• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anual NES Bullet Casting Seminar Feeler Thread

Which Sunday In October

• Total voters
Going to try to do a mold modification demo at the seminar with a 7x lathe and a new Lee 2 cavity mold.

Did a test run on a Lee 356-120TC - This mold dropped small (.3556-.356)

Opened it up to drop .3585-.359 and removed the lube groove. I didn't bother polishing it because the bullets fall out of the mold easily.

For those with a keen eye - yes the micrometer reads ~.3595 but the bullet was hot and was held very loosely. And yes, I did touch the cone on one of the cavities... it was a test run...

IMG_20190811_163057021_HDR.jpg IMG_20190811_163101885_HDR.jpg IMG_20190811_163116021_HDR.jpg IMG_20190811_163224931.jpg IMG_20190811_163228117.jpg IMG_20190811_163320832.jpg

Going to try to do a mold modification demo at the seminar with a 7x lathe and a new Lee 2 cavity mold.

Did a test run on a Lee 356-120TC - This mold dropped small (.3556-.356)

Opened it up to drop .3585-.359 and removed the lube groove. I didn't bother polishing it because the bullets fall out of the mold easily.

For those with a keen eye - yes the micrometer reads ~.3595 but the bullet was hot and was held very loosely. And yes, I did touch the cone on one of the cavities... it was a test run...

View attachment 297021 View attachment 297022 View attachment 297023 View attachment 297024 View attachment 297025 View attachment 297026

Love it!!!
That’s an awesome mod.
Do you think you could center the cavity and drill it out for a standard hollow point pin?

Have you check out hollowpointmold.com?
That’s guy makes serious $$$ drilling some holes in molds!

Once the cavity is lined up for boring out the lube groove, drilling a hole and reaming is relatively easy.
Haven't given much thought to converting a mold though and there isn't much meat on the Lee mold I'm using but might be something to try this winter

If there is a drill press available (or I could bring my micro-mill) - We could fix Lee 2 cavity molds where the pins holding the handles on are falling out (drill out with a #29, tap 8-32 and install a set screw)

Once the cavity is lined up for boring out the lube groove, drilling a hole and reaming is relatively easy.
Haven't given much thought to converting a mold though and there isn't much meat on the Lee mold I'm using but might be something to try this winter

If there is a drill press available (or I could bring my micro-mill) - We could fix Lee 2 cavity molds where the pins holding the handles on are falling out (drill out with a #29, tap 8-32 and install a set screw)

Nice! That’s a failing point in the less Moulds that come with the price point but it’s nice to know how to fix it.

Do you think you could pull of something like this?
I think off all the round ball Moulds I’ve passed on over the years and how this was an ingenious way to make a cool ball-et
I have loaded this one in 45/70 but it drops a little on the small size. I’m going to load it in 45 Colt now.

4FDEFA10-1502-44D7-B749-DD8B96A5FEE3.jpeg

Are you looking to just remove the lube groove? Or open it up (wouldn't end up tangent to the drive band but the difference would be small)
mold.jpeg

So
Are you looking to just remove the lube groove? Or open it up (wouldn't end up tangent to the drive band but the difference would be small)
View attachment 297062
Sorry I should have explained.
This was a round ball mould that some clever dude turned into a collar button bullet with a line groove.

Could you pull that off from a simple round ball mould?

Dropped some cut lines on the picture - getting behind the lube groove to cut a drive band would be a pain. Just boring it with straight sides for Hi-Tek or powder coat would be relatively simple.

Attachments

• mold.jpeg
    mold.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 8
Dropped some cut lines on the picture - getting behind the lube groove to cut a drive band would be a pain. Just boring it with straight sides for Hi-Tek or powder coat would be relatively simple.
Hmm. Wondering if you could not make a front driving band and just have the base band.
Then the line groove would be between the major diameter of the ball and the base band.
Not sure how well that would work but even a Hi-Tek smooth sided version would work well.
I see round ball Moulds on the cheap all the time.

It could make for a lightweight plinker in a centerfire cartridge.

4.3 grains Bulls eye. This bullet and gun dont like BE much? A406B7C7-AE8D-4657-AF17-0CA2D04D3307.jpeg D64262BA-975E-4717-8648-9B4FCE1AE4F8.jpeg 3.5 grains Clays 1.125” COL fed fine and shot well. That high flyer was all my bad booger hook control. image.jpg
Vintage Lyman 452488/431 small body single cavity mold 185 grain SWC
Goimg to make up some good old fashion Lubed smokey powder hole punchers. Drop a target at 25 yards and see what I can do old school service pistol style with the 1911style

oh just a side note LEE 6 cavity mold handles fit almost all molds or are easy converted to fit vs buying expensive handles or hunting down the "small" body mold handles for some of these older molds.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been on for a while. We picked a vacation place in Northern New Hampshire late last Oct. and I have been out straight working on it. I remodeled the inside and that is now done. So I am up for a little relaxing at the seminar. I have a couple of mold mallets left to throw in the pot. I will see if I can come up with some lead and maybe some pewter.

Sorry I haven't been on for a while. We picked a vacation place in Northern New Hampshire late last Oct. and I have been out straight working on it. I remodeled the inside and that is now done. So I am up for a little relaxing at the seminar. I have a couple of mold mallets left to throw in the pot. I will see if I can come up with some lead and maybe some pewter.

I can help a bit on that, also if there are any attendees in the local area of Hanover Ma I can give you some lead to

For those attending if you do not have any lead I will karma those going a batch of lead
9 lb wheel weight ignot and 1lb 50/50 solder .
You can learn what to do with it at the seminar

Alright it looks like the 13th right now.
Sorry for the dates being off but this is set for a sunday not a saturday.
If you're still in please let me know
The other option would be to go for Sunday November 10th if it's open.

I should be able to swing it - I'm normally busy the first and fourth Sundays but can reschedule.

Awesome

So who has questions? anyone on the fence? Anyone thing that casting and cast lead sucks and need to be proven otherwise?

@Richardgc @northny @daggrant99 @BarnBuilder @yanquidog @Artie @BFDX7 @snax

@pastera @BillNed @1919FAN @The Goose

Alright so we're on for the 3rd then? is everyone in?
Details to follow this week as far as location and cost. As stated earlier I'm going to keep the cost down this time and keep away from the long boring smelting. This week drop down the amount of lead everyone takes home to the bullets you can cast while you're there. I'll show a quick demo on smelting (adding some WW to an already molten batch and quick fluxing) and leave way more time for the hands on casting/coating/lubing/loading tips and tricks.

I'll start a sign up thread too.

They charge you to zap it unless tour cashing in 2000lbs. If the yard even admits to having one. Most places just say XR....what?
Really? I’ve had my local yard zap some Lino/mono/foundry to see what was what when I bought like $20 worth. They were more than happy to help

Back
Top Bottom