• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any helium miners on here?!

Depends how you value the infrastructure. I’ve ROI’d my infrastructure (including the miners) in under 10 months. If you strictly count coins invested to coins in my wallet, I’m at a slight profit, but if you count infrastructure resale costs it’s a little better than a 2x. For reference I bought RTX3070 cards at $1200 and I’ve seen them retail at $1400 now so I’m not keen to “mark down” my infrastructure very much. It also keeps providing revenue so why would I want to sell?
And before Dench chimes in that I must be stealing power, if I ran my gear on my residential meter (not my industrial location) and paid the $0.25KWH, my net margin would be about 72%

Costs include the size of space your shit consumes, any hvac costs, etc. (Although admittedly on a small scale this is hard to calculate) Also the hours of work spent setting it up and maintaining all that garbage. (Although i guess once those things run, they stay running absent some big failure).

There's also the "how much cash do you need to start with" problem, WRT making anything beyond a few hundred bucks. Like how much do you have to invest up front to turm $1000/mo profit, clean?

Costs include the size of space your shit consumes, any hvac costs, etc. (Although admittedly on a small scale this is hard to calculate) Also the hours of work spent setting it up and maintaining all that garbage. (Although i guess once those things run, they stay running absent some big failure).

There's also the "how much cash do you need to start with" problem, WRT making anything beyond a few hundred bucks. Like how much do you have to invest up front to turm $1000/mo profit, clean?
I didn’t track the costs of the lumber and fans, I wanna say $750 roughy in the literal build costs for the rack and HVAC. Two 16” shutter fans from amazon, bunch of dimensional lumber. Common furnace filters for filtration. F1A6BBD6-D6E9-451F-9416-ED3699BB6398.jpeg
FE865C8A-4677-48D2-86B7-6AB41537BDBF.jpeg 2285605D-27D9-4297-AE42-18D086C11543.jpeg
864284E5-18BA-4515-B9A0-930F62AA7040.jpeg
22E2F6DA-6D2B-4D7F-A992-71CA57D3F61C.jpeg

Granted we colocate with another business so rent overhead is zero. Mining is so energy dense that it’s a tiny footprint, very easy to colocate..

To your question.
Something like this:
292B4421-CAE7-4DA4-856F-C11F98E813BE.jpeg
Cost about $15000, will run on a regular residential circuit, costs about $250 a month power at $0.25, and will do $1300 or so monthly in revenue. It used to be better, but mining is a game of diminishing returns, and the Eip-1559 change really shafted Ethereum miners. Bitcoin mining is a whole different animal and you really need to be at 0.08/kWh or better to play that game. You also need far more power

Really depends on your kW/hr price

high-tech-tinfoil-hat.jpg
Holy shit, it's my long lost avatar cousin. 🤣🤣

I'm ashamed to admit I've never been to W1AW. Despite living in Connecticut. K1EIC would probably want to beat me were she ever to find out.

That said, as much as I love the math behind cryptocurrencies... fake money. No want. (I know, fiat is fiat, and will soon go to zero. Until it does, and then there's that shiny yellow stuff.)

I don't know how many nitrous oxide parties you've been to, but I'm going to clue you in on a secret... they aren't inhaling helium.

[rofl]

Unless of course they want to talk in a squeaky voice while they are doing the laughing gas. I bet that would have been a big hit!

very confusing to me what is the goal there

they essentially steal and centralize all the LoRaWAN data packets they can get, running a minor pyramid scheme on the side. lemmings who host those data sensing routers get, like, a $10 or so at best. router - which is not a router - sniffs all the LoRaWAN data packets and uploads them somewhere over your own bandwith, and does who knows what else.
and for some reason all this sniffing activity is called 'mining'. hmm. well, may be it is mining in some sense, but nothing like ethereum computations.

not sure what to think yet.
jeez, sounds interesting.
Obviously they are using a lot of coding gain in the modulation scheme. that means low data rates, BUT long range reception...a good tradeoff if you are far from your house.

MOST WLAN networks go in exactly the opposite direction...trying to get the highest data rate with very complex modulation, but completely failing if there is a poor RF signal to noise ratio.

this is kind of like the question: "how come nobody makes a light weight pickup truck with a four cylinder diesel engine in it?"

Back
Top Bottom