• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Norinco AK experience?

SPO38

NES Member
So, I have a Pre-Ban Norinco Type 56 and I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with removing the front sight block or gas block. My understanding is that this task is much easier with some AKs than with others.

I'm attempting to install a Magpul Zhukov handguard, and the handguard retainer and sling mount need to be removed. A lot of people just cut these parts off, but since this is a semi-rare piece, I'd prefer to retain the parts rather than destroy them.

I understand there are a LOT of AK purists out there, even more when it comes to pre-bans, but to each their own.

Because...?
You realize that is a highly sought after collectors piece right? You can list that on the AK Files forum and have it sold within an hour, then buy a Wasr or Arsenal to bubba. Obviously it’s your rifle to do as you chose but really that “Nyet Rifle is fine the way it is” lol

It's your gear do what you like, but if you're in a tactical mood you should consider just building what you want, instead of compromising like you're asking about.

You realize that is a highly sought after collectors piece right? You can list that on the AK Files forum and have it sold within an hour, then buy a Wasr or Arsenal to bubba. Obviously it’s your rifle to do as you chose but really that “Nyet Rifle is fine the way it is” lol
The AK Files will murder him just for suggesting it! An hour? I’ll buy the thing right now just to save it!!

Ugh. I knew this was how this thread was gonna go.

The Type 56 is not in any way a rare firearm. They are all over the world and on almost every continent. Outside of the Vietnam War, there isn't much history attached to them.

The Type 56-S isn't anything special either. There have been thousands imported, and they're just sporters with next to no historical value. They are sought after because there are relatively few of them, but unfortunately their semi-rarity alone is not a merit worthy of posterity.

It's a tool. At the time I bought it because it was a preban underfolder AK I could purchase without legal fuss. Now I want something more utilitarian.

And why do you think the prices of these guns have nearly doubled over the last year? A sudden influx in collectors of 30 year old Chinese military weapon clones that just happens to coincide with a national surge in sales on guns, ammo, and accessories?

Ugh. I knew this was how this thread was gonna go.

The Type 56 is not in any way a rare firearm. They are all over the world and on almost every continent. Outside of the Vietnam War, there isn't much history attached to them.

The Type 56-S isn't anything special either. There have been thousands imported, and they're just sporters with next to no historical value. They are sought after because there are relatively few of them, but unfortunately their semi-rarity alone is not a merit worthy of posterity.

It's a tool. At the time I bought it because it was a preban underfolder AK I could purchase without legal fuss. Now I want something more utilitarian.

And why do you think the prices of these guns have nearly doubled over the last year? A sudden influx in collectors of 30 year old Chinese military weapon clones that just happens to coincide with a national surge in sales on guns, ammo, and accessories?
First of all I absolutely respect that it’s YOUR rifle so do what you like but in your opening post you say it’s “Semi Rare” and you want to salvage the pieces, I think that’s going to be tough. Believe me I used to own 11 AK’s and I butchered the F’k out of them with rails and tacticool’ed them out, I love the Magpul and modern shit on an AK but I never touched my 56s. I think if you really want to do this go to the AK files, there are some very knowledgeable dudes there. Good luck

First of all I absolutely respect that it’s YOUR rifle so do what you like but in your opening post you say it’s “Semi Rare” and you want to salvage the pieces, I think that’s going to be tough. Believe me I used to own 11 AK’s and I butchered the F’k out of them with rails and tacticool’ed them out, I love the Magpul and modern shit on an AK but I never touched my 56s. I think if you really want to do this go to the AK files, there are some very knowledgeable dudes there. Good luck
I bought it a few years ago and planned to keep in standard configuration, but with everything going on in the world, I need more utility.

I already have a good amount of magazines and 7.62x39, so an AK fit the bill nicely. I haven't found much in that realm when factoring in quality and availability in MA,, so I figured I'd just modify what I have.

I dont plan any modifications that aren't reversible. The Zhukov handguard is the most invasive aspect. It requires the removal of the handguard retainer, which in free states most users just hack off. Obviously I'd prefer to retain the option of returning the weapon into its original configuration. The plan is simply to remove the front sight and gas block, remove the necessary parts, then put the sight and gas block back on.

The entire purpose of this thread was to find the least invasive way of removing the parts so as to maintain the originality of the gun. So far I've just heard a lot of nothing.

I bought it a few years ago and planned to keep in standard configuration, but with everything going on in the world, I need more utility.

I already have a good amount of magazines and 7.62x39, so an AK fit the bill nicely. I haven't found much in that realm when factoring in quality and availability in MA,, so I figured I'd just modify what I have.

I dont plan any modifications that aren't reversible. The Zhukov handguard is the most invasive aspect. It requires the removal of the handguard retainer, which in free states most users just hack off. Obviously I'd prefer to retain the option of returning the weapon into its original configuration. The plan is simply to remove the front sight and gas block, remove the necessary parts, then put the sight and gas block back on.

The entire purpose of this thread was to find the least invasive way of removing the parts so as to maintain the originality of the gun. So far I've just heard a lot of nothing.
I would give you the answer if I had the info but I don’t. That’s why I suggested the AK Files. But i will direct you to McPherson firearms in Brentwood NH. The owner is an AK nut, he has some crazy shit in his store so it would definitely be worth your while to give them a call. They are great guys and will tell you straight up if they can do it or not. My buddy had his AK worked on and I’ve had some AR shit done and all was good.

This.

IMO if you take that thing apart you're basically punching yourself in the dick.. you could roll that thing, buy two other AKs and mod them to your heart's content for what that thing is probably worth with regards to what some retard will pay for it...

IMO if you take that thing apart you're basically punching yourself in the dick.. you could roll that thing, buy two other AKs and mod them to your heart's content for what that thing is probably worth with regards to what some retard will pay for it...
Point me in the direction of these 2 AKs.

Point me in the direction of these 2 AKs.

I understand that given the current market conditions.... but if you planned on modifying the thing I would plan on keeping it forever if you're doing that then do whatever..... I sure wish I had kept my original Norinco.... at least it went to a good home....

This is why God made RAS47s. Why are you married to the Magpul handguard? There are plenty of other options that utilize the factory retainer.

So, I have a Pre-Ban Norinco Type 56 and I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with removing the front sight block or gas block. My understanding is that this task is much easier with some AKs than with others.

I'm attempting to install a Magpul Zhukov handguard, and the handguard retainer and sling mount need to be removed. A lot of people just cut these parts off, but since this is a semi-rare piece, I'd prefer to retain the parts rather than destroy them.

I understand there are a LOT of AK purists out there, even more when it comes to pre-bans, but to each their own.
It has risk. If you don't know what you're doing you will destroy the rifle. They aren't made to be disassembled pre se. If the parts were overly tight on spec when they were first installed the risk is even greater. You must protect the muzzle tip as it can be easily distorted.

And the value of your "improved" MAK90 is about a third the price it would be if you just left it alone, since it's money you're hung up on. You can't see the forest for the trees.
We're talking present day. Right here right now. It's a lot cheaper to buy a norinco in MA and put a lot of rounds down range as compared to the Pre 94 ARs going at the $3000 mark

We're talking present day. Right here right now. It's a lot cheaper to buy a norinco in MA and put a lot of rounds down range as compared to the Pre 94 ARs going at the $3000 mark

The OP is likely to damage his rifle. At which point the cost of ammo is moot.

Back
Top Bottom