any one reload for 45-90 smokeless ? any one use filllers?

I reload for my fathers pedasoli sharp 45-90 with smokeless powder and i was just wondering if people are using fillers and what, and if any one has any good mid power level target loads, thanks

I'll try to help. I shoot and load for a couple of 45/70's, almost all with cast bullets. I was beating myself up with stout loads when a buddy got me onto unique for rifle loads. He loaded Unique in his 45/90, and a couple of other older falling blocks. Since I started using unique I haven't looked back. Mild, pleasant recoil, low powder charges, and really not that far behind that of regular loads using 3031 and 4198. My favorite is 13.5 Gr of Unique under a 405hr Hallow base cast lead bullet. As for filler, Unique is not position sensitive and I cant discern any difference whatsoever when using unique. I've seen people use everything from cotton tuft, corn meal, tom cream of wheat.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks stape that does help alot actually because i use unique for all my pistol loads but have never heard of it for 45-90.. and i already have 405 grain flat nose cast bullets, i dont think that will make to much of a difference...is that 13.5 grains of unique for 45-70 or 45/90..and if there any way you could see what other unique loads he has for 45-90, like what are the safe ranges for what grain bullests

I'll try to help. I shoot and load for a couple of 45/70's, almost all with cast bullets. I was beating myself up with stout loads when a buddy got me onto unique for rifle loads. He loaded Unique in his 45/90, and a couple of other older falling blocks. Since I started using unique I haven't looked back. Mild, pleasant recoil, low powder charges, and really not that far behind that of regular loads using 3031 and 4198. My favorite is 13.5 Gr of Unique under a 405hr Hallow base cast lead bullet. As for filler, Unique is not position sensitive and I cant discern any difference whatsoever when using unique. I've seen people use everything from cotton tuft, corn meal, tom cream of wheat.

Good luck.

Sorry forgot to add this so you see that i replyed

A couple of thoughts. What about some of the fluffier powders such as Trail Boss? Probably no need for a filler then. What about .410 wads for a spacer. I've never read about this, it just popped into my head reading the OP.
I do recall reading that sometimes fillers raised pressures dramatically under certain conditions and by and large were abandoned by many of the old timers. I wouldn't count that last sentence as fact. But more as a reason to do some serious research.

A friend has been looking for a sage load in the chambering for a rifle his Dad left him. Sweet rifle in excellent condition. I'm sure he will be checking in at some point. Subbed.

A couple of thoughts. What about some of the fluffier powders such as Trail Boss? Probably no need for a filler then. What about .410 wads for a spacer. I've never read about this, it just popped into my head reading the OP.
I do recall reading that sometimes fillers raised pressures dramatically under certain conditions and by and large were abandoned by many of the old timers. I wouldn't count that last sentence as fact. But more as a reason to do some serious research.

The gentleman who taught me a lot echoes the same though on fillers. That said trailboss is great for light loads. I use it for 7.62x54 r with cast bullets. "Target' load. Not really but is fun and cheap enough.

www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I also like H4895 for reduced loads

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle% only use H4895 if there is. Current published data for you cartridge.

Go over to castboolits.com endless info there.

I have no experience in the 45xXX loads. I do use 2400 for my large 30cal rifle loads. no fillers and produces a very good round for cheap.

I have since switched to almost all my large cal reduced/cast loads to trailboss. as long as you do not compress it and follow the instructions you cant over charge it.

Last edited:
Thanks stape that does help alot actually because i use unique for all my pistol loads but have never heard of it for 45-90.. and i already have 405 grain flat nose cast bullets, i dont think that will make to much of a difference...is that 13.5 grains of unique for 45-70 or 45/90..and if there any way you could see what other unique loads he has for 45-90, like what are the safe ranges for what grain bullests

That 13.5 was what I run in the 45-70. I started off with Unique specifically because at the time I was shooting allot of 45-70 out of a 12" barrelled TC Contender Pistol, and almost no powder really burned well or all the way with a tube that short, and thats when my buddy mentioned Unique. I get a full burn with Unique, and even with such a small charge for a case as big as the 45-70, a get pretty consistant FPS when chrono'd. I'll ask my buddy and also look at some of my manuals. I know there is allot of Rifle loads using unique in the Lyman 49th, and I'd bet there is some data for the 45/90.

I use 12 grs. of Redot in my 45-70 loads , You don't have to worry about powder orientation no fillers needed its worked safe and flawless in all my antiques , If you get a chance Google Ed Harris the load , its all about using Red Dot in military cartridges for light loads .

Paging The Goose.

I've had pretty good luck with light loads of pistol powder (~10 gr Unique) in my .45-70's w/o a filler but 45-90 is bigger...

I couldn't find a published load using unique in the 45-90. I'm not going to do a search and tell you that's the data, you can use google as much as me, and use your judgement as well, but anything from castboolits has always done me good. If I had a 45-90, I wouldn't think twice about starting off with 14gr of Unique under a 300-400gr cast bullet. Jmho.

Thanks for all the help every one...im going to do some more research on using unique and try and find some proven loads for 45-90 and hopefully that will be my new 45-90 load because i use that for all my pistol loads already

I don't know what kind of barrel you have on that rifle but I would recommend you do a lot of reading before you try anything. Historically 45-90 was developed by Sharps and chambered almost exclusively in rifles that had softer barrels and used black powder. They cannot take today's higher pressure loads. I have been looking for loads for my 1886 Winchester 45-90 and almost all loads I have found have pressures exceeding recommended limits.There is very limited information that I have found and I don't want to ruin a $5000 rifle experimenting. While many modern smokeless powders like 5744 and trailboss sound attractive they have initial pressure spikes which can ruin an older black powder action. The 1886 45-90 was called an express load and typically used a 305 grn bullet over 90 grn of black powder ( thats old style black powder) The heavier 45-70 bullets can cause problems. I don't have alot of experience with this but all my research has led me in a cautious and slow direction. Have fun and be safe

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of barrel you have on that rifle but I would recommend you do a lot of reading before you try anything. Historically 45-90 was developed by Winchester and chambered almost exclusively in rifles that had softer barrels and used black powder. They cannot take today's higher pressure loads. I have been looking for loads for my 1886 Winchester 45-90 and almost all loads I have found have pressures exceeding recommended limits.There is very limited information that I have found and I don't want to ruin a $5000 rifle experimenting. While many modern smokeless powders like 5744 and trailboss sound attractive they have initial pressure spikes which can ruin an older black powder action. Have fun and be safe

I know what you mean..its not a original but its still only ment for black power so it cant handle crazy loads..im just looking for light target loads

I know what you mean..its not a original but its still only ment for black power so it cant handle crazy loads..im just looking for light target loads
Call IMR/Hodgdon and ask them for data for trailboss. I don't think pressure will be a issue with trailboss.

Back
Top Bottom