Anyone have either of the Winchester safes from tractor supply?

If so, what's your take on it? Level of security, value, etc. I only found one post on it a couple of years old.

Its as good as any of the cheap safes. I like the shelf setup and the door hanger. If someone was determined and had time it can be brute forced like any safe. I thought it was a good value compared to the stack-on and other stuff that is out there.
I looked at a lot of them and settled on the Winchester.

I have the Winchester 24 gun safe. For it's price point it is great, door opens 180 degrees, and is removable. Back of door organizer is a nice feature. Weight wise, it's manageable to move without the need for a professional. They frequently promote them for $100 - $150 off, and Tractor Supply does it right and does not charge sales tax.

I have the Winchester safe from Tractor Supply. I think mine is the "9 gun" model. It serves my purposes very well. I currently keep 5 long guns in it and 2 handguns..........handgun ammo and rifle ammo on the top shelf......probably 600 rounds worth. Shotgun ammo stacked against the back wall probably 2,000+ rounds worth and the long guns in front of the ammo. Not bad for what I paid for it. THe lock mechanism works very well........have had the safe since July 2013 and I open and close it at least twice a day to retrieve my EDC gun and put it away when I get home so it is used a lot not just sitting in the basement. Hope that helps

If you're talking about 24 gun safe that's on sale at TS for $649, I have seen it. It's not a bad mid-grade model but I think it's a little small. I purchased the Cannon 48 gun safe at TS on Black Friday for $699 and I've been very happy with it. With that said, if I had it to do over again I would grab this one at Costco.

http://www.costco.com/Sports-Afield-6040-Executive-Vault.product.100089947.html

I have the pony 19 got it at sportsmans den in quincy. well built, easy to install and the combo lock is OK, no way to change the combo though. However, there is one problem with it. It's full already, may have to get a second one :)

I bought mine after Thanksgiving, $549 if I recall. Great safe for that price point, I don't think you can get anything better for that amount. Has a lot of locking bolts, door panel and nice shelf layout. I like the winchester, I was unimpressed with those offered by Dicks and Sports Authority, the Field and streams, stack on's, etc.

I have had problems with the keypad, and other forum posts confirm that this is not uncommon. I'd get one with a key backup if I had it to do over.

I purchased the winchester 24 gun safe from Tractor Supply last May for 549.00 It was def worth the money compared to some of the other safes I looked at in the similar $500 to $700 price range. The key pad failed on mine in October it kept killing the battery. I called Winchester and they sent out a replacement in a few days. It was easy to install. I worried about it happening again so I called them and said I was having problems again and they sent me another one so now I have a backup keypad. Overall I like it just wish it was bigger lol

Winchester 24 gun model here.
After days of research here and everywhere this is what I came up with for my needs.
Didn't want cheap but also didn't feel I needed a $4000 safe to protect $1000 worth of guns.
No problems, no complaints.
Everything I read said this safe is the best bang for the buck.
Love it.

Great point.

The other thing too is, if you watch the video's of people breaking into a stack on, etc level safe in 30 minutes, they always have it laying on the ground and using long pry bars and their body weight to pry. If you bolt it down, it's not going to be easy to pry without the ability to use your body weight. If there is a need for higher level security, put in an alarm system too.

If you get liberty from lowes they will deliver for $65 with the forklift pretty much anywhere it can reach within reason.

I had looked at the winchester but saw images where the stitch welded construction was compromised by a hammer attack at the seam and the top came off like a tin can.

I have the big silver Winchester. Usually priced around $700 and on sale a couple times a year for $6xx. I agree with others who say they wish there was a key backup, but i over compensate by changing the battery at least once a year.

Anyone who says it's "a little small" isn't really that bright. I defy you to find me a gun safe I can't fill up. ;)

How heavy is the door itself when removed from the safe ?
What you should do is quote the person that you are asking the question to. That way they will get a notice.

Before you do that you should float your mouse arrow over their name, that will tell you when they were last here.
This is a 10 year old thread that you bumped, a lot of these guys are long gone.

I have the Winchester 24 gun safe. For it's price point it is great, door opens 180 degrees, and is removable. Back of door organizer is a nice feature. Weight wise, it's manageable to move without the need for a professional. They frequently promote them for $100 - $150 off, and Tractor Supply does it right and does not charge sales tax.
The new guy, 2 posts before this one has a question for you.

Under 200 I'd say.
The whole safe isn't really that heavy.
Either that or I was younger and in good shape last time I moved it.

Under 200 I'd say.
The whole safe isn't really that heavy.
Either that or I was younger and in good shape last time I moved it.
Definitely.

I can remove and reset the door by myself, although it’s not fun.

Two people should be able to move this thing anyplace it needed to go including up or down stairs assuming they’re not idiots.

Never have idiots help you move a safe.

I have one of the narrow (20 gun?) Winchester safes from TS. Bought it on a Black Friday sale and it was something like $100 off. It seems like a fairly nice safe and happens to fit the limited space that I have available. I was able to move it myself with a heavy duty 2-wheeler dolly, with door in place.

I'm not too fond of Liberty safes after hearing that they retain back door combinations and give them out to authorities on request.

Everyone that has one: you MUST go now and find a direct replacement keypad, and keep it on hand.
They are a bit tough to find but they are out there.
It's not if they fail, but when.....and trust me, not being able to reliably get into your safe will take years off your life in a very short span of time.
I asked a locksmith about swapping it out for a dial, he said no-can-do.

Everyone that has one: you MUST go now and find a direct replacement keypad, and keep it on hand.
It's not if they fail, but when.....and trust me, not being able to reliably get into your safe will take years off your life in a very short span of time.
That's why there's a hide-a-key.

As far as I understand you can replace them with a dial. Here is one that is supposed to work: Sargent & Greenlead , SKU: SG6730-100. S&G 3-Wheel Lock Package w/ Front Reading Dial & Ring, Black & White

I believe the keypad is an LG5715 from MBA USA. LA GARD 1-Battery Keypad, Black

Disclaimer: I have not actually replaced mine. Do your own research. If you buy one and it doesn't work, it ain't my fault.

Last edited:
Not doubting it (dial replacement), however, taking out the guts of the door and replacing the keypad myself, it looks like replacing it with a dial would be a bit of a task, probably not one a locksmith will want to spend 4 hours on at $150 an hour for a $400 safe. 🥸

Back
Top Bottom