Anyone have either of the Winchester safes from tractor supply?

Not doubting it (dial replacement), however, taking out the guts of the door and replacing the keypad myself, it looks like replacing it with a dial would be a bit of a task, probably not one a locksmith will want to spend 4 hours on at $150 an hour for a $400 safe. 🥸

I can't speak about actually changing the lock having not done it. I have looked at the video and read the instructions and it seems if you are mechanically inclined it should not be that bad. Also if you buy from MBA they have a toll free line you can call for assistance. Read the reviews on MBA and there is nothing but good to say about the guys who answer the phone.

I have one of the narrow (20 gun?) Winchester safes from TS. Bought it on a Black Friday sale and it was something like $100 off. It seems like a fairly nice safe and happens to fit the limited space that I have available. I was able to move it myself with a heavy duty 2-wheeler dolly, with door in place.

I'm not too fond of Liberty safes after hearing that they retain back door combinations and give them out to authorities on request.

I called them and told them they have no right to use that name anymore, and suggested they change their name to bootlicker safe.

I can't speak about actually changing the lock having not done it. I have looked at the video and read the instructions and it seems if you are mechanically inclined it should not be that bad. Also if you buy from MBA they have a toll free line you can call for assistance. Read the reviews on MBA and there is nothing but good to say about the guys who answer the phone.

Replacing a lock isn't a big deal if you're mechanically inclined. The only tricky part is setting the combo and avoiding the deadzone, if you mess that up you can render the lock inoperable. First and second numbers usually need to be more than 15% apart or else the tumbler won't move far enough for the second number in the combo to land in a gate.

Back
Top Bottom