• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone here on VA disability

I medically retired in February, 19 at 90%. When I put in an appeal and a claim for a few more things in April, had my C&P exams later in the month and by the end of August I was determined to be 100% Permanent and Total, got my backpay without issue and haven’t had any problems since. One of the guys at the VFW said because I’m permanent and total I won’t have to do anymore exams, is that true? I read something about dependents educational assistance I can use for my kids but I can’t find too much info on it. Has anyone here used it?
From what I understand, yeah. P&T is just that, permanent. Check out hadit.com

Obama tried, and failed, to add anyone on SSDI with a representative payee also placed on the pp list. I've had a number of clients denied licenses or purchases because they named a fiduciary.
We’re they 100% disabled veterans or TDIU veterans? If so, were they getting SMC for a family member doing their finances? If this is true they should not be denied an LTC on suitability. Hopefully u successfully got them there LTC. Now, if they have been locked up in mental health at the VA then that’s an issue with licensing and 4473. But SMC for veterans is not a disqualifier. Are all your clients major PTSD cases?

I medically retired in February, 19 at 90%. When I put in an appeal and a claim for a few more things in April, had my C&P exams later in the month and by the end of August I was determined to be 100% Permanent and Total, got my backpay without issue and haven’t had any problems since. One of the guys at the VFW said because I’m permanent and total I won’t have to do anymore exams, is that true? I read something about dependents educational assistance I can use for my kids but I can’t find too much info on it. Has anyone here used it?

1) Should not be any exams. (Years ago the VA scheduled a C&P for the first 5 years but they stopped doing it.)
2) My youngest son used it. No problems. He arranged it all. I did not have to get involved. "The program offers dependents up to 45 months of education benefits, which may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training." Your spouse is also eligible. Google VA Form 35.
3) Apply for social security. I received SSDI benefits in addition to VA comp.
4) If you are schedular you can earn money. If you are TDIU it is probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
1) Should not be any exams.
2) My youngest son used it. No problems. He arranged it all. I did not have to get involved. "The program offers dependents up to 45 months of education benefits, which may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training." Your spouse is also eligible. Google VA Form 35.

Awesome info thanks, I’m in voc rehab right now, can’t you not collect SSDI and work. I intend to return to the workforce once my degree is complete.

Screw the representative thing ... too risky it will be used against you. Have the money direct deposited to a joint account with the person you would trust to be the payee, or to your own account and set up a POA relationship (the later protects the funds from creditors attaching the other party on a joint account)

>Apply for social security. I received SSDI benefits in addition to VA comp.
This is either really easy or really difficult, depending on whether or your your disability is in the blue book. If it's in the book, it's a per-se disability and you simply prove the malady, not the malady prevents you from working.

Awesome info thanks, I’m in voc rehab right now, can’t you not collect SSDI and work. I intend to return to the workforce once my degree is complete.

I declined the voc. rehab and went on SSDI along with the 100%. (I am 90% with TDIU) It's a complicated question with no clear answer. If your schedular, you can work but if you can work you are not eligible for SSDI. As mentioned by Rob Boudrie it can be a difficult process. The decision is based upon medical records, and I went through the appeal process. I did pro bono work as a special education advocate for many years.
Service disabled veteran-owned small business is another avenue to explore. Google sdvosb certification

An sdvosb certified business must be owned and managed by you, and you must make all decisions, but I don't recall any rule that says you have to take a paycheck and report income. Your wife might be the salesperson and you might decide to pay her $200,000/yr. Many long term options and voc. rehab isn't always the best place for answers.

Last edited:
1) Should not be any exams. (Years ago the VA scheduled a C&P for the first 5 years but they stopped doing it.)
4) If you are schedular you can earn money. If you are TDIU it is probably not a good idea.
Don’t forget your brown ID. U need for CHAMP and as well as SpaceA flights. They do them at Hanscom.

Screw the representative thing ... too risky it will be used against you. Have the money direct deposited to a joint account with the person you would trust to be the payee, or to your own account and set up a POA relationship (the later protects the funds from creditors attaching the other party on a joint account)

>Apply for social security. I received SSDI benefits in addition to VA comp.
This is either really easy or really difficult, depending on whether or your your disability is in the blue book. If it's in the book, it's a per-se disability and you simply prove the malady, not the malady prevents you from working.
The only time I’ve ever heard of a veteran on SMC get his guns taken or 2A denied is because of a mental health admission to a hospital (mostly a va hospital). Now, that means you gotta answer a big Yes on 4473 if you have been mentally adjudicated or whatever that question says, lol. I know guys in free states on SMC, have been admitted to the VA mental health in the past and answer no.

The only time I’ve ever heard of a veteran on SMC get his guns taken or 2A denied is because of a mental health admission to a hospital (mostly a va hospital). Now, that means you gotta answer a big Yes on 4473 if you have been mentally adjudicated or whatever that question says, lol. I know guys in free states on SMC, have been admitted to the VA mental health in the past and answer no.
The fact that denial for having a representative payee has been proposed once means there is a risk of this rearing its ugly head in the future. Using the intermediary of a direct deposit account w/a POA holder is what one calls contingency planning.

At the federal level, the criteria is "involuntay" mental hospital admission, with "evaluations" not counting unless they result in an involuntary admission.

You are allowed up to $1100/month (approx) working income if on SSDI. If you earn more than that, it will count as time (per month) towards the trial work period which allows you to collect SSDI for you first 9 months after returning to work. BTDT, on disability for 6 years 3 months and 5 days (approx) not counting the trial work period, and "lost" two of those 9 months due to a consulting job (getting paid to sit in court and not testify) I picked up while on disability. Best feeling in the world calling the Social Security service number and telling them to take me off disability.

Track65, VA has a very convoluted method for determining hearing loss. They have a chart that compares audiometry results with speech discrimination. Even with severe tinnitus you can usually hear the single words in the sound booth so you end up with 0% or 10% max. You need a private audiometry test to ensure the VA test is valid. Once the appeal period passed you can't file again unless you have new and material evidence indicating the condition has worsened. If you failed to mention CIB in previous claims that would likely be new and material. Did VA deny you based upon no service connection or was your high frequency hearing loss not severe enough?
This was about 10 years ago. I had 2 test one through a hospital in R.I. that was set by my then Doctor and another one with the Boston VA. Both test showed significant loss of hearing in one ear. I was denied because I could not prove it was service connected. I guess they figure gunfire from 50 cal and M60's do not count.

DEERS is for tricare. CHAMPVA is through VAMC., not DOD. Dependents only need ID if they want to enter military base without a sponsor.
I
DEERS is for tricare. CHAMPVA is through VAMC., not DOD. Dependents only need ID if they want to enter military base without a sponsor.
how do they get medical treatment if they have no id? They just use veterans award letter?

This was about 10 years ago. I had 2 test one through a hospital in R.I. that was set by my then Doctor and another one with the Boston VA. Both test showed significant loss of hearing in one ear. I was denied because I could not prove it was service connected. I guess they figure gunfire from 50 cal and M60's do not count.

If you do not have any service connected disabilities, it is worth reapplying. If you get 10% you are eligible for VA health care. Boston VAMC is excellent. I can go to any hospital in Boston but I choose VAMC. A new application requires a new hearing test, and a new affidavit with appropriate documentation. Send me a PM and I will make a list of what you need. VA claim process is very vet friendly these days. Much more likely to approve a claim.

(I went on one operation on top of APC. It was great! No slogging through shit all day long. Only had a problem once when driver went under a tree filled with millions of fire ants. Whole squad jumped off top and started ripping off all web gear and clothes. Those suckers bite! My other fond memory of tracks is they were packed with cases of c-rats. All you could eat and go back for seconds. On the ground we couldn't carry much. Thanks for the ride :) Cu Chi, Tay NInh, Dau Tieng, 1966

If you do not have any service connected disabilities, it is worth reapplying. If you get 10% you are eligible for VA health care. Boston VAMC is excellent. I can go to any hospital in Boston but I choose VAMC. A new application requires a new hearing test, and a new affidavit with appropriate documentation. Send me a PM and I will make a list of what you need. VA claim process is very vet friendly these days. Much more likely to approve a claim.

(I went on one operation on top of APC. It was great! No slogging through shit all day long. Only had a problem once when driver went under a tree filled with millions of fire ants. Whole squad jumped off top and started ripping off all web gear and clothes. Those suckers bite! My other fond memory of tracks is they were packed with cases of c-rats. All you could eat and go back for seconds. On the ground we couldn't carry much. Thanks for the ride :) Cu Chi, Tay NInh, Dau Tieng, 1966

Even without a disability you should qualify for VA healthcare. Apply. Free to apply and no premiums.

I

how do they get medical treatment if they have no id? They just use veterans award letter?

VAMC issues a separate photo ID (VHIC) for anyone eligible for healthcare. DOD has issued new regulations allowing anyone with VHIC access to PX, commissary, MWR, etc but I don't know if all bases have implemented it yet. I have the DOD "brown" ID so I'm not really following the process. If you have VA Health Identification Card and it is labeled "service connected" you are now able to enter any base with PX or MWR activities.

Even without a disability you should qualify for VA healthcare. Apply. Free to apply and no premiums.
Correct, but you end up in low priority group and if facility is at capacity they won't assign you a PCP. Note that priority group assignment is also income based and there are co-pays unless you are service connected.

Thanks for the info I don't think I want to go through the process again of hearing test and the paper work. The last time I filed I had help from our local VA agent. I will give it some thought but at 73 I don't know if I want to deal with the shit again. I served with 11th Cav 66-67. also TayNinh, Cu Chi, HoBo Woods, Iron Triangle.

Thanks for the info I don't think I want to go through the process again of hearing test and the paper work. The last time I filed I had help from our local VA agent. I will give it some thought but at 73 I don't know if I want to deal with the shit again. I served with 11th Cav 66-67. also TayNinh, Cu Chi, HoBo Woods, Iron Triangle.

Michelin rubber plantation, Boi Loi Woods, Hobo woods, indian country. US never did get rid of the VC/NVA in the area.

I understand your reluctance to deal with VBA. I also went through many appeals. VBA has gone through a major overhaul and is a lot more vet friendly than years past. The best reason for getting the 10% are the free hearing aids. I get a new set of phonaks every couple of years. $8000 at retail prices. Local VA agents are clueless when it comes to claims.

Michelin rubber plantation, Boi Loi Woods, Hobo woods, indian country. US never did get rid of the VC/NVA in the area.

I understand your reluctance to deal with VBA. I also went through many appeals. VBA has gone through a major overhaul and is a lot more vet friendly than years past. The best reason for getting the 10% are the free hearing aids. I get a new set of phonaks every couple of years. $8000 at retail prices. Local VA agents are clueless when it comes to claims.
Thank you for your support and encouragement. Thats what I was thinking about 10% to cover me for hearing aids and a reduction in property tax. Did you serve with the 196th Infantry ? We did a lot of operations with that unit.

You are not required to prove anything (as a combat veteran)...Title 38 USC: you have 'the benefit of doubt' when it comes to a claim.

Thank you for your support and encouragement. Thats what I was thinking about 10% to cover me for hearing aids and a reduction in property tax. Did you serve with the 196th Infantry ? We did a lot of operations with that unit.

Attached to 25th at CuChi, them moved to 196th when they arrived at TayNinh. I was in a demo team, traveled all over the country. VBA has really changed. No longer need to 'prove' combat in order to get PTSD award. If you claim a mortar shell landed 1/2 mile away and woke you up you get PTSD award. I personally think it's BS. VBA needed more claims so they could all keep their jobs. Solution? Everybody gets a participation award.

A fully developed claim is still advisable. It starts with a new hearing test. You can get a cheap one at Costco. The supporting documentation should still be bulletproof. For example:

"I was a member of A troop, 1/11 Cavalry. I was a track commander assigned to an APC. During Operation Cedar Falls I was stationed at French Fort along with 3 other APc's. At approximately 3:00AM we were attacked by an estimated battalion of VC. I fired my .50 caliber machine gun for about 2 hours, going through 4 cans of ammunition. My M-60 gunner, positioned at the rear of the APC, fired an estimated 6 cans of ammunition. At one point, a hand grenade detonated beside my APC leaving numerous gouges in the left side. The next day, my ears were ringing and I could not hear normal conversation. The ringing subsided but did not completely go away."
v.
"My hearing was damaged by .50 cal fire while I was on an APC"

You get the message. The other critical pieces are a set of personal records proving you were assigned to 1/11, and a set of service records proving 1/11 was in combat during Operation Cedar Falls.
Provide excellent documentation (presuming you meet criteria for schedule of rating code 6260) Before I filed I searched the Board of Veterans Appeals decisions to make sure I covered all the bases. The Board of Veterans' Appeals Decision search results

If you want to file I can give you a better list of what you need.

-Gary B/168 Eng Bn (Cmbt) "Tunnel Busters"

You are not required to prove anything (as a combat veteran)...Title 38 USC: you have 'the benefit of doubt' when it comes to a claim.

a civilian rater decides your claim. They are not medically trained. VBA has gone from a backlog of over 600,000 claims in 2015 to less than 80,000 claims today. How? Probably be denying most of them forcing them onto the appeals process where you are more apt to get benefit of the doubt. You really have to connect the dots for the rater and provide bulletproof documentation if you want quick approval.

Back
Top Bottom