Anyone interested in doing some sessions?

Like fire starting, or plant identification, etc?

Mainly wondering because I have a lot of free time(at the moment) for the summer and want to do something productive. Plus I'd bring my video camera along and make some short segments about that stuff.

Burn Pile!

I have a Big pile of Brush in the Back yard that you can burn.

Gasoline work well but make one hell of a WUMPH! when you light it.

[wink]

Jorgensen.JPG

Crap, let this go for almost a month. Anyone know of any locations to try this stuff? Or some kind of classroom setting not to practice, but to discuss this stuff?

questions

I'm not sure what you were asking here. Were you looking for someone to teach you this stuff? You can try fire starting in your own back yard. Not too difficult but the friction methods do tend to produce a lot of smoke. I have been "weedeating" and using medicinal plants my whole life and I always see something usefull whenever I go for a walk around the neighborhood or my lawn for that matter.

I would be interested...

Not that it's taken seriously. But in the Scouts...we did a lot of fire starting classes.

I don't keep it on me, but do have a block of magnesium and flint just in case I need to start a fire and have no flame.

As opposed to seeking out a class setting why not just having an informal training group. I am sure that there are people on here who have a knowledge base on a particular topic who would be willing to share with the have nots. We all have strengths and weaknesses.

Be honest. What do you know a lot about? What would you like to learn? I, for one example, use a lot of wild plants for food and medicinal purposes. But, there are definitely some things that I could use some work on. What skills do you have to offer?

"Survival" is an all encompassing term. Weaponcraft, mechanical abilities, etc.. all come into play.

Seriously, this intrigues me. What can you bring to the table?

Any one interested? Or, am I simply having a manic episode?[grin]

As opposed to seeking out a class setting why not just having an informal training group. I am sure that there are people on here who have a knowledge base on a particular topic who would be willing to share with the have nots. We all have strengths and weaknesses.

Be honest. What do you know a lot about? What would you like to learn? I, for one example, use a lot of wild plants for food and medicinal purposes. But, there are definitely some things that I could use some work on. What skills do you have to offer?

"Survival" is an all encompassing term. Weaponcraft, mechanical abilities, etc.. all come into play.

Seriously, this intrigues me. What can you bring to the table?

Any one interested? Or, am I simply having a manic episode?[grin]

I am the Director for a Wilderness Counseling and Therapy program. I have worked on mountain rescue/search & rescue teams both here and in Colorado. I also teach Wilderness First-Aid and First Responder courses. I run training cycles for my staff every ten weeks for new skills as well as refreshers. If anyone is interested in "tagging along" and learning wilderness skills I would be happy to open spots when available. Some trainings include some backpacking so you need to have your own gear and be in reasonable physical shape to carry a pack and not have a heart attack on me. =)
The next training will be "Winter Operations" and will take place sometime in October. PM me if you might be interested.
If enough people are interested we could pull $ together and rent a cabin at a local boyscout res. and put together a weekend of it in the fall.
Just some thoughts...

That sounds pretty cool.

My wife is also friends with a woman from Vermont that is an "Herbalist". She teaches courses all over the world and has written several books on Herbal Medicines, Tinctures, Edible plants,Etc.

My wife said she would ask her if she would be willing to teach a course for us. Would anyone be interested?

I'll take whatever I can get. Though something I would want to be able to do is bring my video camera along and put up videos on it later.

That sounds pretty cool.

My wife is also friends with a woman from Vermont that is an "Herbalist". She teaches courses all over the world and has written several books on Herbal Medicines, Tinctures, Edible plants,Etc.

My wife said she would ask her if she would be willing to teach a course for us. Would anyone be interested?

I'm pretty sure that Nicolle would LOVE to do that... If she goes, I would go.

I'm sure that I could do a little research, brush up on my fire-starting skills and with another person, do some teaching...

From making fire starters ahead of time to carry in your pack, to using friction from vines, sticks, and a rock, to using man made items like Flint, Magnesium, your glasses, etc...\

Again, it's been a long time since I've put many of these to practical use, but with a little time, some reading and such...I'd chip in my time to go over it with people.

I will ask my wife to find out what would be involved in putting together a group to learn about the medicinal herbs and edible plants. It may be a week or so as I think the woman is in Alaska right now for a few weeks. Then I think she is of to Italy for an Herbal syposium in Tuscany...Must be nice...

I have A house in Pittsfield Vt. The green mountain national forest is right up the road. It is a ski house that has 4 twin beds, two queen beds and two couches... I can use it any time!!! I just need time to take of from work because I work week ends!

I do not know sh1t about survival

Read my mind

+1

I've been into these skills for some years. I'm by no means an expert, but could teach or demonstrate what I know about fire starting skills (friction, flint/steel, ferrocerium) as well as cordage, basic traps and flint knapping. I've done firestarting demos for the scouts. I don't have a ton of free time, but who does these days?

I've got some very basic understanding of plants for tinder, edibility and cordage.

As for the MA Compass & Survival course taught by the state, I recommend it. It's a blast.

Best location for this would be either a state park with fire pits or a local gun club, IMHO.

I would also recommend the MA Compass & Survival, I took it 2 years ago.

I would be very interested in a Wilderness first aid and/or Wilderness First Responder course. I've seen the classes offered various places but they are expensive. I've done some backpacking and a good amount of car camping.

Back
Top Bottom