Anyone near Uxbridge, MA?

I'm messing with some gear and trying to get some simplex going with someone close. Any takers?

Last edited:
Cool. I just got my antenna raised on the tower and haven't been able to hit anything but the high powered repeaters. Are you around this weekend to give it a go?

Last edited:
I can probably get to you on 2 meters. i won't be around for the weekend but we should try some night.

Cool. I just got my antenna raised on the tower and haven't been able to hit anything but the high powered repeaters. Are you around this weekend to give it a go?

- - - Updated - - -

I know little to nothing of ham radio & find my complete lack of comprehension of these posts hilarious.

I need to find out what the heck you guys are up to. [laugh]

Different frequency bands work better in different environments and atmospheric conditions. What we're talking about is basically line of sight, but signals bounce off things.. like buildings and meteors.

There are really tall buildings in the city that you have line of sight to from very far away.... Id be willing to bet there are repeaters on more than a few.

I live in a valley in the woods surrounded by trees. If you dont have flat, you compensate with tall... Hence the tower.

Like old school TV. VHF/UHF = local. Shortwave radio = global.

When atmospheric conditions are just right vhf/uhf can bounce really far between layers of the atmosphere like a stone skipping on the water.

Theres plenty to do with radio in any environment... You might just have to get creative.

I put up a 135ft 80-6m windom the other day, and when I was drilling the hole to bring the feedline in, I drilled into my 2m/440 LMR400 line like a genius.

It got better. I went through about 6 connectors trying to fix that mistake, finally got a couple PL259s on the ends and coupled them together... that was good for about a week, I was all proud of myself and whatnot... then I look out the window and notice "Hey, all that silicon tape I wrapped that coupler with looks awful shiny" so I went out and verified... yep, definitely melted... So I drove out to You Do It electronics and bought a handful of N type connectors, came home, cut the 259s off and then replaced them with Ns. "Hmm, that's odd, both these connectors are male and both ends of the coupler are male as well. Fantastic" .... back to 259s. If it melts again, I quit. Not sure if it's the sun that melted the tape or one of the connections.

Back
Top Bottom