ANYONE RELOADING FOR GLOCK 42 (.380)

Reloads that work in 3 other .380's won't even work the slide

Round fires but won't cycle the slide

recoil spring is pretty stout.

Load consists of a 95 grain fmj round nose
3.0 gr of 231
Win small pistol primer

The max charge listed by Lyman is actually 2.9 gr

Have read on other forums that people are going above and beyond recommended loads just to get the gun to function

Anyone else have any experience with this issue?

THANKS
DOWNWIND

Stop fartloading ammo and that problem will go away. Not sure what this sick fetish is with underloading stuff. It's great for training newbs but otherwise it's a waste. W231 sucks in 9mm i bet it's not much better in .380. Titegroup probably will work immensely better if you crimp well and don't go for fluff loads.

Lyman load data is very conservative on a lot of stuff, too.

According to the Hodgdon website, 3.2 gr of 231 is the max charge for a 95 gr FMJ. I'd bump it up to max charge since you've already tried 3 gr with poor results. Or find some Titegroup to try. Burns a little faster than 231 which is great in that short G42 barrel. You can squeeze out more velocity with Titegroup which might help cycle the action.

.380 is finicky. I had a hard time finding a load that would work properly in multiple guns, even once I'd eliminated all the variables I could. FWIW, that's two different P238s and an old Remington 51.

My load is 3.1 grains of Bullseye behind a 90 grain FMJ. I'd started out with 95 grainers, too.

Can't help you with a Glock 42, but I've loaded a heavier cast bullet (Lee 356-120TC) into the .380 Auto and they worked just fine in my neighbor's PPK; didn't run any through his CZ 38 though.
I think this picture is in 9x19mm brass, but it's the Lee bullet mentioned:

Last edited:
Using Montana Gold Bullets .380 95gr bullets with 4.0gr of Power Pistol. Works quite well in all .380's I've tested. OAL = .955

I notice that Galloway sells a 10% reduced rate recoil spring assembly for the 42

Their site also lists the factory spring rate at 17lb's

Might have to entertain getting one

Try a heavier bullet...a 100gr plated or fmj (I use a plated bullet). You'd be surprised how much of a difference that will make and the plated typically cost less than fmj and they are readily available whereas a lot of the jacketed stuff is still hard to get at a reasonable price.

DrGrant has it right!

Stop fartloading ammo and that problem will go away. Not sure what this sick fetish is with underloading stuff. It's great for training newbs but otherwise it's a waste. W231 sucks in 9mm i bet it's not much better in .380. Titegroup probably will work immensely better if you crimp well and don't go for fluff loads.

Lyman load data is very conservative on a lot of stuff, too.

Back
Top Bottom