• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone seen the new Navy utility uniform yet?

Not for nothing but looking at the Picture .. How many of you have seen a whole Department and or Crew that were ESWS qualified .. I see a lot of Wings on the chest of those squids ... Im willing to bet they are Bubble Heads and not Surface Fleet hence all the wings on the chests and note in the back ground a couple of other sailors in their Bell bottoms and Prison Tops

The chief of naval operations has approved two new camouflage uniforms to be worn by ground force sailors. The uniforms are digital and come in woodland and desert patterns, similar to the combat uniforms worn by Marines.

Not for nothing but looking at the Picture .. How many of you have seen a whole Department and or Crew that were ESWS qualified .. I see a lot of Wings on the chest of those squids ... Im willing to bet they are Bubble Heads and not Surface Fleet hence all the wings on the chests and note in the back ground a couple of other sailors in their Bell bottoms and Prison Tops

I think they require a warfare pin for E-6 now. There was talk of it when I got out in '04.

Blue camouflage?. Just exactly what environment are they suppose to blend in with? The water? Must really suck if you fell over board, eh [laugh2]
[laugh2] That was my second thought when I first saw them. My first was "What East European country are those from?"

I think they require a warfare pin for E-6 now. There was talk of it when I got out in '04.

Not yet. E-5 and above have so many months after reporting on board to obtain their warfare pin. As for E-4 below it will probably become mandatory at some point this year.

He is correct in that the picture is of a bunch of subbies.

The chief of naval operations has approved two new camouflage uniforms to be worn by ground force sailors. The uniforms are digital and come in woodland and desert patterns, similar to the combat uniforms worn by Marines.

And the Marines are preventing regular sailors in CENTCOM from wearing the new digital desert uniform. It is only approved for use by SpecWar because they fall under SOCOM.

NAVADMIN 374/09 announced the approval of these unifroms. Paragraph 1 lists the reasons and they are, "WILL INCREASE PROBABILITY OF MISSION SUCCESS AND SURVIVABILITY IN COMBAT AND IRREGULAR WARFARE OPERATIONS DUE TO THE REDUCED VISUAL SIGNATURE IN THESE OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENTS."

Paragraph 3a lists the authorized wearers of the desert uniform, "THE NWU TYPE II WILL BE WORN ONLY BY NAVY SPECIAL WARFARE (NSW) PERSONNEL, SAILORS ASSIGNED TO NSW UNITS, OR SAILORS ASSIGNED TO UNITS DIRECTLY SUPPORTING NSW MISSIONS WITHIN THE THEATER OF OPERATIONS." It goes on to say that the same are authorized to wear during training while in CONUS.

According to an editorial by the Navy Times this is because the Marine Corps. thinks the digital desert resembles their desert uniform a little too much.

http://www.navytimes.com/community/opinion/navy_editorial_cammies_011810/

If the digital uniforms are better than the traditional, wouldn't we want everybody to wear the digital ones? No ones life in one service is worth more than someone in a different sevrice.

Have you seen the new coast guard ones not so cool

They do grow on you, though. Have to tuck them in when wearing a gun belt, so the untucked goes out the window, but the uniform itself is MUCH higher quality than the old ODU's. I'm on my third type of work uniform now, and still miss my old Working Blues. The shirt was goofy as hell after '95 or so, but who ever wore that anyways? T-shirt (from a past unit), sweatshirt, occasionally a polo, and boat shoes....damn I miss those days...

Can't help but thinking that tucking in an untucked blouse when wearing the LE belt is just silly. I'd rather see us move away from separate LE belt, PFD, and kevlar to something that incorporates at least 2 of the three functions. A tactical vest that stores OC, ammunition, cuffs, radio, flashlight, etc, has a mount point for a drop-leg holster, and ideally incorporates an auto-inflate PFD, and if feasible is also Level IIIA kevlar. No need to tuck the blouse in, only one item to put on. Put the vest on, brief the mission, and get underway.

Amen. I get underway now, it's layer 1 thermals, body armor, layer 2 thermals, drysuit, Type III PFD, SAR vest, gun belt, add a 6 pound handheld radio for good measure...not sure I could even reach the holster in a hurry. End up like that kid in A Christmas Story....

And I want my damn boat shoes back. Maytag repairman work pants and boat shoes. Working Blues were a rather vague concept those days...

Not sure what the policy is at stations, but boat shoes are still authorized on cutters, at least they were in the summer of 07. When I was on Mohawk we were all in boat shoes except for the engineers and the people who didn't own them yet. ODU shorts and t-shirts half the time too. Eagle is shorts and boat shoes at sea, but it's Eagle.

One of the arguments in favor is that the camoflauge hides stains.

If that's true then you can mark the date that they adopt those uniforms as the day that this country's military started down the toilet bowl.

I guess we can replace the term "shipshape" with "paintitover".

Sailor! Is that your bunk - your rack is a disgrace! Close the curtain so nobody can see it!

Seriously though - camo on sailors? That just seems retarded to me. I have seen Air Force uniforms where they are wearing camo too - that also seemed retarded to me.

Unfortunately I see this is a marker of something seriously wrong with the way the military is being run.

If that's true then you can mark the date that they adopt those uniforms as the day that this country's military started down the toilet bowl.

I guess we can replace the term "shipshape" with "paintitover".

Sailor! Is that your bunk - your rack is a disgrace! Close the curtain so nobody can see it!

Seriously though - camo on sailors? That just seems retarded to me. I have seen Air Force uniforms where they are wearing camo too - that also seemed retarded to me.

Unfortunately I see this is a marker of something seriously wrong with the way the military is being run.

Actually, I think the point of that is because they're being used to replace the coveralls which are used in most dirty environments.

The uniform pattern is designed to hide grease and oil stains as well as "haze gray" paint, not so sailors can be sloppy, but to keep them from having to consistently replace a uniform. The service life of the camo is 18 months compared to six months for other uniforms.

The pants are already bloused which is one less thing you need to do for general quarters, the way the sleeves are rolled on this uniform allows them to be unrolled with out removing the blouse.

Its a much better uniform than previous working uniforms. My only gripe is that MA's wear it. Previously we wore woodland camo which allowed us to stand out a little more. Now we blend in with every other sailor. If I am wearing my goretex jacket you it is nearly impossible to differentiate between a MA and a sailor of a different rate.

Nope, for as long as I have been an MA we haven't worn armbands. The one time I was on a ship the "Shore Patrol" was in civilian clothes so they didn't wear anything either.

Maybe it was just the commands I was at. Weird. I didn't pay them that much attention though.

The uniform pattern is designed to hide grease and oil stains as well as "haze gray" paint, not so sailors can be sloppy, but to keep them from having to consistently replace a uniform. The service life of the camo is 18 months compared to six months for other uniforms.

I used to just keep one grungy uniform for dirty work and change back into a better set when I was finished. I'd also keep one immaculate, pressed set for inspections.

Of course, this is too complicated for the World's Largest Canoe Club, so they spend millions designing a new uniform and make everyone change out their gear. Brilliant.

The other day at work I saw a Lieutenant in this new Navy uniform. As a former soldier, I must say that I know nothing of Navy life and work. I don't know if the guy liked his bizarre uniform or not. I would have asked but I was trying too hard not to laugh at him. It really looks likes something you'd pick up at an urban/hip hop store. The colors were very strong and the big gold lettering on the name tapes made the whole thing look like a costume from a bad movie.

The other day at work I saw a Lieutenant in this new Navy uniform. As a former soldier, I must say that I know nothing of Navy life and work. I don't know if the guy liked his bizarre uniform or not. I would have asked but I was trying too hard not to laugh at him. It really looks likes something you'd pick up at an urban/hip hop store. The colors were very strong and the big gold lettering on the name tapes made the whole thing look like a costume from a bad movie.

I agree they are aweful. They should have gone with either their regular BDU's or just stayed with the coveralls.

Last edited:
These guys are gonna have to start wearing PT belts like the rest of us... except that it might ACTUALLY save a life when they fall overboard in those DARK CLOTHES!

I have been out of the Navy since 1997 but still work for the Navy and have plenty of friends on the base that I used to served with. They really push the warfare quals now. Commands even get flags for when high percentages of the command has them. The hangers have boards up of everyones progress and they start right at the lowest ranks now. I believe you had to be an e4 or e5 to participate when I was in and even then it was optional. Now it is almost mandatory.

I have been out of the Navy since 1997 but still work for the Navy and have plenty of friends on the base that I used to served with. They really push the warfare quals now. Commands even get flags for when high percentages of the command has them. The hangers have boards up of everyones progress and they start right at the lowest ranks now. I believe you had to be an e4 or e5 to participate when I was in and even then it was optional. Now it is almost mandatory.

From what I understand, it is mandatory for E-6 now.

Back
Top Bottom