AR-10 Lower Registration

Hello all,

I picked up a DPMS AR-10 lower from my local FFL here in Mass and filled out a 4473 forum. I'm planning on completing this build within the next 6 months and was wondering how to register the lower?

Would it be done on the registration section of the gun portal? Is it going to be a problem that it's 308?

Thank you,
Tony

WHEN you complete the build, you have 7 days to register the rifle. Before that there is nothing to register. It has no caliber, no barrel length and is not capable of "discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger"

When you do build it you have to abide by the assault weapons ban so fixed stock, pinned/welded muzzle brake, no grenade launcher and no bayonet lug.

Until you build it, it is the same as owning a pair of shoes, just less useful.

WHEN you complete the build, you have 7 days to register the rifle. Before that there is nothing to register. It has no caliber, no barrel length and is not capable of "discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger"

When you do build it you have to abide by the assault weapons ban so fixed stock, pinned/welded muzzle brake, no grenade launcher and no bayonet lug.

Until you build it, it is the same as owning a pair of shoes, just less useful.
Perfect, thank you for that information. So once complete should I use the register section of the gun portal? Is this going to be an issue that it's a 308? If going this route should I leave the FFL section blank?

Thank you,
Tony

Perfect, thank you for that information. So once complete should I use the register section of the gun portal? Is this going to be an issue that it's a 308? If going this route should I leave the FFL section blank?

Thank you,
Tony
Seller blank. caliber is whatever it is. Just follow the AWB

I had an FFL mount my scope on my recent AR build and he scared the shit out of me telling me it's illegal and "the felony is already committed", the brake is pinned/welded, stock pinned, now I'm just sitting here trying to make sense of the wild/stupidly complex laws wondering wtf i can/should do (and i'm hoping i'm overreacting)

I had an FFL mount my scope on my recent AR build and he scared the shit out of me telling me it's illegal and "the felony is already committed", the brake is pinned/welded, stock pinned, now I'm just sitting here trying to make sense of the wild/stupidly complex laws wondering wtf i can/should do (and i'm hoping i'm overreacting)
If you’re scared I’ll buy it from you tonight, cash.

it is what it is. one of reasons i went with tavor was this -

but, in practical reality, it is all worth nothing, from legal standpoint. they can declare tavor a felony tomorrow, so, what can you do? nothing.
you have built yourself a proper rifle - join a club and enjoy it, while it lasts. most likely it will last for a while. if not - we will be in the same camp, re-educating. :)

it`s just going to be a shitload of us, will need a lot of camps.

ps. again, you are seeing there an interpretation of an interpretations of the edicts even lawyers cannot comprehend - yet - it is how AG operates, and, if they want, they can declare and enforce it as a felony, whatever it is they think the felony is. there is no law here, as a codex to follow, only those 'interpretations'. hell with them all.

As soon as my FFL told me it was illegal for me to own my Glock 35 and the fact that it’s barrel was threaded for a compensator was a violation of the assault weapons ban I stopped listening to FFL’s.

Tell that FFL that if he can point you to an actual statute that you've violated and specify the felony, that he can HAVE the rifle. Hint: it's not the AWB if the rifle is as described and you're not using post ban mags over 10 rounds.

If he actually looks for the statute he's a misinformed moron, if he doesn't jump at the chance to get a free rifle, well, then you know he's just trying to scare you. (Shockingly common.)

Either way - GET A NEW FFL.

My money is on absolute moron with zero comprehension of the laws, but I've been wrong before...

Stay out of Northshore Firearms,..

This is why I go to NH for everything. Then to an FFL in MA who knows wtf they’re doing.

Tell that FFL that if he can point you to an actual statute that you've violated and specify the felony, that he can HAVE the rifle. Hint: it's not the AWB if the rifle is as described and you're not using post ban mags over 10 rounds.

If he actually looks for the statute he's a misinformed moron, if he doesn't jump at the chance to get a free rifle, well, then you know he's just trying to scare you. (Shockingly common.)

Either way - GET A NEW FFL.

My money is on absolute moron with zero comprehension of the laws, but I've been wrong before...
Pinned brake/stock, 18.3" barrel, I have pre-ban mags, but no post-ban +10's.
This is why I go to NH for everything. Then to an FFL in MA who knows wtf they’re doing.
Stay out of Northshore Firearms,..

Yea, honestly I panicked when I got the shitty info (wasn't Northshore firearms, [or as I misread it, Northeast Firearms where Steve did my brake/stock work haha]), but several NES members, thousands of posts on here, and a guy from GOAL and a former MA prosecutor all def helped set me straight and I'm now happy to have/keep my rifle. thanks everyone!

Last edited:
For the record,.. Steve runs Northeast Firearms in Peabody,.. and is an AR expert and quality gunsmith. Northshore Firearms is a clown shop in Middleton,.. across from Danvers Fudd and Game.Two complete different experiences and shops.

Gotcha, yea I was confused because I've had nothing but great experiences in Northeast Firearms and Steve's been great and did a fantastic job smithing for me, my bad! (edited my response to clarify I mis-read the original post ,thanks!

Yea, honestly I panicked when I got the shitty info (wasn't Northshore firearms, Steve did my brake/stock work haha), but several NES members, thousands of posts on here, and a guy from GOAL and a former MA prosecutor all def helped set me straight and I'm now happy to have/keep my rifle. thanks everyone!
same shit as constantly repeated claims that glocks are illegal in MA. whatever. you just cannot change some people.

As soon as my FFL told me it was illegal for me to own my Glock 35 and the fact that it’s barrel was threaded for a compensator was a violation of the assault weapons ban I stopped listening to FFL’s.
Is there any chance this happened in CT? A pistol with a threaded bbl is an AW in CT.

Stop listening to that FFL in the future. He was probably parroting the stupid Fuhrer Healey bs about "DER OnLY Fized 10 round mag lowerz ares legalz in Mass" that all these bitch ass FFLs have been doing since July 2016. The only law that has legal standing that you need to comply with if you shall choose is the 1994 Federal AWB/1998 MA AWB which you have already complied with. Since you've done that, have peace of mind and happy shooting :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom