AR-15 Questions

I was checking around, including in our own Build it Yourself, about building up an AR-15 in MA. From another forum I am on someone is machining out lowers, now would it be legal to get one of these in MA? I was going to reach out to FS about doing the transfer but I would rather have an idea on legality before doing so.

Secondly, can I add a bipod to my Bushmaster AR-15 in post ban configuration?

Lastly, any recommendations on a good scope for 100-200m shooting?

Sorry if these are obvious answers, thank in advance.

Good questions.
I have been wondering about this for some time. I would also like to build myself an AR. I think I would rather build it, because I can spend a little here and a little there until I'm done.

Should I spend the extra to buy a pre-ban lower? Does the gain (being unrestricted in what I can do) out weigh the added cost of finding and purchasing a pre-ban lower?

What exactly can I do with a pre-ban lower that I couldn't have with a post-ban one?

Thanks
Adam

Adam's question first . . .

- For a "Pre-ban" to be LEGAL, the gun HAD to have been a complete gun or a complete gun kit on 9/13/94 IN PRE-BAN CONFIGURATION!

- Therefore, if it was only a frame, it can NEVER be made into pre-ban configuration legally!

These rules are the same as the expired Fed Ban!

Now for "build it yourself" . . .

- Perfectly legal to get a frame and build your own POST-BAN style AR15.

- Use FS or another dealer to get your frame and have at it.

- You WILL need some special jigs and tools to build the gun.

But you can mix and match any fully assembled upper receiver and fully assembled lower receiver, without any special tools, right?

For exaple, if you want to swap out a lightweight carbine barrelled upper for one with a heavy target barrel?

The only special tool you need is a barrel wrench if you're going to change a barrel. For anything else all you need is a vise a few punches, a screwdriver and a soft hammer.
To switch uppers all you need are your fingers.

To swap uppers, all you need it a ball point pen! [wink] Push out the two pins and you're good to go.

Building an AR15, there is also a "block" device to hold either the receiver or the barrel assembly (I don't recall which), which I am told by a well-respected friend (who built and repaired ARs both personally and for one of the major mfrs), is essential to doing a good job.

Take a look at www.brownells.com for AR15 tools and you'll see the items and be able to figure out the cost and if it is worth it.

Len............All that block device is is a block of plastic that slips into the mag well so you can clamp it in a vise so that the lower is held secured while you work on it. Believe me it's nothing "special". As frugal (cheap) as I am I just use a fitted block of hardwood.

I built a ar15, well the lower.

I purchase a virgin bushmaster lower at four seasons.

Purchased a lower parts kit from a dealer on ar15.com and assembled the lower on the kitchen table with a rubber hammer and punch.

It was easy and fun,

I purchased a complete upper from RRA.

It's the upper that requires special tools. The lower is basically a drop-in job except perhaps the stock and buffer installation (and maybe only an issue with adjustable stocks with short buffer tubes).

First, thanks..

For some reason, I was under the impression that I could purchase a complete pre-ban lower and then do what I wish with the gun..

Second, what brands would you suggest for decent quality, that can be had at a reasonable cost, that I can purchase in phases?

Thanks
Adam

Adam........Like anything, everyone has their favorite brand. That being said they're all good, but I'd stay away from Olympic Arms.
The best.. in no particular order- Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Rock River.

Brands: I have Bushmaster, LMT and Stag. Out of the 3 I prefer Bushmaster. The finish on the other 2 is great but the LMT has a tight magwell (some mags won't drop free) and the Stag is a tight fit when installing the upper.

If you're going to build the upper receiver from parts I'd recommend getting an upper receiver block instead of a barrel vice. There are a couple of different types from Brownell's, Bushmaster & DPMS. I have a clamshell type which has worked really well for two builds.

Working on the lower really doesn't require any special tools, although a good set of punches and roll-pin punches will make the job go much easier. The only real need for a lower receiver block is the installation of the buttstock but you can get away without it. I've swapped several stocks without one.

CD

ETA: Also for the upper build. A barrel nut wrench of some type will also be needed. I have the DPMS multi wrench which has worked out well.

I have some solid aluminum dummy 22lr cartridges, which I had for adjusting my target pistol, which make great punches to push the pins out on the AR15.

I appreciate all the feedback so far, I am going to call FS this week about doing the transfer and then hopefully order the lower.

Still, how about adding a bipod? Legal?

And any scope recommendations are still greatly appreciated.

Bipods are legal, i'd recommend a harris
remember that you will be getting a post ban lower, so you will need to build or buy a post ban upper, not preban or no ban.

Scopes depend on what kinda shooting, distance, light condition and price.

I have shot just as well with cheaper simmon as I have with expensive Leupold. The Leupold are brighter and clearer, may or not last longer, track better. But if you are just punching holes in paper during the day, then
a simmons, weaver or even tasco will work

Thanks a ton supermoto. The big sell on the lower I am looking at is the custom engraving and it helps pay this guys bills so all in all not a bad deal. I am not too concerned with only being able to work with MA legal parts.

Thanks for the heads up on the bipod and scope too!

On the topic of mixing and matching -- I have an AR15 Bushmaster with a heavy 20" target barrel.

I am interested in a lighter weight upper with a carbine style 16" barrel. I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for models or brands that they like for this flavor of size upper receiver assembly.

LenS said:
Adam's question first . . .

- For a "Pre-ban" to be LEGAL, the gun HAD to have been a complete gun or a complete gun kit on 9/13/94 IN PRE-BAN CONFIGURATION!

- Therefore, if it was only a frame, it can NEVER be made into pre-ban configuration legally!

These rules are the same as the expired Fed Ban!

Now for "build it yourself" . . .

- Perfectly legal to get a frame and build your own POST-BAN style AR15.

- Use FS or another dealer to get your frame and have at it.

- You WILL need some special jigs and tools to build the gun.

Ok, for the Lawfully Challenged (me).

Say I bout a receiver in January 1994, And in one month’s time I built it into a complete gun with all the evil things that don’t let people sleep at night, Bayou lug, Flash hider, Collapsible stock. Would this of been legal. Would it be legal if it were a full gun that I had added these features to prior to the ban. If yes please proceed to part 2.

Now say this gun that I have had starts to break down and certain items need attention. Could I replace the evil features?

Looking for hope in a pile of shit,
B.J.

OK, if it was in "Evil" configuration before the date the ban took effect, you have a pre-ban gun and may add any further "evil mods" (or replace existing ones) as you wish.

If it was not in "Evil" configuration by the date the ban took effect, you have a post-ban gun and you're SOL on mods.

Ok... So you have a gun that was assembled before the ban took place. None of the evil items were added at that time. Who knows that it was just a normal plane Jane AR, and didn't have those mods?

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Ok... So you have a gun that was assembled before the ban took place. None of the evil items were added at that time. Who knows that it was just a normal plane Jane AR, and didn't have those mods?

Adam

You know those spy satellites and those no-warrant bugging of private citizen's home? . . .

whomp . . . whomp . . . whomp

Adam_MA said:

Adam

Thats pretty much my point,

I would never ever do this..... but If someone had a pre-ban gun they could add all the things they want and claim that they just replaced the parts. Keeping in mind that this would still be a felony. But it would be hard to prove the "builder" wrong in court.

Right?

EDITED
Sorry Len you posted yours while I was brainstorming

Adam_MA said:

Adam

The SN verified with the manufacturer would be able to tell the LEO EXACTELY how the rifle left the factory.

Moderator said:
I would never ever do this..... but If someone had a pre-ban gun they could add all the things they want and claim that they just replaced the parts. Keeping in mind that this would still be a felony. But it would be hard to prove the "builder" wrong in court.

See above.It would be as easy as the LEO calling Bushy,Colt etc and asking them how the rifle left the factory.You could plead ignorance,but I don't think that would hold up in a court :)

It was my understanding that the rifle had to leave the plant in assault weapon configuration.This was to circumvent people that bought quantities of stripped lowers then sold them to individuals who could then turn them into evil rifles.

Hence the reason people get a letter from Bushmaster etc... stating the lower left the factory as a complete rifle in assault weapon configuration to CYA.

Granted the instance of a LEO running the SN then having the manufacturer verify the rifle left the factory as a assault rifle before Sep 94 would be rare..But if you wanted to do everything on the up & up,this is the way to do it.

I could be wrong,but this is the way I understood the MA AWB.

Posted this under "Gun Laws" before I saw this thread.....

I tried to find and interpret the laws about what features an "assault weapon" is allowed to have today in Massachusetts. Thinking of building an AR15, but it's difficult to find a clear definition of what's legal.

For instance:

- Telescopic stock?
- Flash supressors?
- Pistolgrip?
- Removable magazine?
- Magazine >10 rounds?

Can anyone enlighten me or point me somewhere it's spelled out in plain ENGLISH?

Thanks.

On a AR15 that is not a preban. ie built up prior to '94
- Telescopic stock? Illegal
- Flash supressors? Illegal, but you can have a muzzle brake
- Pistolgrip? YES
- Removable magazine? YES
- Magazine >10 rounds? YES if pre '94

you can only have 2 "evil" features, so if you want to have a collaspable stock, you need to give up the pistol grip or removable mag, but if you give up these features you no longer have a ar

How the gun left the factory is meaningless. If it was assembled into an "Assault Weapon" before the magic date, it is and always will be pre-ban. Some manufacturers were simply churning out lower receivers prior to the ban, having someone assemble them into AW's, then stripping them back down. They'd then use the same upper and other parts on the next lower. ATF knew all about it then and never had any problems, since it met the requirements of the law. Maybe not what HCI wanted, but that's how the law was written and passed.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom