AR Muzzle device question??

Hijacking this thread...

I need to find a break to pin to my new barrel but I don't want a loud as hell break. Does anyone know of an alternative, besides a flash suppressor of course.

Edit: Yes, I know that any muzzle break is going to be loud. Just trying to minimize it as best I can.

Last edited:
gun shows are the worst places to buy iffy parts like that if you care about compliance. they care about your money, not MA compliance.

"yeah dude these C-products mags are totally pre-ban."

"didn't C-products not exist before 9/13/94?"

*crickets*

gun shows are the worst places to buy iffy parts like that if you care about compliance. they care about your money, not MA compliance.

"yeah dude these C-products mags are totally pre-ban."

"didn't C-products not exist before 9/13/94?"

*crickets*

Nah..... C-products makes rebuild kits..... That's a pre-ban shell with new internals/floor plate........

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I think the problem with the "a2" style is that the flash hider is open while the closed style is a "comp" and people get confused.

a2-compensator.jpg

a2-compensators.jpg

this is a a2 style comp ^^^^^

IMG_20130324_105158_434_zps16870cba.jpg

stole from previous page, this is an a2 flash hider. ^^^^^

Hijacking this thread...

I need to find a break to pin to my new barrel but I don't want a loud as hell break. Does anyone know of an alternative, besides a flash suppressor of course.

Edit: Yes, I know that any muzzle break is going to be loud. Just trying to minimize it as best I can.

I just installed a Miculek Brake and while it is louder than a flash hider it isn't bad. That being said, the muzzle blast and the smoke sucks shooting is a small bay like at the MRA Loeb range.

Any other suggestions for a muzzle brake that is similar to the stock flash hider?

Chris

I just wonder why everyone is constantly so worried about everyone else's guns lately??

I especially would not go posting such 'illegal' things on an open internet forum either. Do you honestly think the people who made that device illegal, even know if it's illegal or not??? People worry too much about every little thing in every day life. I don't get it.

Again, with the negativity. Your an angry man, atleast i assume your a man. Don't worry about it, just leave the thread alone, let people have their opinion.

Something tells me you got upfront and personal with the inside of your locker in High School.

I just installed a Miculek Brake and while it is louder than a flash hider it isn't bad. That being said, the muzzle blast and the smoke sucks shooting is a small bay like at the MRA Loeb range.

Any other suggestions for a muzzle brake that is similar to the stock flash hider?

Chris

The miculek brake is as bad as it gets when it comes to noise. So if you're good with it, you'll be good with anything.
I live that brake though. Its the best value going. But short of the JP "howitzer" recoil eliminator, I don't know of anything louder.

Don

p.s. put one on a 10.5" AR with 5.56 Nato pressure ammo and I'll tell you that there isn't much louder. Even with doubled up hearing protection on Loeb, it will make you twitch. At least initially.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, with the negativity. Your an angry man, atleast i assume your a man. Don't worry about it, just leave the thread alone, let people have their opinion.

Something tells me you got upfront and personal with the inside of your locker in High School.

He doesn't sound angry at all. He's just stating that people worry too much. I agree with him. Although this is not an area to "finesse", since brakes are better than flash hiders for 99% of all people 95% of the time.

As I understand it:
Generally, if the end is wide open, its probably a flash hider. If the end is close to bore diameter, its probably a brake. You can also purchase brakes that the ATF has identified as such if you are truly concerned.

inside of a locker !!!! i bet he lives in his moms basement too

Gun owners in Ma are insane...me included for obsessing over the Flash vs MB argument. I just read the entire ma 1998 law and of course found nothing on flash suppressors since it referred to the 1994 defunct federal law.

Although, I did learn that you can get a mandatory 5-15 sentence for selling, providing or allowing a person under the age of 18 to possess a High Cap mag. That would be some fun time in Souza B in a cell next to Joeseph Druce...the freak who killed father Geoghan.

I wonder how many have been convicted of this horrible crime. My guess Zero!!!

I guess every gang banger in the commonwealth is sporting a mass compliant firearm.

Nice law. The liberals in our fine state talk a good game.

Coach87

Hijacking this thread...

I strongly suggest the Ares Armor Effin-A Compensator, Fully adjustable to your liking, it will blow your mind, not ur ears or ur neighbors table. Very light shoulder push, and dead flat, with no effort. You won't regret it.

I have this brake on a 14.5" barrel. It is definitely "quiet" (from shooter's perspective and sides), but if your primary concern is compensating, look elsewhere.
How does the recoil feel? Does is push straight back, or lift the muzzle? -- I just bot one for my build.

I'm not breaking any laws just welding a brake? I want to make sure there isn't a secret hidden rules about permanently attaching a muzzle break. ;) I see a lot of "or's" and no "must".

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

So basically we are screwed if we have to remove our gas block once we permanently attach the muzzle brake?

Last edited:
So basically we are screwed if we have to remove our gas block once we permanently attach the muzzle brake?

Basically. They make two-piece gas blocks that clamp on but for the most part they suck. Also they do make comps that have an OD less than .750" so in some cases you can still get a normal gas block off. (Those aren't that common though.)

The other option is to cut the comp off, but that's not a great option either.

even if the muzzle brake is just pinned, a good machine shop would be able to drill out the pin for removal in necessary

even if the muzzle brake is just pinned, a good machine shop would be able to drill out the pin for removal in necessary

Wouldn't the Silver Solder be the way to go? Just reheat to remove the solder? Just looking for the best way to remove if necessary as this is my first build and want to make sure the gas block is aligned properly. I might just put a few round through it first then install the brake.

Wouldn't the Silver Solder be the way to go? Just reheat to remove the solder? Just looking for the best way to remove if necessary as this is my first build and want to make sure the gas block is aligned properly. I might just put a few round through it first then install the brake.

no, that is a lot of heat that you are dumping into your barrel. You can still adjust your gas block even if the brake is pinned

no, that is a lot of heat that you are dumping into your barrel. You can still adjust your gas block even if the brake is pinned

+1 I've done one with high temp silver solder, and I was appalled by how much heat that took. One spot of weld on a pin is much less intrusive.

After reading this thread I'm confused.

Are the following 3 statments correct:
Flash hiders are illegal in MA unless on a preban lower.
Comps are legal if pinned/welded.
Brakes are legal if pinned/welded.

Back
Top Bottom