AR15's - Who makes the best ones and why?

So is there a better value out there in a semi-auto that is in the 5.56 caliber? the Sig556 is around the 1k price point so is it better value than say a BCM?

they are totally different guns. One is a gas piston gun (Sig556) and the other is a gas impingement gun (AR15). A Sig556 shares more functional integrity with an AK47 than an AR15: it's an AK that shoots AR ammo, takes AR mags, and can use AR accessories.

in other words: shoot both before you decide what you like/want

Last edited:
this one, the MK12 mod 0 SPR, minus the bullshit grip, bullshit optic (his mark 4 isn't illuminated), and bullshit BCM parts (I'm going Colt, which is "standard parts" when ordered by the people who put these together for our military).

So what is the ammo in that mag?

this one, the MK12 mod 0 SPR, minus the bullshit grip, bullshit optic (his mark 4 isn't illuminated), and bullshit BCM parts (I'm going Colt, which is "standard parts" when ordered by the people who put these together for our military).

DSCN0971.jpg

Um, I'm pretty sure they're more than internet legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_12_Special_Purpose_Rifle

Also, how is that grip or BCM parts "bullshit"? Which parts on that rifle are BCM?

So what is the ammo in that mag?

I don't think it's flintoid's rifle, but my guess on ammo would be Hornady TAP 75gr loaded with their T1 OTM bullet. I'm not aware of a Black Hills load with plated cases.

Um, I'm pretty sure they're more than internet legend.

My understanding is that the MK11 MOD 0's internet popularity is abnormally high due to its presence in all of the Battlefield of Duty: Modern Company games.

Last edited:
not a clue as it's not mine. Mine is a pile of parts on my bed. I was using someone else's picture to depict what I'm building... which is pretty lame on my behalf.

but from my educated guess? Silver Bear.

So what parts do you have? Are you trying to duplicate or approximate an SPR?

FWIW, I wanted to do something similar but a big part of my reason was that I think rifle length gas systems work better and are nice to shoot. Here's the rifle and I can post a parts list if you want. Also, yes, I realize the ACOG isn't appropriate. I want to put a different optic on it but I'm trying to figure out which one and I'm going to sell the ACOG. Also, I was only trying to approximate an SPR. I didn't much care if the parts list was exact.

my_ar.jpg

As I commented in another thread, I'm also running a SPR-style rifle with a full-length rail and difference choices to those imposed by the military. +1! Extremely nice rifle and AR configuration.
Also, yes, I realize the ACOG isn't appropriate.

What do you mean by that? I'm running a 3x-9x, but would not feel under-glassed with 3-4x fixed at any range I'm likely to be able to land a shot.

Last edited:
As I commented in another thread, I'm also running a SPR-style rifle with a full-length rail and difference choices to those imposed by the military. +1!

What do you mean by that? I'm running a 3x-9x, but would not feel under-glassed with 3-4x fixed at any range I'm likely to be able to land a shot.

Well, it's not quite appropriate to what I understand the role of the SPR to be and therefore isn't quite in keeping with an SPR. The 3-9x seems more appropriate and I'd like something closer to that. Beyond that, on a practical basis I want to use it at 200-300yds and it'd be nice to have some more magnification. That said, the glass in the ACOG is really nice and it does well for 4X.

Figured I would update you on my PSA kit, the upper was complete, no assembly of the barrel/BCG etc needed to be done, that only left the lower to complete, a pair of channel locks a swiss army knife and a flat blade screwdriver and it was done in under 20 minutes. finish matched my Zombie lower perfectly, I oiled it up and at the range I fired 20 rounds through it with no problem and all of a sudden it wouldn't allow the bolt to slide forward. upon inspection I did not put the buffer tube in far enough to hold the detent in place and it was jamming the bolt. re-installed the tube and I put 120 rounds through it no problem. if anyone is taking a carbine course and wants to beat on it and put some rounds through it you are welcome to borrow it. I am hoping to do some serious coyote hunting with it after the first of the year when I can do some night hunting if I can find the land.

Don't know who makes the best but you might want to add one of these to the setup.

www.3bucc.com

I have an interest thread for a group buy and need more numbers.[grin]

I have been researching AR-15s to death for a while now as I am soon to buy my first one. My biggest issue is living in NYS which still has the assault weapons ban and BCM (would be my first choice) wont even ship here. As a result it appears S&W and RRA are the only two companies that make a NYS legal gun with a target crown (really want to avoid a pinned suppressor if I can) however neither are "top tier." My question is, if I bought one of those and slapped in a BCM bcg and H buffer, would I now have a top tier AR? The barrel is a moot point as I don't care to have an m4 spec barrel, focusing more on the rest of the gun. I really like the RRA but its hard to feel good about a gun that gets bashed on every internet thread you click on.

I have been researching AR-15s to death for a while now as I am soon to buy my first one. My biggest issue is living in NYS which still has the assault weapons ban and BCM (would be my first choice) wont even ship here. As a result it appears S&W and RRA are the only two companies that make a NYS legal gun with a target crown (really want to avoid a pinned suppressor if I can) however neither are "top tier." My question is, if I bought one of those and slapped in a BCM bcg and H buffer, would I now have a top tier AR? The barrel is a moot point as I don't care to have an m4 spec barrel, focusing more on the rest of the gun. I really like the RRA but its hard to feel good about a gun that gets bashed on every internet thread you click on.

What is top tier in your mind, the name on the components?

If you are just looking for a gun to hang cool shit off of, just grab what ever you get your hands on. If you want a shooter, I would shop around a little.

Check with these guys, http://www.rainierarms.com/, they build ban compliant rifles and uppers if you contact them. I am curious why you don't care about the barrel, I would say the barrel and the BCG are the most important part of the rifle.

Spikes is an other one to look into, they pinned a comp on a barrel and knocked off the bayo lug, fit the bolt, and sent me the upper in MA.

Top tier for me would be a peened and inspected, properly staked bolt, attention to detail and doing things "right" essentially. The reason I say I don't care about the barrel is not because I am ok with a cheaper barrel, but because I would prefer a better than mil-spec one (stainless HBAR, target crown, 1/8 rifling, no m203 cutout which I view as ridiculous on a civi AR). I am not looking for a gadget hanger, I prefer KISS which is why I don't even want a pinned suppressor, id rather it just be shorter and simpler if I want to service it. The gun will be shot frequently both short range plinking and out to 150 yards and will wear a smaller scope with fold down sites. The BCM Recce precision looked great to me and was my first choice. The RRA I was looking at was the Predetor Pursuit and the S&W was the ORC model. My though was thats the upper and lower forgings wont differ much from company to company. I'll chek out Rainierarms too.

Edit- Dead reliable is really at the top of my list here as well as it will be a shtf / home defense gun as well.

Last edited:
I have a WOA Service rifle barrel with a target crown that I gave to my girlfriend to build a scoped rifle around, and it is an absolute hammer, even with cheap 855 green tip ammo. Rainer carries a lot of WOA barrels, although I think they all run 1-7 twists, if you order a barrel and bolt/BCG at the same time, they will make sure they are head spaced proper.

Build your own lower and make it Ban compliant. I am from Mass and both my ARs are ban compliant. The uppers I got from Spikes and the M4 is a Bushmaster. I also included pics of the stock pinned. Its very easy to do and takes 5 minutes. Both uppers were bought already Ban compliant however purchasing them not and making them compliant on your own is fairly simple as well. The busy has a Izzy brake pin/welded and the Spikes has a PWS SM556. The bayo lug can be taken off via a dremel and use some cold blue to cover the bare metal.

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

Last edited:
That's 300 AAC, so I'd guess they are expecting someone to put a supressor on it.

Yeah, I think I am building a 300 upper. I have seen 14.7 556 barrels too, I just figured it was targeted at pinning a specific muzzle device.

Both of my rifles are 14.5 inch barrels. I wanted mine to be as short as legally possible without having to go NFA. Also, a 16 inch barrel plus the added muzzle device IMHO is just too long for my prefrence. Mine are geared toward CQB if I wanted long range I would go with a 18 inch. I will also say that the mid-length has a bit less felt recoil than my carbine does. Its a sweet shooter.

My carbine is a 14.5 with a pinned device, I am just trying to find out if there is a reason some barrels are 14.7 as apposed to an M4ish 14.5.

they are totally different guns. One is a gas piston gun (Sig556) and the other is a gas impingement gun (AR15). A Sig556 shares more functional integrity with an AK47 than an AR15: it's an AK that shoots AR ammo, takes AR mags, and can use AR accessories.

in other words: shoot both before you decide what you like/want

Ok. As a noob who has read thru this entire thread, this was extremely interesting to me to find out regarding the sig556.

The question I now have is will the sig be more reliant as a gas piston gun? It was my understanding that gas piston is. At the top of my list is reliability. So before I go put together or purchase a colt/bcm, etc, is this implying the sig will hold up better , be less prone to breakdown, ftf, etc?

BTW, there was a pretty cool show on military channel a few nights ago comparing the ak47 to the M4 etc. Good history lesson, very interesting, .

Ok. As a noob who has read thru this entire thread, this was extremely interesting to me to find out regarding the sig556.

The question I now have is will the sig be more reliant as a gas piston gun? It was my understanding that gas piston is. At the top of my list is reliability. So before I go put together or purchase a colt/bcm, etc, is this implying the sig will hold up better , be less prone to breakdown, ftf, etc?

BTW, there was a pretty cool show on military channel a few nights ago comparing the ak47 to the M4 etc. Good history lesson, very interesting, .

Today's top tier ARs are incredible reliable - do a search on "BCM's Filthy 14" they put something like 30K threw a BCM AR. These guys put 15K threw these rifles all the time without cleaning them - crazy stuff. No offense to sig (I owned a 556 it's not a bad rifle) but it's not in that league.

http://www.slip2000.com/art-swat2.html

Back
Top Bottom