• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Armed Guards at Registry!

SFC13557

NES Member
Traded in my 2017 Mustang GT/CS and Rav4 for a 2021 Toyota Highlander Limited Friday. Both vehicles had Vet plates on them and dealer told me plates on Rav4 were to faded and will put the Vet plates from Mustang on Highlander. Head to dealer to pick up registration Monday and they FU'd and put faded Vet plates on new registration and tell me they can't fix because of Vet plates and I need to go to Registry to correct. I told them I'd rather go to Dentist for root canal than go to Registry but they insist Registry told them they can't correct. Salesman and I head to Leominster Registry yesterday afternoon, walk in and there's 3 armed security guards at entrance and they ask us if we have appointment. HUH! Why does Registry have armed security? After bouncing between clerks with one telling us dealer must fix we finally get women who processes new registration with correct plate. What a PIA and again when did RMV get and why Armed Guards. Sign inside says no loud cell phone traffic and salesman is on his phone speaking Spanish and Guards walks over, taps him on shoulder and points to the sign. :rolleyes:

When I got my MA driver's license after moving here I went to Leominster RMV and they had armed guards there. When I registered and titled my truck at another RMV location it was the same thing.

The Attleboro RMV had an armed guard outside when I was going there regularly during Covid, one guy was a little surprised when I asked him how he liked the VP9. They supply their own guns.

They all have guards or registry police at them. Usually there’s a guy out front asking your name and do you have an appointment before they even let you in the building.

Traded in my 2017 Mustang GT/CS and Rav4 for a 2021 Toyota Highlander Limited Friday. Both vehicles had Vet plates on them and dealer told me plates on Rav4 were to faded and will put the Vet plates from Mustang on Highlander. Head to dealer to pick up registration Monday and they FU'd and put faded Vet plates on new registration and tell me they can't fix because of Vet plates and I need to go to Registry to correct. I told them I'd rather go to Dentist for root canal than go to Registry but they insist Registry told them they can't correct. Salesman and I head to Leominster Registry yesterday afternoon, walk in and there's 3 armed security guards at entrance and they ask us if we have appointment. HUH! Why does Registry have armed security? After bouncing between clerks with one telling us dealer must fix we finally get women who processes new registration with correct plate. What a PIA and again when did RMV get and why Armed Guards. Sign inside says no loud cell phone traffic and salesman is on his phone speaking Spanish and Guards walks over, taps him on shoulder and points to the sign. :rolleyes:

The why, if I had to guess, is to deal with people who get absolutely irate and flip out about having to deal with the RMV, pay stupid fees, etc etc.

Last time I was in there they absolutely robbed me; I had bought a motorcycle with a title that had already been signed and dated by seller 3 years previous, so they made me pay $350 in back taxes on it. Alternative was to drive to Maine and get the seller to fix the title. If I happened to be a mentally unstable person I certainly would have jumped across the counter in a fit of rage.

Last time I went I was darn near knocked over by the stench of weed on several of the other patrons. Couldn't believe it...

Newbie question: Can you carry at the RMV? I don't see it listed as a place where you can't.

so what happened with the plates?
The 3rd clerk I was shuffled to fixed the registration. After you get in line and finally make it to first clerk she tells me dealer needs to fix, salesman says dealer called Registry and was told I need to appear because of Vet plate. We get number and wait 1/2hr and finally get number called, walk to window hand male clerk both plates and incorrect Registration and explain situation and he says no go, dealership must fix. I point to salesman and he repeats that Dealer called Registry and was told I need to appear. He says no go, I need to go to insurance agent and get stamp and back to dealer to fix. I tell him negative and he pretty much tells us tough shit and to move on, he has other customers. I start calling my insurance agent and women in next station leans over and says I'll help you. :oops: We move to the right to her station, wait for her to finish with customer and I hand her plates and registration. She tells salesman dealership should be able to correct but says she will fix it. I'm glaring at the previous clerk and contemplating asking why he couldn't fix it but look back at the 3 Armed Guard and since I'm carrying I bite my tongue. 10 minutes later we're good to go and head back to dealer for sticker. This is why I was so pissed I had to deal with these morons, typical govt. stooges. Even the woman who helped us had no personality and when I thanked her for helping us she never even replied to me, not even your welcome.

Last time I went I was darn near knocked over by the stench of weed on several of the other patrons. Couldn't believe it...

Newbie question: Can you carry at the RMV? I don't see it listed as a place where you can't.
I was which is why I didn't make a scene, read my post below.

The why, if I had to guess, is to deal with people who get absolutely irate and flip out about having to deal with the RMV, pay stupid fees, etc etc.

Last time I was in there they absolutely robbed me; I had bought a motorcycle with a title that had already been signed and dated by seller 3 years previous, so they made me pay $350 in back taxes on it. Alternative was to drive to Maine and get the seller to fix the title. If I happened to be a mentally unstable person I certainly would have jumped across the counter in a fit of rage.
They charged salesman $60 to fix registration that dealer FUed. When dealership told me I had to go fix I said no way and then they told me to come back Tuesday and salesman would accompany me with their credit card. First time I'd been to RMV since before Covid and there were NO armed guards. As I posted before the Registry used to have their own cops who administered the road tests but they were eliminated in the 80's I believe.

Renewed my registration in June in Pelham, NH. No issues at all. A bit of a wait (there were a few people ahead of me). No numbers called for people (or other BS found in MA RMV for registrations). Then again, vehicle registration is not done at the same place that takes care of licenses. In a way, I'm glad that's how it's done. There are three stations at the town hall for registrations (not always occupied, depends on need). People there are always helpful and quick to complete the task. Only time it took longer was when I changed vehicles in June, before I had renewed the previous plate registration and got new plates.

IMO, the MA plates are designed to fade far faster than those in NH. Just another way that the MA .gov gets to legally rape their residents.

The dealer lied to you. I think it's a dealer scam to get you to pay for new plates. As long as you can read the numbers on the plate the plate it's good. Some scumbag at Bouchard Nissan told me the same thing. I said no I'm just going to transfer them. He said he won't do it. I told him fine I'll buy a truck somewhere else.
How does that scam work exactly?
You think they get kickbacks from the registry for the free replacement plates they give out?

I think the complete story is they could transfer but they would not pass inspection requirements by the book.

The weird thing is not the armed security it is the fact it is not a senior state trooper making $125 an hour.

The 3rd clerk I was shuffled to fixed the registration. After you get in line and finally make it to first clerk she tells me dealer needs to fix, salesman says dealer called Registry and was told I need to appear because of Vet plate. We get number and wait 1/2hr and finally get number called, walk to window hand male clerk both plates and incorrect Registration and explain situation and he says no go, dealership must fix. I point to salesman and he repeats that Dealer called Registry and was told I need to appear. He says no go, I need to go to insurance agent and get stamp and back to dealer to fix. I tell him negative and he pretty much tells us tough shit and to move on, he has other customers. I start calling my insurance agent and women in next station leans over and says I'll help you. :oops: We move to the right to her station, wait for her to finish with customer and I hand her plates and registration. She tells salesman dealership should be able to correct but says she will fix it. I'm glaring at the previous clerk and contemplating asking why he couldn't fix it but look back at the 3 Armed Guard and since I'm carrying I bite my tongue. 10 minutes later we're good to go and head back to dealer for sticker. This is why I was so pissed I had to deal with these morons, typical govt. stooges. Even the woman who helped us had no personality and when I thanked her for helping us she never even replied to me, not even your welcome.

Gotta say, "this is Mass".

The DMV in CT sucks. Lines around the building, pisspoor service, just awful trying to get anything done.

Moved to GA. Check out the DMV's website, fill up a folder with the paperwork they said I needed, walked in. Standing in line, lady walks up to me, asks me why I'm there, I tell her (new resident, license). She makes sure I have the required paperwork, sends me to a kiosk, tells me to get a number after that and wait to be called.

I wait, about 15 minutes, (maybe). Number gets called, I go up, we go through all of the paperwork, (this is for a "REAL ID" GA license). Finish up, clerk tells me that I'll either have my license or an explanation of why not within two weeks. 10 days later my license shows up.

Take my brandy new license down to the county admin building, walk in, get photo, prints, fill out app, write a check and get told that they'd call me in about two weeks. 10 days later they call me and I go pick up my weapons permit.

If GA can do this, MA and CT can also. But they don't. They just suck.

Open to the public (public property and not private)? Funded by your taxpayer dollars? Tell them there's no law against loud talking on cell phone. They are law enforcement not policy enforcement. Ask them what law is broken for loud cell phone.

Back
Top Bottom