Armed Man Arrested at Airport as Obama Departs

An Ohio man has been charged after authorities spotted him with a gun in a North Carolina airport parking lot as Air Force One was departing Sunday afternoon.

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- An armed man spotted at a North Carolina airport parking lot just after Air Force One departed Sunday told an officer he wanted to see the president and had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, authorities said.

Joseph Sean McVey, 23, of Coshocton, Ohio, is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith.

Security was heightened at the airport because President Barack Obama was leaving after spending the weekend vacationing in Asheville. He was headed to a memorial service for 29 West Virginia coal miners killed in an explosion.

At about 2 p.m., airport police saw McVey get out of a maroon car with Ohio plates and that he had a sidearm, Smith said. Both airport police and the Secret Service questioned him and he was taken into custody. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane, which had just departed, and was in a rental car return lot that is open to the public, Smith said.

READ MORE

After reading the description of this guy and his vehicle, I have to wonder if he had a single cartridge in his shirt pocket.

If so, I think we've found Barney Fife. [laugh]

So what crime was committed?

"going armed to the terror of the public"

A case summary filed with the court says police questioned McVey after noticing the car's Ohio license plate and electronic equipment. It says cops saw a digital camera and four antennas on the trunk lid.

The summary says when McVey emerged from the vehicle, an officer saw him wearing a sidearm. A computer check of McVey's driver's license indicated it wasn't valid. The summary adds when McVey was asked about what he was doing, he answered, he heard the president was in town. He said he wanted to see the president.

Policee then confiscated McVey's handgun and detained him. Reports say during a search of McVey's vehicle, cops say they heard radio chatter, found a siren under the steering wheel, listings of radio frequencies and notations of rifle scope formulas. Police did not say if more charges would be filed. McVey is being held on $100,000 bail.

Police began questioning McVey after noticing his car's Ohio license plate and other equipment, including a digital camera on the dashboard and four large antennas on the trunk lid, according to the case summary.

McVey got out of the car and started talking on a handheld radio attached to a remote earpiece, and the officer noticed he was wearing a sidearm. The officer and Secret Service agents asked for McVey's identification, and when they ran his driver's license number through a computer, it did not come back as valid, according to the summary.

When the officer asked what he was doing, McVey stated “he heard the president was in town. He stated he wanted to see the president,” according to the summary.

Officers removed McVey's Springfield XD 40 handgun and detained him.

While searching his Pontiac Grand Prix, investigators heard police department radio traffic, “indicating he was monitoring our frequency when he arrived.” Officers also found a siren box under his steering wheel, several pieces of paper with agency radio frequencies written on them and a sticky note in the cup holder with rifle scope formulas on them, according to the case summary.

Bleiweis said McVey's intentions were unclear, but the case remains under investigation.

Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith said the investigation is being pursued by airport police, rather than the Secret Service. Smith said he couldn't say whether further charges will be filed.

[shocked]
So what crime was committed?

Read between the lines. This guy was clearly a threat to himself and the public. Gosh if he turned that siren on he might've done irreparable harm to his ear drums. [shocked]

Reports say during a search of McVey's vehicle, cops say they heard radio chatter, found a siren under the steering wheel, listings of radio frequencies and notations of rifle scope formulas

While searching his Pontiac Grand Prix, investigators heard police department radio traffic, “indicating he was monitoring our frequency when he arrived.” Officers also found a siren box under his steering wheel, several pieces of paper with agency radio frequencies written on them and a sticky note in the cup holder with rifle scope formulas on them, according to the case summary.

[shocked]

guy is definatley an idiot. i wonder who he was talking to on his radio too [laugh] -he should have drove an actual "police" car, like a Charger or Crown Vic too [rofl]

[shocked]

guy is definatley an idiot. i wonder who he was talking to on his radio too [laugh] -he should have drove an actual "police" car, like a Charger or Crown Vic too [rofl]

Naw, Pontiac GLAND PEE FTwin. [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little digging on this one.

It seems there is no actually statue "Going armed to the terror of the public" on the North Carolina law books, so there's no law to site for it. Rather it's part of "Common Law" meaning, "Even though it's not in the law, it's against the law"

The "common law" text that is used is from the Northhampton decree of Edward III (yup, the KING of ENGLAND) prior to the revolutionary war. This royal decree makes it a crime to "arm oneself with unusual and dangerous weapons for the purpose of terrifying the king's subjects"

Case law (that is, decisions by judges) have sense decided that: 1 any gun is "unusual" since it is not part of everyman's common dress. Thus, the question (under this royal decree maintained by the court of NC) was his purpose "for terrorising the public"

What's ever better, he's being held on $100,000 bond for a charge that has a maximum penalty of $1,000 fine and/or 120 days in jail.

Add to that, the North Carolina Constitution grants every citizen of North Carolina the right to bear arms for the defense of the State, but their Supreme Court has decided that right only applies when actively defending the State, not the ability to bear arms on a consistent and regular basis.

Last edited:
I did a little digging on this one.

It seems there is no actually statue "Going armed to the terror of the public" on the North Carolina law books, so there's no law to site for it. Rather it's part of "Common Law" meaning, "Even though it's not in the law, it's against the law"

The "common law" text that is used is from the Northhampton decree of Edward III (yup, the KING of ENGLAND) prior to the revolutionary war. This royal decree makes it a crime to "arm oneself with unusual and dangerous weapons for the purpose of terrifying the king's subjects"

Case law (that is, decisions by judges) have sense decided that: 1 any gun is "unusual" since it is not part of everyman's common dress. Thus, the question (under this royal decree maintained by the court of NC) was his purpose "for terrorising the public"

What's ever better, he's being held on $100,000 bond for a charge that has a maximum penalty of $1,000 fine and/or 120 days in jail.

Add to that, the North Carolina Constitution grants every citizen of North Carolina the right to bear arms for the defense of the State, but their Supreme Court has decided that right only applies when actively defending the State, not the ability to bear arms on a consistent and regular basis.

And I though every state in the South was relatively good in regards to law. Apparently I was wrong.

**** NC.

I'd like to hear the rest of the story.

The rest of the story is that he is a sheriff's deputy, either full or part time, (can carry lawfully anywhere in the country across state lines) and he is a licensed ham, the reason for the radio gear and antenni on the car.

The whole incident is a propaganda sham.

Who is Joseph "Sean" McVey?

157111-43214.jpg

A Coshocton County man is causing quite the commotion in North Carolina. Joseph "Sean" McVey was found armed in a North Carolina parking lot yesterday afternoon as Air Force One, that was carrying President Obama, was departing.

McVey was arrested and has since been charged, but some fellow co-workers say they're shocked about the whole incident.

"He's kind of a young kid. He's just kind of a go-getter. His adrenaline gets rolling, and he just kind of wants to go, go, " says Coshocton County REACT President, Tim Wise.

McVey joined the Coshocton County REACT Team back in June of 2008 with dreams of eventually becoming an Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper, but McVey's eagerness and zeal seems to have gotten him in trouble with the law.

"To be honest with you, I really think Sean was probably there to be nosey, thinking if they needed a traffic detail or something, he would be there to help somebody, " says Wise.

It isn't the first time McVey has been reprimanded. When he was working with react, he was caught speeding several times trying to get to a scene to help local law enforcement and fire departments. It almost caused some accidents. So, McVey was suspended, but Wise says the incidents didn't make him think differently of McVey.

"I would never consider Sean as a threat. I think he would go across the street to help somebody before he would do this, "says Wise.

Wise says McVey just wants to help, but he can't explain why McVey was carrying a weapon. In fact, he didn't even know McVey owned a gun.

"As far as everything that was on his vehicle, all the antennas, all the radios, the lights, and everything, he has that when he was in Coshocton, " says Wise.

Wise says he feels sorry for McVey but he doesn't want react to get mixed up in this mess.

"I just don't want people to take this the wrong way and think that this kid did something wrong. (I don't want him) to give us a black eye for it because I don't think he was out there acting as REACT. I don't think he was out there acting as a HAM operator. I think he was out there acting as Sean, " says Wise.

Wise hadn't been in contact with McVey for a few months. He says McVey recently moved to Athens County to work for his aunt.

http://www.whiznews.com/content/news/local/2010/04/26/who-is-joseph-sean-mcvey

157111-43214.jpg

It's Harry Potter meets Greg Girard, the sequel.

Anyone else notice a trend here?

Disarm, arrest, hold without bail on thinly veiled charge, have the .gov fanboy media portray him as a complete wackjob-danger to society.

He had a "formula" for riflescopes. WTF is that?

Last edited:
[shocked]

Read between the lines. This guy was clearly a threat to himself and the public. Gosh if he turned that siren on he might've done irreparable harm to his ear drums. [shocked]

Who drives to NC to meet with the President? don't you think that it is unusual? He doesn't look like a deputy. He had clear lenses in the car according to the FOX article. He did not have police gear. The siren is questionable.

Who drives to NC to meet with the President? don't you think that it is unusual? He doesn't look like a deputy. He had clear lenses in the car according to the FOX article. He did not have police gear. The siren is questionable.

Did a little research into the guy.

He is part of a volunteer emergency response unit that helps the local police direct traffic during an emergency. He has a police scanner for that purpose. He has been "warned" a few times about speeding while responding to such services.

He also didn't "drive to NC to meet with the President" He was in NC on unrelated business (vacation according to one news report) and heard the President was in the area.

Reading a number of reports - He's an over-enthusiastic police want-to-be. Nothing seems to indicate that he had any intention of "terrorizing the kings subjects" by open-carrying a handgun or had any intentions of harming the president. Most likely he was in the area, heard that the President was at the airport and drove over for a chance to meet him / shake his hand.

[shocked]

This nut is definitely a mall-ninja. Well, he made the big time: his own personal file in the Secret Service data base of individuals who are potentially dangerous to the POTUS![smile]

157111-43214.jpg

It's Harry Potter meets Greg Girard, the sequel.

Anyone else notice a trend here?

Disarm, arrest, hold without bail on thinly veiled charge, have the .gov fanboy media portray him as a complete wackjob-danger to society.

He had a "formula" for riflescopes. WTF is that?
Probably his own "sniper log". Professional snipers (Marine Scout Snipers, Army Special Forces, Naval Special Warfare commandos) all use them. They note weather conditions, wind, range, shots fired, etc. for future reference. Also, bullet drop/holdover compensation for different ranges and loads, although B.D.C. MilDot reticles make this task somewhat easier. Why a civilian needs something like that is another matter. Just sighting in with your favorite load and re-zeroing the scope for a different load would be a lot less complicated. This guy sounds like a paramilitary nut job. He wanted attention in the worst way and he got it in the worst way!

Back
Top Bottom