• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF E-Forms Submission wait time

There wouldn't be any #2 because you have no co-trustees. Not sure about #1, how does anyone know whether or not there are any co trustees without seeing that form? But I'm not a lawyer

Yes I included a copy of my LTC (front and back). I didn't for my co trustee and am hoping they don't need it, but I think not because you can have co trustees in other states.

I could write N/A on those I suppose, have them notorized, and send them in. I think I will try to get in touch with Guntrust to ask.

Thanks again
Ok update. I've been in contact with the lawyer from Guntrust. He said to include the exhibits 1 & 2, as they are mentioned in the trust, but to leave them blank or write n/a on them. Now I just need it notarized.

Does anyone know if you can do 2 sbr's on 1 E-form or do you have to do them as separate transactions? Also, for those of you who have done this, is it easier to have my paperwork scanned into a single attachment first or do they ask for each item separately?

I scanned my entire trust with attachments (don't forget to include the property assignment for your receiver) into one PDF. And separate PDF for my LTC. When you upload you select what type of document it is. Also don't get confused about the upload for the firearm description, unless you need to upload a separate document about it you can skip that part.

I have read that despite indications otherwise, they really only support one firearm per application at this time.

FYI, just give the website some time to work as you move through the steps. It is slow. On the very last part of the submission it looked like it hung for a couple minutes, then my email dinged and then it said it was done.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also there is a 3mb limit per file uploaded and IIRC a 10mb limit per application. Just pay attention when you're scanning your docs.

[/QUOTE]

I scanned my entire trust with attachments (don't forget to include the property assignment for your receiver) into one PDF. And separate PDF for my LTC. When you upload you select what type of document it is. Also don't get confused about the upload for the firearm description, unless you need to upload a separate document about it you can skip that part.

I have read that despite indications otherwise, they really only support one firearm per application at this time.

FYI, just give the website some time to work as you move through the steps. It is slow. On the very last part of the submission it looked like it hung for a couple minutes, then my email dinged and then it said it was done.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also there is a 3mb limit per file uploaded and IIRC a 10mb limit per application. Just pay attention when you're scanning your docs.
Thanks for that info. It's gonna save me some time and headaches. Do you know of any issues with using a Mac ?

Thanks for that info. It's gonna save me some time and headaches. Do you know of any issues with using a Mac ?

Notice to eForms Users: ATF recommends the use of Internet Explorer 8 or Safari OS X (10.7.5) as your browser. The use of other browsers, such as Internet Explorer 9, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox, may present problems for registration and submission. ATF is working to resolve these issues and will provide updates regarding resolution to the users.

I'm on OS X 10.9.1 with Safari 7.0.1.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, I had put the full name of my trust (exactly as it appears on your trust document) in the Description field for the firearm, but that never made it onto the draft form that it generates. I had assumed that that box correlates to 4h on the paper form, but maybe not.

I went back in, and it says for description "PRODUCT TYPE IS SHORT BARRELED RIFLE : [name of trust, town MA]" so I think they'll still see it. I had read that if you didn't provide that (indicating what other identifying marks will be present on the firearm) that they might kick it back.

I went back in, and it says for description "PRODUCT TYPE IS SHORT BARRELED RIFLE : [name of trust, town MA]" so I think they'll still see it. I had read that if you didn't provide that (indicating what other identifying marks will be present on the firearm) that they might kick it back.
So, for description, I should put "short barreled rifle, XXXX Trust, XXXX MA"? Did you put color there or is that another question?

So, for description, I should put "short barreled rifle, XXXX Trust, XXXX MA"? Did you put color there or is that another question?

No all I put in there was XXX Trust, XXX MA. They auto filled the rest of it. Nowhere on the form did it ask about color.

Gotcha. The headaches we endure to be legal. Lol

As a friend put it to me the other day, "Just think, in 13 or so weeks you will be legally able to attach one piece of metal to another piece of metal with an arbitrary length. God bless America!"

As a friend put it to me the other day, "Just think, in 13 or so weeks you will be legally able to attach one piece of metal to another piece of metal with an arbitrary length. God bless America!"
Unfortunately, that about sums it up. 'Murica [laugh]

Does anyone know how I can reduce the size of a pdf on an iMac? Exodious got me thinking about the file size upload limitations for the E-form (3mb per upload & 10mb max). When I received the trust, in pdf form, it was around 87kb for 20+ pages of text. Now, I'm scanning the pages back in (around 15 pgs) to create a test file to see how large it will be. Each page is over 800kb alone! This will far exceed the file limit. I'm using a HP desktop scanner & an iMac.

I'm not very computer literate so dumb it down for me. [smile]

Also, I don't mean to derail this thread. I can take this question elsewhere, though I feel it pertinent to the E-form process. PM me if you wish.

Thanks

Without having some kind of PDF editing software more advanced than OS X's preview app, I think you should adjust your scanner settings to be lower resolution. I think my entire trust PDF with attachments was under 2mb and even that is probably more detail than required. You just need it to be good enough that it is readable both on screen and printed.

See if your scanner software has a "text" or similar setting for the scan quality? You don't need to make photo quality scans.

I use VueScan and used it's text setting. It's compatible with a lot of scanners but you'd have to check. I think there is a free trial.

I uploaded my trust as 2 separate PDF docs and labeled as such.
Do you happen to remember the size of each file and how many pages of documents you sent in each? I'm probably looking at about 15 pages total. That's for the trust and the other requested documents. I'm trying to avoid a situation where I have my PDF files ready to upload and they turn out to be too large.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfwriterformac/

you might be able to tweak options with this and just "print" the PDF... to another PDF.
Thanks atilla. I just saw this post. I'm going to look into it now. Through trial & error, I was able to compress a 2 page test file of 1.1mb down to 66kb. It's pretty damn blurry on screen & in print. Not sure if the quality is gonna fly.

I did this (iMac):
1. Open Preview, in Applications folder
2. Choose file > Open, select the PDF file to compress, and then click Open
3. Choose File > Export, choose Reduce File Size from the Quartz filter pop-up menu, and then choose a name and location for the new PDF file
4. Click save

Thanks atilla. I just saw this post. I'm going to look into it now. Through trial & error, I was able to compress a 2 page test file of 1.1mb down to 66kb. It's pretty damn blurry on screen & in print. Not sure if the quality is gonna fly.

I did this (iMac):
1. Open Preview, in Applications folder
2. Choose file > Open, select the PDF file to compress, and then click Open
3. Choose File > Export, choose Reduce File Size from the Quartz filter pop-up menu, and then choose a name and location for the new PDF file
4. Click save

I think you will have better results if you just re-scan your document with different settings. Most of the applications that come with scanners are pretty limited, but there's got to be a setting for just scanning a text document.

I think you will have better results if you just re-scan your document with different settings. Most of the applications that come with scanners are pretty limited, but there's got to be a setting for just scanning a text document.

yeah, if you scan as text it'll be way smaller than if you do it as an image.

There are actually 4 touchscreen options on the printer for scanning: Photo to email, Photo to document, text to email and text to document. The photo options create a JPEG but are not capturing the entire text and it's somehow flopped for photo orientation so I'm not messing around with that. I have been using the text to document option. Even using this option and tweaking the resolution does not reduce the size of the file enough.

From what I've seen on the inter webs they don't send out a paper stamp just the digital one you print off from the eforms site.
It'd be funny if it weren't so sad. You send the BATFE a bunch of PDFs and $200, and they send you back a PDF picture of your cancelled tax stamp.

I got mine from the same place. Same setup, though I have a co-trustee. Yes on notary, though you'll need a couple witnesses.
If you end up opening a trust account at a local bank, often they'll do the notary for free, and even rope in some other bank staff to act as witnesses. Full-service banking at it's finest!

There are actually 4 touchscreen options on the printer for scanning: Photo to email, Photo to document, text to email and text to document. The photo options create a JPEG but are not capturing the entire text and it's somehow flopped for photo orientation so I'm not messing around with that. I have been using the text to document option. Even using this option and tweaking the resolution does not reduce the size of the file enough.
Starting to turn into a tech-support thread. You might want to try doing the scanning with a more full-featured scanner and scan application rather than using one of the 4 options built into your printer. If you have a friend who works with documents and scanning regularly, could probably turn it around as a minimally-sized file in 5 minutes instead of you spending an hour plus fiddling with JPEGs.

Second option, divide the trust document into multiple files:
Instructions NFA Trust Documents:
We have been advised that, for NFA forms, the size of the trust or corporate documents may exceed the 3 MB limit. If you encounter this situation, we suggest that you split the document into 2 or more ‘packages’ (as needed). When the attachments are added, identify the packages as, for example, ‘XXX Trust 1 of 3,’ ‘XXX Trust 2 of 3,’ etc.

Last edited:

Try downloading a trial of VueScan from www.hamrick.com and see if it works with your scanner. There's a crapload of options in there, but if you select the media type as text and tell it to output to PDF it might work.

Note that there is a multi-page PDF option, which doesn't generate the PDF file until after you scan your last page and then click the last page button.

Starting to turn into a tech-support thread. You might want to try doing the scanning with a more full-featured scanner and scan application rather than using one of the 4 options built into your printer. If you have a friend who works with documents and scanning regularly, could probably turn it around as a minimally-sized file in 5 minutes instead of you spending an hour plus fiddling with JPEGs.

Second option, divide the trust document into multiple files:

I think the multiple file options will still exceed the 10mb total limit mentioned. Also,I apologize for turning the thread into this. It started as a simple question and snowballed. My fault. I'll find the answers elsewhere.

Try downloading a trial of VueScan from www.hamrick.com and see if it works with your scanner. There's a crapload of options in there, but if you select the media type as text and tell it to output to PDF it might work.

Note that there is a multi-page PDF option, which doesn't generate the PDF file until after you scan your last page and then click the last page button.
Thanks for all your help. I'll give it a go. And sorry for the clutter. I'm done here until it's filed.

So for those of you who have had done e-forms, did you get an email when it went pending?

Edit: I did a little reading, and pending means that (for paper forms) your application has been entered into the computers and is now waiting for an examiner to look at it. So the email I got that says it is "SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS" would be the equivalent?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom