ATF eForm 1 mega thread. Process and approvals!

Lol, what’s that like? Are they totally confused?
At first it looked like he was going to put it straight into the trash, but he paused and reluctantly put it in his office. I think he was pissed that this Ahole from MA was making him work (in NH now different attitudes from the cops).

At first it looked like he was going to put it straight into the trash, but he paused and reluctantly put it in his office. I think he was pissed that this Ahole from MA was making him work (in NH now different attitudes from the cops).
I just send mine to the Commonwealth AG, he’s a Soros f***er and it gives me some satisfaction.

If you don’t mind jumping in and quickly summarizing what I just read. I am trying to understand the process myself.
After filling out form 1 and the required bits and pieces (mug shot, prints etc), and notifying town LEO of your intension of building an SBR, the wait begins for feds stamp and approval.
Once you get your tax stamp from the feds, then you can proceed with the Massachusetts EFA10 for the new built lower receiver, that will be matched with the SBR upper.
This complete SBR system is now a Massachusetts registered SBR.
Is this an accurate summary?
Now,
During the fed stamp and approval wait time, you are within your rights to build or purchase the SBR upper receiver correct? And as long as you do not put it together with a “functional” lower, your are not in violation of any federal laws correct?
My understanding is that possessing the SBR upper is not a crime until it is put together with a lower without a stamp. Thanks for your input

If you don’t mind jumping in and quickly summarizing what I just read. I am trying to understand the process myself.
After filling out form 1 and the required bits and pieces (mug shot, prints etc), and notifying town LEO of your intension of building an SBR, the wait begins for feds stamp and approval.
Once you get your tax stamp from the feds, then you can proceed with the Massachusetts EFA10 for the new built lower receiver, that will be matched with the SBR upper.
Now,
During the fed stamp and approval wait time, you are within your rights to build or purchase the SBR upper receiver correct? And as long as you do not put it together with a “functional” lower, your are not in violation of any federal laws correct?
My understanding is that possessing the SBR upper is not a crime until it is put together with a lower without a stamp. Thanks for your input
LEO can be anyone from your local CLEO or the AG and anyone in between.
Once you get your Form 1 approved and create a firearm (by definition in MA) you have 7 days to notify via the EFA10

While your form 1 is pending you can build an upper but I would not keep it anywhere near the lower. Store them separate from each other. The construction possession thing is grey and Im not a lawyer but chances are if you get visited by the ATF while your form 1 is pending you got more problems then a single SBR.

Now,
Everything @Lxpony said and you have to have it engraved, you may as well do this while you are waiting for the approval. It has to be conspicuous and I like to challenge that when I can, it annoys me to engrave a serialized lower.

Everything @Lxpony said and you have to have it engraved, you may as well do this while you are waiting for the approval. It has to be conspicuous and I like to challenge that when I can, it annoys me to engrave a serialized lower.
I make a game out of the best places to engrave my buns. Certain SBRs like my APC9, Bren2 and ACR have totally compliant but hidden in plain sight locations.

I make a game out of the best places to engrave my buns. Certain SBRs like my APC9, Bren2 and ACR have totally compliant but hidden in plain sight locations.
I engraved my APC9SD in two consecutive low points on the picatinny rail, name in one and city state in the next. Then I mounted my Aimpoint ACRO over the engraving. Its arguable it not conspicuous but it has a quick release mount!

I engraved my APC9SD in two consecutive low points on the picatinny rail, name in one and city state in the next. Then I mounted my Aimpoint ACRO over the engraving. Its arguable it not conspicuous but it has a quick release mount!
Mine is inside the receiver on left side. You pull back on the charging handle and lock the bolt back and its clearly visible on the INSIDE of the receiver.

Incredible and also maybe not conspicuous 🤣
More so then when Adco engraved by HK94 on the underside of the barrel so you needed to pop off the handguard to see it..... they said that was totally within compliance since no tools were needed to remove the handguard to view the markings. that was 2006 and the ATF hasnt come asking to see it yet....

More so then when Adco engraved by HK94 on the underside of the barrel so you needed to pop off the handguard to see it..... they said that was totally within compliance since no tools were needed to remove the handguard to view the markings. that was 2006 and the ATF hasnt come asking to see it yet....
As you pointed out upstream, if the ATF is showing up for an engraving infraction you have much bigger problems.

Have fun with it. Pick a trust name, font and size based on making it look good. How about "Boomstick Trust", large Brush Script font, filled in with bright red paint. Remember, you can name your trust ANYTHING you want and you're required to engrave it.

Mine is inside the receiver on left side. You pull back on the charging handle and lock the bolt back and its clearly visible on the INSIDE of the receiver.
Mine are all on the inside of the mag well lip so only visible when there isn't a magazine inserted. Also easy to remove if I were ever to remove them from the registry (why I'd ever do that, I have no idea - maybe if the republicans take control one day and abolish the ATF and NFA)

Have fun with it. Pick a trust name, font and size based on making it look good. How about "Boomstick Trust", large Brush Script font, filled in with bright red paint. Remember, you can name your trust ANYTHING you want and you're required to engrave it.
Anime Titties Trust

I'm looking to start a family trust and submit for an SBR. Is there a good set of instructions to follow?
This was my go to when eFile launched, the guy who writes these can do your trust too.

Direct link if you don't reddit

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/9ukljl/how_to_guide_and_walkthrough_guide_for_the_atf/

Mine are all on the inside of the mag well lip so only visible when there isn't a magazine inserted. Also easy to remove if I were ever to remove them from the registry (why I'd ever do that, I have no idea - maybe if the republicans take control one day and abolish the ATF and NFA)
For what it's worth, nothing gets "removed" from the registry. A note gets appended to the file saying the item is no longer in NFA status. It's not like they remove the Form and toss it.

For what it's worth, nothing gets "removed" from the registry. A note gets appended to the file saying the item is no longer in NFA status. It's not like they remove the Form and toss it.
I understand. I just meant removed as a registered SBR for the purposes of selling it.

To be honest, I'm not sure I get the (very popular) motivation to "hide" the engraving. All my ARs are engraved right over the hammer/trigger pins, in the same font as the manufacturer's.

I match this font:

apar501101c-ar15-stripped-lower-receiver-black-2.jpg

In this spot:
apar501101c-ar15-stripped-lower-receiver-black-1.jpg

Looks pretty normal. Granted, this is an AR-specific example, but you get my point. AR lowers are commodities, unless you're talking about something special like a ban-era "LEO Only" marked Colt 6920 or something like that. Beyond that, I'm not sweating the engraving location.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom