• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF, FBI seize firearms from home on Robert Drive in Holyoke

Nice looking guns. I wonder will he ever get them back?
If AFT confiscates guns,
I bet they don't go into Mass bonded warehouses.

I wonder if he was on the the trigger lists or ST lists and that brought the attention on him
I wonder what his NES screen name is...

The bona fide hoarders, though... it's a sickness. ... a friend of the family - his house got so stuffed with ... old newspapers, ... - he literally couldn't move around anymore ...
There's "couldn't move around",
and then there's "couldn't move around".

Interesting, according to the web, there are two Daniel Augustos at that address, a Jr and a Sr. Both of them are listed as recently working for the City of Holyoke.

So I live in Holyoke, there is a good bit more to it than the news has reported on so far(shocker). The whole situation is a shame (from a firearms collector POV), A lot of really nice firearms will likely never be seen again. I only know a limited amount, but I do know there were well over 200 firearms, many of which had too many spots on the safety selector, a lot of "solvent catch cans", etc. This wasn't Joe shmo getting busted for having a non-pre ban "hi cap" or an adjustable stock. Picture a typical house from the show hoarders, except with regulated items strewn about all over with the garbage and clothing. I have no use for the NFA or any infringement of rights, but from what I saw, this guy was not smart on a whole different level.
Was he "dangerous" or just liked stuff he's not allowed to have?

In MA I think the FRT meets the definition of a machine gun under the bump stock law, this doesn't carry over to federal level AFAIK, but in ma:

''Bump stock'', any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger. (MGL)

For the FRT the movement of the bolt carrier forces the locking bar and hammer to engage the trigger, controlling the reset, I think that's going to meet the definition of using the recoil to create a reciprocating action to facilitate the repeated activatoin.

In MA I think the FRT meets the definition of a machine gun under the bump stock law, this doesn't carry over to federal level AFAIK, but in ma:

''Bump stock'', any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger. (MGL)

For the FRT the movement of the bolt carrier forces the locking bar and hammer to engage the trigger, controlling the reset, I think that's going to meet the definition of using the recoil to create a reciprocating action to facilitate the repeated activatoin.
From a technical standpoint it doesn't use recoil energy.
It uses energy from the gas impulse on the bolt carrier stored in the buffer spring.

But the truth doesn't matter to kangaroo courts

From a technical standpoint it doesn't use recoil energy.
It uses energy from the gas impulse on the bolt carrier stored in the buffer spring.

But the truth doesn't matter to kangaroo courts

"any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon" is a pretty broad and reaching definition for bump stocks. I guess binary triggers are now bump stocks too?

Endangered I didn't know you were a gun guy. We now have another topic to talk about. The 1946 CJ2A guy.

"any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon" is a pretty broad and reaching definition for bump stocks. I guess binary triggers are now bump stocks too?
Yes but the full text is
“Bump stock”, any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger.
So the definition is very specific on the physical action necessary to be a bump stock - it needs to use the recoil energy to generate a reciprocating action. The FRT does not use the the recoil (it uses bolt force) nor does it reciprocate (the force rotates the trigger on the trigger pin against your finger with an oscillating motion)
By this definition, my son is a machine gun as he is very good at bump firing my mini-14.

The narrator states that the guy was charged (maybe he said arrested) for possession of unregistered firearms (and other things, like the triggers).

But MA doesn't have firearm registration, so is the narrator making stuff up, getting his info from somebody that made stuff up, or was he really charged with having unregistered firearms.

IS there a law in MA that requires the registration of firearms? (EFA10 is not registration and failing to do it is a relatively minor offense)

(It does sound like he's screwed if he really has suppressors, etc, regardless of the charge I asked about)

The narrator states that the guy was charged (maybe he said arrested) for possession of unregistered firearms (and other things, like the triggers).

But MA doesn't have firearm registration, so is the narrator making stuff up, getting his info from somebody that made stuff up, or was he really charged with having unregistered firearms.

IS there a law in MA that requires the registration of firearms? (EFA10 is not registration and failing to do it is a relatively minor offense)

(It does sound like he's screwed if he really has suppressors, etc, regardless of the charge I asked about)
If they found MGs (including wish triggers) those would be "unregistered" in that the NFA demands it. This could be a genuine misunderstanding of the difference between state and federal...

If these are federal charges the term "unregistered firearm" potentially has a completely different meaning. IOW, they're talking about "unregistered NFA devices" and that kind of
thing. Of course the media rarely if ever properly delineates who is applying the charges and what they are etc.

If they found MGs (including wish triggers) those would be "unregistered" in that the NFA demands it. This could be a genuine misunderstanding of the difference between state and federal...
Yes, even Mr guns and gear was confused about the “unregistered fire arms” charge. That is how it is always stated by the feds “not registered in the national registration and transfer record (NFRTR)” when someone is charged with an NFA violation.

These small key details are often missed in the story. I am often not sure if that is intentional to be sensationalist or not. The Rare breed triggers don’t seem to even be that cause of this guys troubles although problematic it doesn’t seem that’s why they were there to begin with. They are being promoted as the cause of his problems. This seems disingenuous.

Yes, even Mr guns and gear was confused about the “unregistered fire arms” charge. That is how it is always stated by the feds “not registered in the national registration and transfer record (NFRTR)” when someone is charged with an NFA violation.

These small key details are often missed in the story. I am often not sure if that is intentional to be sensationalist or not. The Rare breed triggers don’t seem to even be that cause of this guys troubles although problematic it doesn’t seem that’s why they were there to begin with. They are being promoted as the cause of his problems. This seems disingenuous.

In the end, we'll never be told that the real reason for the raid was a neighbor was frightened because he saw the man carry one of the wood stocked hunting rifles into the house...

In the end, we'll never be told that the real reason for the raid was a neighbor was frightened because he saw the man carry one of the wood stocked hunting rifles into the house...
my money's on having purchased the suppressors and/or Glock switches from one of the obvious honeypot websites.

If these are federal charges the term "unregistered firearm" potentially has a completely different meaning. IOW, they're talking about "unregistered NFA devices" and that kind of thing.
Yes, I recall a fellow convicted for an "unregistered firearm", which was a derringer in one of those wallet holsters that would let it be fired without removing it.

The two things together created an AOW, requiring a $5 tax stamp and NFA registration.

Back
Top Bottom