• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Athol, MA Appleseed Feb 7th & 8th

The rifle will be fine to use. 20 rounders as well.

Clean it well, leave it DRY, no lube, other than a possible really thin coat of CLP (Breakfree), just enough to keep it from rusting, then wipe that off. Do that at least a week prior to the Appleseed, so it has time to dry.

Does this go for all rifles or just ARs? I haven't done much cold weather shooting so I'm unsure what things change in those conditions.

Does this go for all rifles or just ARs? I haven't done much cold weather shooting so I'm unsure what things change in those conditions.

Pretty much the same is what you do to any rifle, other than M1 Garands and M14 clones (M1A and others). Those, you use the usual grease to lube with, and wipe that off as good as possible.

So I am assuming excess lube either doesn't do very good (gums up the action maybe?) or at the least doesn't help in cold weather?

Am I on the right track here? I just want to make sure I understand what I'm doing when I prep my LTR for that weekend.

Oil thickens up in cold weather - thick oil is not good for your action. I'd imagine that you'd get a lot of FTFs and FTEs. Plus stovepipes.

Oil thickens up in cold weather - thick oil is not good for your action. I'd imagine that you'd get a lot of FTFs and FTEs. Plus stovepipes.

Gotcha.

images

CLUB MEMBERSHIP

I'll be running Mini Appleseeds in the Jafrey/Peterboro area as soon as I can get a membership in a club.

The club you want is the Monadnock Rod & Gun Club, Inc. (MRGCI).

http://www.mrgci.com/index.html

This is the perfect club for minis, because the line's too small (30 ft.) for the full monty. They are a great bunch of people who are exceptionaly well-dispositioned toward Appleseed.

I joined and ran a mini there in November. See the New Hampshire thread at Appleseedinfo.org. (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4470.0).

This will be a good Appleseed club once we adapt to the short line for small shoots. The benches can be moved. Call me when you're about to do one, as I can help.

Call Bob Kelly at (603) 899-3026 to join. Low membership fee, too.

I am gathering everything I need for the shoot and I have a question. The checklists are calling for 5ea 20rnd magazines. I know that the LTRs are using the standard issue 10rnd mags, but should we have 5 of them? Or is the course of fire changed because of the 10rnd mags?

The course of fire is the same at all Appleseeds, just bring enough mags.

Hmmm... maybe I am over thinking this [smile] But, not knowing what the course of fire is at an Appleseed, If the check list is calling for 5 20rnd mags that could equal a possible round count of 100 in a specific course of fire. If we are using 10rnd magazines, Do we need 10 magazines to be able to obtain that possible 100rnd count? Or is the course of fire designed for 5 mags which won't be loaded past 10 rnds?

Please excuse the noob question, I just want to be prepared [wink]

I am gathering everything I need for the shoot and I have a question. The checklists are calling for 5ea 20rnd magazines. I know that the LTRs are using the standard issue 10rnd mags, but should we have 5 of them? Or is the course of fire changed because of the 10rnd mags?

Not sure what checklist you're looking at, but at a minimum you want enough magazines to fire 40 rounds without reloading. The AQT is 40 rounds.

Appleseed doesn't care if they're 5, 10 or 20 rounds, but MA does... and it's tough to find preban 20 round 10/22 magazines. [wink]

My recommendation is to go with the FACTORY magazines - you can order more at Brownells or Midway USA. Or pay $20 each for them at Dicks.

+1 to Ross' post. I think 5-6 factory mags is the way to go for 10/22 shooters. You could get by with 4, but I like to have a spare or two in case I don't prep them quick enough or someone needs to borrow one.

I like to have a spare or two, my last appleseed I was having at least one jam per AQT, and so I ended up reloading magazines during the course of fire sometimes.

Make sure your rifle is reliable, I just ordered an extractor upgrade to hopefully make sure I'm in the clear for this time.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. The checklist is from the Appleseed web site

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/pdf/what_to_bring_shoot.pdf
Huh. I don't ever recall seeing FIVE mags mentioned. Well, you certainly can't have too many mags, so if you want, do it. I've shot all my Appleseeds with 4 10 rounders, though. And I think that the 20 round mags mentioned were probably for the AR platform. That checklist was written before the current explosion in ammo costs, so there were a LOT more AR and M1 shooters than you see currently.

Make sure your rifle is reliable, I just ordered an extractor upgrade to hopefully make sure I'm in the clear for this time.
Thanks for reminding me!! I've got a couple of Volquartsen Exact Edge extractors on my bench waiting to be installed. Think I'll do that this afternoon.

Sling went on this morning.

Tested out a new pair of long johns yesterday!!! (Still hoping for mild weather though...)

Only have two mags, guess I'd better get a few more...

Thanks for reminding me!! I've got a couple of Volquartsen Exact Edge extractors on my bench waiting to be installed. Think I'll do that this afternoon.

That seems to have solved my stovepiping problem, though I haven't shot at full appleseed volume yet.

Increase cold weather reliability...

I've got a couple of Volquartsen Exact Edge extractors on my bench waiting to be installed. Think I'll do that this afternoon.

With about a month to go to the shoot, what little things can I do to my LTR to increase it's reliability for cold weather? It's in LTR basic configuration. Sling, Tech sights, extended mag release, auto bolt release mod. But that's it. I like the idea of a new extractor, possibly an aftermarket hammer. People seem to think this helps reliabilty and trigger pull. The rifle is about 20 years old, maybe some new springs?

I am going to go out sometime this week and see how it likes the cold weather with different ammo.

Any thoughts?

That seems to have solved my stovepiping problem, though I haven't shot at full appleseed volume yet.

Thats good to hear... lately my 10/22 has been giving me 1 or more stovepipes every or every other mag. Makes it hard to focus on shooting when your always clearing issues. I think mine will show up on Friday, can't wait to see if it makes a difference.

Should I be concerned?

I got an invite to come to the appleseed (that I already payed for) in Feb. When it asks "will you be attending" and you try to click "yes"... it bring you to an order form where it expects you to pay for it.... again.

[thinking]

I understand that the AS forum software crashed yesterday - HARD. This may have been a reset, or just a mass mailing.

FWIW, I got an invite, too... and I'm the SHOOT BOSS!!! [laugh]

I understand that the AS forum software crashed yesterday - HARD. This may have been a reset, or just a mass mailing.

Do we need to do anything? Confirm we are coming with anyone?

On another note, I'm taking the LTR out today for a little cold weather work out. [smile]

Should I be concerned?

I got an invite to come to the appleseed (that I already payed for) in Feb. When it asks "will you be attending" and you try to click "yes"... it bring you to an order form where it expects you to pay for it.... again.

[thinking]

I think it was a mass e-mail, I got one too. I'm not signed up, I think I'm going to wait until the one at Harvard in April. I did attend one in the Fall, so that's probably where they got my e-mail from.

Should I be concerned?

[thinking]

You should be all set. I would ignore the invitation, as it's a mass e-mail to all previous Appleseeders for the area. If you want a confirmation of your current on-line registration, PM me with your real name and the e-mail you used to register with.

Well, it does send to everybody that attended.

I'm hoping to be able to attend, but not sure if I have to work yet or not. If I sign up and end up having to work, can I get a refund?

Well, if you cancel last minute, a refund usually won't happen, unless there's obvious unforeseeable circumstances (hint, working isn't considered unforeseen). However, we usually can simply credit it to a later event for you.

I don't recommend doing this just because you don't like the weather that day.

Folks, if you're not sure weather wise, then just pay the extra $5-$10 to register on-site.

I think it was a mass e-mail, I got one too. I'm not signed up, I think I'm going to wait until the one at Harvard in April. I did attend one in the Fall, so that's probably where they got my e-mail from.

As stated, it was a mass e-mail. Basically, a way of letting folks know we're coming back to the area.

Remember, not many parts of the country are as fortunate asa we are to have an active forum in the area, that is pro-Appleseed. Truth be known, this is the ONLY area that has one on this scale. Even the National Level Appleseed folks (except me) are pretty impressed. Me, I already knew the deal anyways, got impressed years ago.

I don't recommend doing this just because you don't like the weather that day.

Folks, if you're not sure weather wise, then just pay the extra $5-$10 to register on-site.

I can tell you this;

Its gonna be C-O-L-D. There will be a good amount of frozen snow on the ground. The snow wont be soft unless it snows a couple of days before this event. Expect it to be at least nice & crunchy, possibly iced over.

Again; dress warmly and in layers.

Back
Top Bottom