• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Athol, MA Appleseed Feb 7th & 8th

Yes, that is a great idea. We have a tradition in Appleseed--if you have a great idea, you get to run with it. So please attend the BOD meeting this Tuesday, Dec. 9th, and make an Appleseed proposal.

I'm out of town this week, unfortunately. I'd be happy to try to make connections but I'm rather new at PF&GC, so have little impact. I really can't afford to spend any time now trying to coordinate anything, with my wife back in school and a job in Boston. Excuses, excuses - but that's my present circumstances. Finding time to shoot at all is a stretch, but I'm working on making it to the Athol Appleseed and bringing two friends who are on the fence regarding guns. Best I can do is help convert a few to the ranks. Life was simpler when I lived, worked and shot within a ten-mile radius...

OK, we have ranges in the works for NH and Maine. Firewall99 is on top of the NH situation, so I'll leave that for him. Maine, we had a spot way in the Eastern part, but over the weekend, I've got a spot in Durham, ME in the works. A good friend recently moved from VT to there (and is originally from there), and is pretty dedicated to Appleseed.

Right now, we're in the approval process for the VT events. Proctor, Bennington, Jerich and Middlebury for now, and we're looking at maybe Derby, Morrisville and St Albans later, with the possibility of the St Johnsbury area as well.

Well, I had one conservative- leaning former Republican (turned by Bush) ready to go to the Appleseed, but another die-hard liberal friend who shoots was turned off by the "Freedom Fighter" context on the main Appleseed website. We three manage to debate guns, 2ndA and such with tolerance, but neither of them were interested after they got the impression they would be amongst hard-line pro-gun activists pushing them to convert.

I've never been to an Appleseed myself, but explained that 99% is learning how to shoot. I might yet get them to an Appleseed, but tell me - was I right about minimal prosyltizing? Don't get me wrong here... I'm a staunch 2ndA supporter, but am not big on any hard-sell lecturing of captive audiences myself.

In an effort to find some middle ground, I looked for shooting instruction that wasn't strongly "partisan" to get their feet wet. While Boys Scouts, YMCA and 4-H offer rifle marksmanship training for kids, I find it interesting that there don't seem to be such options for adults. There's the US military, of course, but we're all too old to enlist, or even be considered militia by US Code. [smile]

They would be told the story of April 19th, 1775. No black helicopters. No call to arms, but there is a call to pens and cell phones. It's more like 90:10 than 99:1

I would say you probably don't want to bring on-the-fence people out to a weekend in the middle of February. We will be in cold, snow, or mud and won't be much fun unless you're out there specifically to see what part of you or your gear stops working very well in those conditions.

Do bring on-the-fence people to April 19th Appleseeds. Patriot's day weekend. Should be a national holiday. Lots of appleseeds (makes one closer to you). Probably nicer weather. And it's more of a celebration than a grind.

Sorry to hear they got that impression, but I can assure you, they are totally wrong on the program.

That is, unless they consider actually writing to our reps is wrong, writing to our local papers is wrong, and actually VOTING is some radical method of "violent overthrow" of the US Government.

We are actually about as polar opposite of radicalism as it gets. We certainly don't advocate "violent overthrow" of the government.

Peaceful overthrow, by the means of the ballot box (elections), and electing good politicians that know what the Constitution states, we certainly are for, as any good American should be. Plus, that's even legal, and encouraged.

Now, I'd love to hear what they consider so offensive. Maybe it's something that looks different than intended, maybe it's something they fail to understand.

And, know that there are some people that have mentioned our name with things that we clearly are NOT. A recent podcast mentioned some things about us that are clearly not true.

RWVA is NOT a bunch of right wing nutjobs. Never has been, never will be. If it becomes such, I'll be gone from the program in a microsecond, and they all know that.

Please talk to them, and let me know the outcome. If they wish to actually speak to someone "in charge" with the program, let me know. I think you'll find I certainly qualify in that regard. I'd love to put there minds at ease with any thoughts of radicalism oin the program.

And, they're welcome to come to any Appleseed where I will be. Considering that I'm military, and a Federal employee, it should be pretty clear I'm not an "anti-government radical".

I'll speak for our local (New England and New York) RWVA Instructors, and certify there isn't a "right wing nut job" in the bunch. If there was, they wouldn't be in the program long.

Last edited:
No problem. Make sure to have spare batteries for it. One that's under 4 MOA is best, but a 4 MOA red dot, turned down some is also good.

Scopes are OK, too.

Now, so you know, I use irons, scopes and even red dots myself.

Quick noob question: Do you only shoot iron sights? What about 1x red-dots?

Ivan, it's usually iron sights or a low power scope (4x ??). You're trying to shoot 4 MOA and most cheap red dots dots are bigger than that. If I remember I'll bring you some targets to the bullseye match tomorrow.

-Mike

Edit: It looks like Nickle says they are OK. I haven't heard much about their use in Appleseed though.

Last edited:
They aren't much, if at all. I've got one now, after my employer decided to issue us Aimpoint CompM2's (going to CompM4's in January). I figured if my "work AR" had a red dot, my personal AR should have a similar setup, so I can get used to it.

I found when you turn it down to just brighter than barely seeable, it's smaller than 4 MOA, for all practical purposes.

So, after I shoot an AQT with it, I'll let folks know how good it works.

neither of them were interested after they got the impression they would be amongst hard-line pro-gun activists pushing them to convert.

I can't comment on the "hard line" talk but I will say this: As was mentioned, this will be in the middle of February and is not just a half hour class. I suspect only real die hards will get the best bang for their buck under these circumstances.

I would bring them to one of our casual shoots before I would bring them to an appleseed in the middle of winter.

I will likely meet up with these fellows weekend of the Feb Appleseed for a hike up Monadanock, and will talk about their issues some more. I appreciate the comments back and will definitely be attending a Spring Appleseed myself.

I might be up for this. Trouble is that I do not have a 10/22 rifle - or any other rifle for that matter. Anyone have one for rent?

Also, what time does it start in the morning?

I might be up for this. Trouble is that I do not have a 10/22 rifle - or any other rifle for that matter. Anyone have one for rent?

Also, what time does it start in the morning?

A limited number of loaners will be available, pre-registration strongly recommended if you need to secure a loaner.

Course runs all day, both days starting 8:30 AM Sat, 10:00 AM Sun.

This morning I found out my wife doesn't work on February 8th. I was hoping I could attend both days and not just Saturday and my wish came true!

I just signed up for both days!!!

Next up, ordered my swivels a week or so ago, now I have to receive them and get them installed.

This morning I found out my wife doesn't work on February 8th. I was hoping I could attend both days and not just Saturday and my wish came true!

I just signed up for both days!!!
We have SEVENTEEN lunatics who want to go shoot in the snow next month. Y'all are insane... and I'm as crazy as you, since I'll be the Shoot Boss - I'll be there in the cold right there with you.

Add my name to the list of those eagerly awaiting an NH Appleseed.
Varchar2, we don't currently have a range in NH to host a shoot - we're working on it, though. However, we have multiple shoots scheduled for Maine, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts. We have had people drive TWELVE HOURS to get to an Appleseed Shoot in the past, and we have instructors who drive even farther than that to get to a shoot to teach. Why are you waiting for one to come to YOU? We'll be having more than a dozen shoots here in New England this year - don't let a state border keep you from coming.

Where would we be if the Acton Minutemen said that it was too far to march to Concord on April 19th, 1775? Hint: you'd be British.

Varchar2, we don't currently have a range in NH to host a shoot - we're working on it, though. However, we have multiple shoots scheduled for Maine, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts. We have had people drive TWELVE HOURS to get to an Appleseed Shoot in the past, and we have instructors who drive even farther than that to get to a shoot to teach. Why are you waiting for one to come to YOU? We'll be having more than a dozen shoots here in New England this year - don't let a state border keep you from coming.

Where would we be if the Acton Minutemen said that it was too far to march to Concord on April 19th, 1775? Hint: you'd be British.

Well put, and thanks for the reply because it clears a few things up for me. Although my modern day cynical response to that would be: good thing it was MA rifles coming into NH and not the other way around (indeed that is my current predicament).

I know you guys are trying to do one in NH (thank you). I was sorta tossing out a feeler for its likelihood while also showing support for one. I'm late getting on board for Athol (just very recently even finding out about Appleseeds) and don't have a rifle that I can take into MA. I am under the impression that if I even seriously consider crossing the MA border with a firearm, one or more babies will die as a result, which I am not at this present state of ignorance willing to do. So I've got a little logistical problem that I will attempt to work out before then. I will meet up with some NESers later this week in Westford and will inquire of them about a possible loaner or rental.

Anyway, at this point, I am so behind the idea of Appleseeds in NH that even if I manage to attend the Athol one, I would also attend an NH one.

We have SEVENTEEN lunatics who want to go shoot in the snow next month. Y'all are insane... and I'm as crazy as you, since I'll be the Shoot Boss - I'll be there in the cold right there with you.

Yikes! I didn't sign up yet because I thought there was no way you'd fill up!

How many more can you take?

Matt

I know you guys are trying to do one in NH (thank you). I was sorta tossing out a feeler for its likelihood while also showing support for one. I'm late getting on board for Athol (just very recently even finding out about Appleseeds) and don't have a rifle that I can take into MA. I am under the impression that if I even seriously consider crossing the MA border with a firearm, one or more babies will die as a result, which I am not at this present state of ignorance willing to do. So I've got a little logistical problem that I will attempt to work out before then. I will meet up with some NESers later this week in Westford and will inquire of them about a possible loaner or rental.

Anyway, at this point, I am so behind the idea of Appleseeds in NH that even if I manage to attend the Athol one, I would also attend an NH one.
Varchar,

You CAN bring rifles into MA - they just have to be a pre-ban configuration. They need to be in a locked case in your trunk. (well... technically, low-capacity don't need to be in a secured case, but better to be safe in case Officer Friendly doesn't know the MA gun laws as well as my lawyer does). Anyway, keep a printout of the flyer with you, as you CAN bring rifles in if you're shooting in a competition.

Failing that... I have one LTR that's spoken for but I have another one with a scope on it that I would be willing to loan out. You just need to bring a box of ammo - it likes the Federal bulk pack from Wally World.

Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like to discuss this more. PM inbound with contact info.

Yikes! I didn't sign up yet because I thought there was no way you'd fill up!

How many more can you take?
Sign up NOW, Matt. We haven't decided on a cap - yet - but we were discussing it. Just because the weather conditions are liable to be severe, we'd like to keep the student:instructor ratio low, so we can keep an eye on folks and make sure that no one is having a bad reaction to the cold.

You CAN bring rifles into MA - they just have to be a pre-ban configuration. They need to be in a locked case in your trunk. (well... technically, low-capacity don't need to be in a secured case, but better to be safe in case Officer Friendly doesn't know the MA gun laws as well as my lawyer does). Anyway, keep a printout of the flyer with you, as you CAN bring rifles in if you're shooting in a competition.

Ross, I know you know the law, but I don't think you stated it very clearly. To be brought into MA, rifles must be pre-ban or be in a ban compliant(referred to as post-ban during the federal AWB) configuration. In other words, when crossing the border, pretend the federal AWB never expired. Also, I don't think it's legal for a non LTC holder to bring a high capacity magazine into MA, pre-ban or not.

Also, non-large-capacity long guns can be brought in for any lawful purpose, no license or competition flyer required.

Okay, make that EIGHTEEN lunatics. I just registered. I guess I needed a little nudge. [wink] Thanks dwarven1.

Failing that... I have one LTR that's spoken for but I have another one with a scope on it that I would be willing to loan out. You just need to bring a box of ammo - it likes the Federal bulk pack from Wally World.

A few questions: can I shoot it without the scope, iron sights only?, and if so, is this recommended? I definitely want to learn to shoot proficiently without optics, but seeing how it's not my practice rifle, does it even matter?

A few questions: can I shoot it without the scope, iron sights only?, and if so, is this recommended? I definitely want to learn to shoot proficiently without optics, but seeing how it's not my practice rifle, does it even matter?

Unfortunately, no - it doesn't have iron sights. Tech-Sights use the rear two scope mounting holes, so I never bothered getting a set of them for this rifle.

Either is good. Some of us Instructors have rifles both ways, and, if you have vision troubles, be smart, and use a scope.

By the way, there's Appleseeds in VT, too.

Bennington

Proctor (near Rutland)

Middlebury

And, about once a year, Jericho (northeast of Burlington).

A couple quick questions for the shoot. I'll be bring my AR that I set up for Highpower shooting. I'm assuming it's OK to use it for an Appleseed shoot. I was going to use the 20 rnd mags I used for Highpower as well. Unless 30 rnders would be better? I was thinking that using 30 rnders prone may not be the easiest thing to do.

Also, I'll be the first to admit that I haven't done any prolonged shooting with my ARs in weather that will potentially be this cold. Has anyone experience trouble with their ARs in this type of weather? Does anyone have any tips for keeping an AR functioning properly in extreme weather?

Thanks for the advice

The rifle will be fine to use. 20 rounders as well.

Clean it well, leave it DRY, no lube, other than a possible really thin coat of CLP (Breakfree), just enough to keep it from rusting, then wipe that off. Do that at least a week prior to the Appleseed, so it has time to dry.

Back
Top Bottom