• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Auburn Sportsmans Club

I have mixed feelings about asc. It's close but that's about it. As people have mentioned the politics there are brutal. There is definitely a clique there. Also the rifle and pistol ranges are pretty shabby and the rules are really restrictive. The ranges are frequently closed for events on the weekends.

It's more of a hunters club than a shooters club. There are some nice people but I have run into some tools there-mostly guys with lifetime memberships who think they own the place. I also think way too much emphasis is placed on the club house and kitchen. For me that's not important. Actually I prefer no bad as I think most people join the place for social call rather than shooting.

I understand a clubhouse is fun but I did not join for the barroom. I joined to shoot. For the $90 a year it's just not worth it to me. I can pay $150 and go to another club with indoor ranges, better outside ranges, and tactical shooting events. If I want a basic range then I will go to norwootuck for way less $$. Maybe it's me but the place is really a social club. I just want a place to shoot. I don't know what the dues are used for but definitely not for the ranges. I have been to much better ranges and I know my dues were used to upgrade and maintain. Asc I am not so sure.

Not trying the bash the place but just being honest. When my membership expires I will be looking to move on.

Meeting this coming Monday.

Auburn Sportman's Club

Reply here if you are interested or want to check it out, that way we can coordinate if there are more than one.

I have mixed feelings about asc. It's close but that's about it. As people have mentioned the politics there are brutal. There is definitely a clique there. Also the rifle and pistol ranges are pretty shabby and the rules are really restrictive. The ranges are frequently closed for events on the weekends.

It's more of a hunters club than a shooters club. There are some nice people but I have run into some tools there-mostly guys with lifetime memberships who think they own the place. I also think way too much emphasis is placed on the club house and kitchen. For me that's not important. Actually I prefer no bad as I think most people join the place for social call rather than shooting.

I understand a clubhouse is fun but I did not join for the barroom. I joined to shoot. For the $90 a year it's just not worth it to me. I can pay $150 and go to another club with indoor ranges, better outside ranges, and tactical shooting events. If I want a basic range then I will go to norwootuck for way less $$. Maybe it's me but the place is really a social club. I just want a place to shoot. I don't know what the dues are used for but definitely not for the ranges. I have been to much better ranges and I know my dues were used to upgrade and maintain. Asc I am not so sure.

Not trying the bash the place but just being honest. When my membership expires I will be looking to move on.

It is your typical club. It is a SPORTSMAN'S club. It is about hunting, fishing, shooting, archery, horseshoes, and more. So far, I've only shot there, fished with my boy, and did archery with 2 kids and their cousin (all members). What is wrong with weekend events? There is hunter ed, archery events, black powder events, Women On Target, First Shots, etc. These are all GREAT events to be doing. A lot of the guys there can be kind of intense, I'll give you that. I am with you, in that I have been there over 5 years, and they've spent endless money on kitchen equipment, tractor fixing, and other things, but not a cent on the ranges. I am told that will be changing. We'll see, but I'm optimistic. Please come to the club this next meeting, and make your concerns known. PM me if you want, and I will try to get you on the agenda.

Hitting the range in about 15 minutes, if anyone wants to go and check the club out, or just meet to shoot targets and the breeze.

Reminder about Monday night's meeting. Let me know if you want a sponsor.

Auburn Sportman's Club

Reply here if you are interested or want to check it out, that way we can coordinate if there are more than one.

It is your typical club. It is a SPORTSMAN'S club. It is about hunting, fishing, shooting, archery, horseshoes, and more. So far, I've only shot there, fished with my boy, and did archery with 2 kids and their cousin (all members). What is wrong with weekend events? There is hunter ed, archery events, black powder events, Women On Target, First Shots, etc. These are all GREAT events to be doing. A lot of the guys there can be kind of intense, I'll give you that. I am with you, in that I have been there over 5 years, and they've spent endless money on kitchen equipment, tractor fixing, and other things, but not a cent on the ranges. I am told that will be changing. We'll see, but I'm optimistic. Please come to the club this next meeting, and make your concerns known. PM me if you want, and I will try to get you on the agenda.

God dammit I missed this next time shoot me a pm. If it's on the weekend if I can escape I'll go.

I used to be a member of this club.
Would sure like to resign up again as I let my membership lapse many years ago.
I have a good friend that has been a member for many years.

Anyone gonna be around the club this week or next weekend willing to give a quick tour? I'd like to check things out and hopefully join at the next meeting.

meeting tonight

Mid-Month ASC Event/Range Closure Reminder: July 2014

07/19: Women in the Outdoors

07/20: On-site 2015 ASC membership renewals (12p-3pm)

07/21: Monthly ASC Meeting (7pm - all members welcome)

07/22: July Handgun Pin Shoot - practice session (5:30pm)

07/26: July Handgun Pin Shoot - actual shoot (9am - 1pm)

08/03: Archery 3-D Safari Championship shoot.

**Tickets for the chicken dinner at the 2014 ASC Family Day event are
available in the lounge at the ASC clubhouse. $10 donation = 1 ticket

Range Closure(s):

Saturday 07/19/2014 - Trap, rifle and pistol ranges are closed for the Women in the Outdoors event.
Ranges will open for normal operation on Sunday 07/20/2014.

Sunday 08/03/2014 - Trap, rifle and pistol ranges are closed for the 3-D archery event.
Ranges will open for normal operation on Monday 08/04/2014.

Auburn Sportman's Club

So I don't know why I have to put the condition of the ranges on the meeting agenda. Just took a couple of trips shooting and try hanging targets. The ranges are a mess. Then I walk into the new clubhouse with all the bells and whistles. Money talks. I have been at asc for about three years and keep hearing ranges will be improved. Pretty bad when I have to bring my own target stands.

As for all the weekend events, I get it. But does the whole place have to shut down? I have driven to auburn at least twice and the ranges were closed. Nothing in newsletter. But for me I am getting tired of paying dues to a barroom. That sentiment has been echoed by a few other ex-members. If I want to drink i will go to a bar. If I want to shoot I will go to the range.

Last edited:
So I don't know why I have to put the condition of the ranges on the meeting agenda. Just took a couple of trips shooting and try hanging targets. The ranges are a mess. Then I walk into the new clubhouse with all the bells and whistles. Money talks. I have been at asc for about three years and keep hearing ranges will be improved. Pretty bad when I have to bring my own target stands.

As for all the weekend events, I get it. But does the whole place have to shut down? I have driven to auburn at least twice and the ranges were closed. Nothing in newsletter. But for me I am getting tired of paying dues to a barroom. That sentiment has been echoed by a few other ex-members. If I want to drink i will go to a bar. If I want to shoot I will go to the range.

They recently cleaned up the ranges, but haven't overhauled them. I was chewed out a meeting or two ago for mentioning it. New clubhouse? We talking about the same place? Actually, you are not allowed to bring any target stands to the range, and paper only, no ground targets. The whole place does not shut down, but when there are events at the ranges, the ranges close to other activities. Let me know some weekend if you want to go to the range, and I'll go with you so you can show me what you mean.

New clubhouse-yup. The one they just spent thousands of dollars on new kitchen equipment. Various other renovations as well. So as compared to the abysmal ranges i would classify that as new. Again it shows priorities which is the barroom. So you got chewed out for mentioning the poor state of the ranges? Why? Because some money might be siphoned to the ranges?

As for target stands, I was told by several members you could bring them if they were against the berm. When you consider the ghetto wire system that you have to jury rig on the pistol range that make you targets flap like flags in the wind it makes sense. Yes you are right when there are events the ranges shut down not the barroom.

I would also like to mention that with the whole gun control bill mayhem, I sent at least three seperate emails to the club leadership asking for an email blast to the membership. Not only did that not happen but I never even got a reply. I only saw it in the newsletter after the fact. That's unacceptable.

At the end of the day, auburn sportsmens club falls short in my opinion. Perhaps the current setup works for people there and they are happy, but my opinion is different. I know the answer will be, well volunteer and make it better. I think that if you see a serious improvement plan for the ranges with dues allocated i will.but lets face it, with the dues and barroom, trap, archery, and all kinds of other events fees there should be some funds for at least basic improvememnts.

Last edited:
No to the target stands. You must use the ones there, only. I also sent emails and spoke with club officers about mailing members. They did one or two, but did not want to do many more.

Thanks for your opinion. I will pass that on. You still have me lost on the clubhouse and kitchen stuff though, and I have been at the meetings. Have you?

That same mentality about no target stands but no range improvements is exaclty why I am looking to join another club and steering people away from Auburn. Does anyone from the board even go to the ranges? Have you tried shooting with the wind with that ghetto wiring system? Do I seriously have to go to a meeting to tell people their ranges are in a sad state of repair when for years we have been hearing they will be upgraded? As I said, want me to be involved and volunteer, ALLOCATE funds for range work. I have paid for trap, 3D archery, archery league, bar room-where are the funds going? I dont see it. Yet I go to Braintree, Hopkinton, Singletary, Sturbridge-yes more money and these places are so far ahead of Auburn in terms of facilities and priorities.

As has been said in other posts, the club may work for some but not for me. I dont care about the barroom and clubhouse. Personally I would like to see the place closed and only opened for special events. Want a regular waterhole, go to a local bar. As another poter mentioned, I have been to trap and at least twice the person running it closed trap early because she had to open the bar. Seriously?

Its pretty telling that right under the Auburn Sportsmens Sign is an nice big banner advertisement for Budweiser. For me, range dues should be used for range maintenance and improvements. Want a bar open and a kitchen-then it should support itself. Not subsidize itself with dues. Cant support itself-close. Turn the place into an indoor shooting range-I would be happy even to double my dues if that was to happen. I have been to a few meetings and thats where I heard about the kitchen improvements.

Are you serious about the email blast to the membership about the recent gun control efforts? Send one or two-? What one email to one or two people? This was never sent out. They did not want to do any more? What is this??? You have a duty to the membership to ensure they know whats going on with anything that could affect their activities at the club-inlcuding changes to gun laws that could exactly do that.

Cant be bothered to write a ten minute email and send it to the member email list? Sorry to inconvience them with preserving gun rights and the recent bs. Does the club seriously think the antis like the Unitarian Church, Rosenthals group and so on arent using their networks to energize their membership? And a few emails are too much? All they would have to do is cut and paste them from GOAL and send them out.

Did not want to do more? I personally donate to NRA, Comm 2A, and Goal. Have called and emailed all of my reps, DeLeos Office, Committe Members, a bunch of other stuff and even voluterring for pro-gun candidates in the fall. So an email is too much? Speaks volumes about the place.

Last edited:
Meeting this coming Monday. Anyone up for a range "NES get-together", followed by some food/drink this weekend?

Meeting tonight at 7:00. Come join. Members, come voice your concerns. Sit in on a handful of meetings, and join the board next time around. I believe there were unfilled seats. Most seats were uncontested.

Meeting tonight at 7:00. Come join. Members, come voice your concerns. Sit in on a handful of meetings, and join the board next time around. I believe there were unfilled seats. Most seats were uncontested.

Are they gonna talk about the old ranges and plans not to fix them again next year?

Are you a member? Have you spoken up at any meeting on this? The answer is no, because I've been looking for others to chime in and help out.

Actually I am a member. And I went to a few meetings and guess what-never mentioned. If someone has to go to a club and mention the deplorable conditions of the ranges then either people don't care or money is being used for other items. Of course that packed barroom and Budweiser/yuengling signs in front of the club indicate priorities. It seems that more than a few nes members figured it out and went to a shooting club versus the auburn sportsmens club tavern. I am one of them now. I'll spend my money in places that care about shooting and my second amendment rights.

I missed this months meeting. A good friend went to speak for the both of us. Snow situation at the ranges are terrible and after the meeting was pretty much told they will not improve.

On other news, money was approved for a new snow blower for the bar.

I was thinking about getting back to trap shooting. Since no lead shot is used at the trap field, I was wondering what size/weight combination of steel shot is typically used. Also, is ammo available at the shoots and for how much? Thanks.

I missed this months meeting. A good friend went to speak for the both of us. Snow situation at the ranges are terrible and after the meeting was pretty much told they will not improve.

On other news, money was approved for a new snow blower for the bar.

I missed this one too. Want to help? I am not positive, but I think there were unfilled openings on the board. Members can step up and ask the committees or officers if they want to help or contribute assistance to the club.

I know it is frustrating, when they are buying air conditioners, TV's, pool table stuff, etc, but the ranges are barely kept up. I mentioned this, and they mentioned they redid the target stands. We need more people on the board who think like you if we are going to see change.

I was thinking about getting back to trap shooting. Since no lead shot is used at the trap field, I was wondering what size/weight combination of steel shot is typically used. Also, is ammo available at the shoots and for how much? Thanks.

I believe it is either 7 or 8 steel. Normally, they provide ammo, but they have had trouble finding ammo, so have been asking members to bring their own.

Auction/fleamarket tomorrow. Probably a good chance to check out the club with lots of members around. Mention NES on application.
Meeting Monday night at 7:00.

Back
Top Bottom