Auto weapons stolen

I agree with SKS we should not be held responsible for crooks breaking into our homes. As I understand it in mASS it is still Breaking and Entering even if you had no front door at all. Security aside a BG just "breaking" the threshold of your house is commiting a crime and we need to punish these people (if ever caught) not the victim homeowner.

Locking up and securing your home and the stuff in it should be done for personal reasons, not to avoid prosecution.

There have been some great comments, and a bunch of things I want to respond to, but I don't have the time. Just one clarifying comment:

I may have been misunderstood in my use of the word "responsible." I am NOT suggesting that this guy is legally responsible for his guns being stolen, or that he should be prosecuted or held liable for what happened (unless the details of the investigation reveal something blatantly negligent, which I doubt). I’m sorry if that’s what some of you guys thought I was saying.

What I'm suggesting is that you can’t just lock your front door and assume that you’ve done your part in securing your belongings, and it’s the responsibility of the law/police/state/insurance company/lock manufacturer to ensure that your guns and other possessions are secure.

I recently had a satellite radio stolen from my car. The car was parked in my driveway, the radio was sitting in a cradle on the dash, I forgot to lock the doors, and I left it there overnight. I came out the next morning and the door was open and my radio was gone. In my mind, who’s responsible for that radio being stolen? Me. I was the dumb ass who left the radio sitting on the dash in an unlocked car.

In a perfect world, I should be able to leave my car unlocked in my own driveway without worrying about my radio getting ripped off. I should be able to rely on the law, the police, and basic human morality to protect my belongings. But this isn’t a perfect world, and I need to be in tune with that reality and protect myself accordingly.

If I had locked my car door, I doubt my radio would have been stolen. And I’d venture to say that if the gun owner in this article had invested a couple grand in a quality safe and a decent alarm system, his M60 and UZI wouldn’t have been stolen either. Hopefully he has good insurance, so that he can at least be made whole again, financially speaking. But he’s probably not getting his guns back. And if he does, his M60 is unlikely to return in the “mint condition” it was in before it was stolen. It really suck, and I feel bad for the guy, but I don’t have much sympathy for people who don’t help themselves.

But again, I’m in no way suggesting the guy should be prosecuted because his guns were stolen.

I came out the next morning and the door was open and my radio was gone. In my mind, who’s responsible for that radio being stolen? Me.

NO ! You own something and if it's stolen, it's NOT YOUR FAULT ! Its the crook's fault. You need to change your mindset. you need to get off the self guilt trip. If you mind your own business and someone does something to you, IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT !

If you had locked the door, you'd have a broken window for your efforts.

There have been some great comments, and a bunch of things I want to respond to, but I don't have the time. Just one clarifying comment:

I may have been misunderstood in my use of the word "responsible." I am NOT suggesting that this guy is legally responsible for his guns being stolen, or that he should be prosecuted or held liable for what happened (unless the details of the investigation reveal something blatantly negligent, which I doubt). I’m sorry if that’s what some of you guys thought I was saying.

Ok, that does clear a lot of it up.

What I'm suggesting is that you can’t just lock your front door and assume
that you’ve done your part in securing your belongings, and it’s the responsibility of the law/police/state/insurance company/lock manufacturer to ensure that your guns and other possessions are secure.

I recently had a satellite radio stolen from my car. The car was parked in my driveway, the radio was sitting in a cradle on the dash, I forgot to lock the doors, and I left it there overnight. I came out the next morning and the door was open and my radio was gone. In my mind, who’s responsible for that radio being stolen? Me. I was the dumb ass who left the radio sitting on the dash in an unlocked car.

Well, you may have made it easier, but as Pilgrim says, it's still not your
fault.

I had a similar thing happen to me a number of years ago. I was moving
stuff out of my car into the office in the back of a friend's store, and it
was late at night. I had forgotten all about the door to my car being
open. The two laptops and the tools I had in the back of my car were
gone, stolen. I did blame myself for leaving the door open but I also
felt victimized. Was I stupid? Yes.... I felt like shit about the whole
thing. but the bottom line is, whoever stole those things is the thief and the true blame ultimately rests with them. That doesn't change the
fact that my belongings are gone and I could have easily averted the
problem.

In a perfect world, I should be able to leave my car unlocked in my own driveway without worrying about my radio getting ripped off. I should be able to rely on the law, the police, and basic human morality to protect my belongings. But this isn’t a perfect world, and I need to be in tune with that reality and protect myself accordingly.

Generally I will agree with that.

If I had locked my car door, I doubt my radio would have been stolen.

Maybe, or as pilgrim said, broken window.. ? Not having a lock
does make it an order of magnitude easier.

And I’d venture to say that if the gun owner in this article had invested a couple grand in a quality safe and a decent alarm system, his M60 and UZI wouldn’t have been stolen either.

I can agree with that.... Personally I would have that as a minimum if
I had an MG... but I don't speak for everyone and others circumstances
may be different.

Hopefully he has good insurance, so that he can at least be made whole again, financially speaking. But he’s probably not getting his guns back. And if he does, his M60 is unlikely to return in the “mint condition” it was in before it was stolen. It really suck, and I feel bad for the guy, but I don’t have much sympathy for people who don’t help themselves.

The only consolation prize is that maybe he will be more careful
next time about storing his guns. Often times one does not get
galvanized about security until you've been a victim.

-Mike

NO ! You own something and if it's stolen, it's NOT YOUR FAULT ! Its the crook's fault. You need to change your mindset. you need to get off the self guilt trip. If you mind your own business and someone does something to you, IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT !

If you had locked the door, you'd have a broken window for your efforts.

Not to speak for him, but I think LLW is now mainly talking about "risk aversion" or "risk management" as opposed to strictly placing blame. I agree that the theft was not the owner's fault... but it is possible he -could- have mitigated the possibility of theft by taking a few extra precautions. Is it sad that he has to? Yes. The problem is in practical terms, shit happens...

And of course with all parties involved we're all playing MMQB here... because
we have no idea of the size of the safe or whatnot involved, etc... we're
just assuming the worst.

-Mike

I do believe that NFA arms DO have some Federal storage requirements, but I don't know what those are offhand.

No, there are none...

What I find worse about this whole thing is the owners/thieft victim's comments seem like they come more from the brady bunch than one of our fellow gun owners.

Shameless plug for the http://www.hansonshoot.com

Now I feel the need to clarify my position, I don't feel he should be held legally liable for anything of his that was stolen. Yes, the thieves are wrong for breaking into his house (that one is kinda hard to argue with). IMHO However in our constant fight to keep what should be a no-brainer right in this rapidly deteriorating increasingly communist shithole we live in, it is our responsibility as gun owners to not give the antigun scum yet another reason to want to persecute us, for that I for one will hold him liable. Lets not provide the enemy with the ammunition they need to destroy us.

Back
Top Bottom