Backup Firearm?

Gents,

My brother in law will be graduating from the Lowell Police Academy in the next few months and i want to buy him a backup gun for a graduation present, I am not an LEO so i was hoping you guys (gals) might have some suggestions of what to get him, i was thinking a S&W 340pd or something along those lines??

Thanks in advance for you help!

Gents,

My brother in law will be graduating from the Lowell Police Academy in the next few months and i want to buy him a backup gun for a graduation present, I am not an LEO so i was hoping you guys (gals) might have some suggestions of what to get him, i was thinking a S&W 340pd or something along those lines??

Thanks in advance for you help!

A J frame is an excellent backup. The airweight or the scandium models are probably best for weight. I hear the scandiums are hard on the hands for shooting... but YMMV.

I carried a 940 for years, in a variety of holsters. I own a 442 now. [grin]

I would try and find out what he will be issued. If say a glock full frame the I would take him to a shop and let him get a compact that will take the same magizine so he would have the ability to keep going if he should run out of rounds in the back-up, but still have mag's on his duty belt

What a great thing to do for your brother in law!

I'm with Jaxon on this - Smith & Wesson J-frame with a hammer shroud or in a hammerless model. At least .38 +P.

Awesome guys thanks for the info, anything more would be greatly appreciated; I appreciate the straight answers instead of the "make sure" posts.

The 340 is lightest, but I prefer the 442 or 642 Smith & Wesson J frames, or an Airweight Bodyguard.

If he's willing to carry something heavier, the Model 60 or Model 640, both in .357 are great guns that will get the job done.

I would take him with you shopping. Choosing a gun is a very personal thing. While it might be nice to surprise him, you'll do better by him if you let him pick what's best to his hand and carry method.

A small Glock to back up a big Glock, both taking the same magazines is a great idea too.

I believe in carrying a back up that is compatible with the primary ammo. I also believe in carrying a deep back up that is a last resort.

First back up would depend on the primary. Last resort would be a J frame.

Department policy could determine whether a back up can be carried or not so make sure he will not be in violation.

A good quality spring assisted (NOT AUTO) knife is an excellent back up also.

Although CrossX stated what I would consider a poor location for the back up, the firearm is a good choice if Glock of the same caliber is the primary.

Your idea is very thoughtful. I think a better choice would be to determine how much you want to spend, and give him a gift certificate for Four Seasons for a firearm of his choice.

Buying a gun for someone is similar to buying them underwear. Personal tastes vary.

Great stuff from everyone thanks! I see how advantageous it would be to have a backup be compatible with primary mags/ammo, i know they allow a backup which is why i am going this route, although i must be honest i also love buying guns and i know whatever i get him i will be able to shoot whenever i want!

I was toying with the idea of getting a gift cert to a gun shop and one to Galls too.

Thanks everyone for their help ill let you know what I get!

A good quality spring assisted (NOT AUTO) knife is an excellent back up also.
\

i may be wrong but I think a LEO can have 1

I know I can get 1 having an EMT cert through a very well know source for gear I just need to send a copy of my cert and I know that it could only be carried while working

Like I said I'm not sure but I bet someone here will be able to shine a light on it

\

i may be wrong but I think a LEO can have 1

I know I can get 1 having an EMT cert through a very well know source for gear I just need to send a copy of my cert and I know that it could only be carried while working

Like I said I'm not sure but I bet someone here will be able to shine a light on it

You can not carry auto knife as an EMT even if they sell you one.

LEO Can only carry an Auto knife in MA if issued or authorized.

That said, I have several and my Benchmade 670 Apparition is better than my Benchmade auto or my Masters of defense auto thus the recommendation for a spring assisted knife.

A 340 PD makes a great back up weapon. Several Officers on my agency carry them in that role.

Check with his agency, mine restricts a bug's caliber. No .45's here. I carry a S&W 340pd with a green front hi-viz sight, loaded w/.38+p's.

On my 340 PD I swapped the stock front sight and added an XS tritium Big dot sight. I also added a pair of CTC lasergrips to it :
P6060278.jpg

The main question is does his policy allow a BUG???? If not, a J-frame is a great off-duty weapon, especially in this heat. I carry a 442 in summertime...

Back
Top Bottom