• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barnstable public range opinions...

Looks like I won't be able to get into a club anytime soon and am considering the Barnstable range.

Any feedback on the place? Does it get crowded etc...

Thanks.

Crowded? Most often not, except for gorgeous Saturdays and Sundays. It's a bit sparse (beat up targets and holders) now and then, not overly well taken care of but adequate.

Barnstabe Range

I like the range down off exit 5. I drive there from Boston rather than join a club around here. You can have a good shoot without people breathing down your neck. $50/yr gets you a key to the gate, skeet shooting, rifle and pistol ranges. Usually isn't too packed, especially on off hours. Ive trained there with guys from my company also. Plenty of space. Hope that helps.

It can get a little busy on weekends but if you can go on a week day there is hardly anyone there. Its not the nicest range but it has everything you need, its cheap and no one bothers you.

The range is in very good shape. A volunteer cleanup took place last Sunday. All target frames look to be new.

Have you also considered joining the Bass River R&G ? Drop me a PM for more info.

I go there quite a bit. It can get busy on a nice weekend but if you are patient you can get your shooting in. Normally it is uncrowded. Although it is not monitored by any type of RO's people tend to obey the safety rules pretty well. I have only felt unsafe there once (old man kept painting me while trying to clear a jammed round... I ended up leaving after I pointed out the fact that he kept pointing his gun at me while it was loaded and he got belligerent about it). For $65.00 a year it is a good deal (I think it is $50.00 for residents and $65.00 for non-residents). I have a low tolerance for range Nazi's so I prefer a place like this.

The flip side to the range nazis is there are not old men sweeping you with loaded guns trying to clear a jam either. You are definatly taking your life in your hands at times shooting there. In general public ranges do not attract the safest gun handlers. Go shoot there on rainy days to limit the number of retards on the line with you.

Thanks for the input. I ended up joining and have a decent number of rounds down range. For the price it's decent.

Soxfan9: they have a 25yd pistol range, Rifle range with 50 and 100yd, and a shotgun range.

I had to leave the Barnstable range early today because I felt so unsafe. Guys were sweeping us on both ranges. One guy was hanging a target with a loaded 1911 in his hand. Another guy loaded his gun on the firing line while his buddy was shooting directly in front of him in the middle of the range. They just kept walking out into the range while we were about to shoot. Most dangerous gun handling I've ever seen.

You guys have pretty much summed up my experiences there too. Sometimes there are sketchy people there, but I have met some nice people too. Being so cheap, it's bound to attract some dummies, but for the most part, I like it and would recommend it.

If you can only go on weekends, go EARLY, usually pretty empty until mid-day when people start to trickle in.

I had to leave the Barnstable range early today because I felt so unsafe. Guys were sweeping us on both ranges. One guy was hanging a target with a loaded 1911 in his hand. Another guy loaded his gun on the firing line while his buddy was shooting directly in front of him in the middle of the range. They just kept walking out into the range while we were about to shoot. Most dangerous gun handling I've ever seen.

I have left there twice after witnessing unsafe practices. However, I do like the place. Most of the people are safety conscience and pleasant. You definately get what you pay for........

I've shot there several times over the last year. I heard that weekends can be crowded and less safe so I always go during the and week (usually early). I've found that communicating with the other shooters helps everyone be safe. Announce your intentions and ask thay do the same. Most people are very nice and eager to coperate.

Hi,

Just applied for my license 3 weeks ago so it will be a while. I am interested in a range to pistol shoot and develope my skill. Not so interested in a social club.
I live in Cotuit and it seems like it will work fine. Can someone tell me just where it is?

Tom

I go to this range from time to time and was wondering what is proper etiquette? There are people constantly moving from the firing line to halfway down range. Most of the time people are loading their firearms behind you ... so what's the norm? I usually just shoot my rifle because there doesn't seem to be any guidance when it comes to the pistol range.

I go to this range from time to time and was wondering what is proper etiquette? There are people constantly moving from the firing line to halfway down range. Most of the time people are loading their firearms behind you ... so what's the norm? I usually just shoot my rifle because there doesn't seem to be any guidance when it comes to the pistol range.

Usually my buddies and I will just communicate with the other shooters about where we want to be shooting from and make a shooting line halfway down the range, or wherever. I will load my mags at the bench but I won't insert a mag or chamber a round until I am back down to the agreed upon shooting line.

Then I keep my head up, eyes open, and turn up the mics on my Howard Leights to be sure I know what's going on around me, haha.

Most of the people that shoot there are safe...

Anyone with half a brain would not handle loaded pistols with people downrange, nor walk uprange without calling a cease fire. It has nothing to do with etiquette, but rather common sense and basic firearms safety knowledge.

As for etiquette, it's shitty for these people to think they can constantly hold up the 50 ft firing line because they feel like shooting from 15 ft.

Avoid this place.

Usually my buddies and I will just communicate with the other shooters about where we want to be shooting from and make a shooting line halfway down the range, or wherever. I will load my mags at the bench but I won't insert a mag or chamber a round until I am back down to the agreed upon shooting line.

Then I keep my head up, eyes open, and turn up the mics on my Howard Leights to be sure I know what's going on around me, haha.

Most of the people that shoot there are safe...

This. I usually try to communicate as much as possible with other people at the line. I will load mags at the bench but never insert a loaded mag with people in front of the line. They have painted this warning all over the benches....

Thanks for the replies, I follow the common sense guidelines as posted above. I find some people have a tendency to communicate better than others. There isn't a whole lot on this site about Bass River R&G, I live less than a mile away from that club. I was going to head down and check it out.

Anyone with half a brain would not handle loaded pistols with people downrange, nor walk uprange without calling a cease fire. It has nothing to do with etiquette, but rather common sense and basic firearms safety knowledge.

As for etiquette, it's shitty for these people to think they can constantly hold up the 50 ft firing line because they feel like shooting from 15 ft.

Avoid this place.

I was there today. People shooting from 15 ft. while those at the bench were handling their guns and loading mags. While watching this go on, I mentioned to my friend that somebody's going to get hurt. After watching for 10 minutes, I had a bad feeling about what was going on and reached down to get my range bag and BOOM!!! a guy maybe 6ft. from me accidentally discharged his firearm into the ground about 4 ft from me. How he didn't hit the people standing next to him, I'll never know. They were lucky. I count myself lucky as well, as I was only peppered by sand. Oh, and by the way, when this happened, a woman was actively shooting at 15 feet. After he apologized, I firmly, but politely told him that he could now leave the range. Well he and his friends stayed, as did another family. I left. I value my life. There was no way I was going to stick around that group.

I was considering this place as an alternative or until I could save up the $375 to join Plymouth R&G but now I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere near that place.

Chris

I was considering this place as an alternative or until I could save up the $375 to join Plymouth R&G but now I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere near that place.

Chris

Closest you can get to combat without actually going overseas........[laugh]

I actually just picked up my 2012 permit today. I just try to avoid weekends when it gets too crowded (and unsafe at times).

I have been to the Barnstable town range many times. It cost $50 for a resident and a bit more for non. Get your key and pass (good for a year) on the corner of Phinnys Lane and Route 132 at the Conservation dept. building. The range itself is right off of Route 149 and Route 6 (the service road).I see alot of bad press (or posts) about this range, but I have never had a problem. Generaly the folks down there are very safe and considerate.
I suppose the occasional knucklehead shows up, as some of these posters have witnessed, but in my experience it has been an outstanding place to put lead downrange without the nonsense of belonging to a club. I have never felt uncomfortable or concerned for my safety there.

I ran into the (in)famous brass collector for the first time on the 2nd. He was digging through the garbage when I arrived to use the pistol range. I was the only one on the pistol side, with a couple of people on the rifle range.

I was shooting from 15-20' and went back to the line to reload my mags. As I'm refilling, the guy just starts wandering down range to pick up more brass, without saying a word to me. Whatever. I walk down to the spot I was shooting from (pistol was in a holster, unloaded, with the mags in my hand), and tell the guy "I'm going to start shooting again". He just kind of shrugs and mumbles "ok". Since he was still about 10' behind and to my left I went ahead. So I go back to reload again and he walks to where I just was and starts picking up more brass. At this point I just packed up and left, because I don't want to be the one to shoot this moron.

Other than that, I've been about 5 times and haven't had any other problems, but I go right at opening time on weekdays.

Last edited:

This is pretty much the experience I've had there. Not a fan so much. I second the notion of joining Bass River. My dad belongs there. Great Club.

I went shooting there 2 weeks ago with The Angry Pilgrim and the Brass Rat (elderly guy that grabs your brass while you are shooting) was bothering the crap out of me. I don't reload, but he just interferes rudely while you are shooting. Other than that, it's a nice range and I had a great time.

Ive read the Brass Rat stories... the Angry Pilgrim though... do tell.

Tell the brass rat to piss off and im sure he'll go away.

Back
Top Bottom