Bass Pro, Foxboro

I've got to say, I like Bass Pros as a store. True, if I'm looking for something specific, Four Seasons is a better choice, but, DD loves walking around and looking at the fish and the decoration, and the pub downstairs is good for a bite. We've bought a couple of guns from there, long guns. Some of the guys know what they're doing, others don't. Like any store, you learn who to talk to and who not to. They've got an okay selection of ammo and accessories, it's nice to see them getting into reloading, but, their prices are still higher than Dillon. All in all, it's not a bad place to go. I definitely prefer it to some of the smaller stores closer to me.

I've got to say, I like Bass Pros as a store. True, if I'm looking for something specific, Four Seasons is a better choice, but, DD loves walking around and looking at the fish and the decoration, and the pub downstairs is good for a bite. We've bought a couple of guns from there, long guns. Some of the guys know what they're doing, others don't. Like any store, you learn who to talk to and who not to. They've got an okay selection of ammo and accessories, it's nice to see them getting into reloading, but, their prices are still higher than Dillon. All in all, it's not a bad place to go. I definitely prefer it to some of the smaller stores closer to me.

Did you happen to see if they had a Hornady press there?

The store is great fun place to spend sometime. But the rifles and pistols are high in price and the ammo cost is so, so. Your better off when they have a sale on it! They will have sales on ammo when no one is buying it seeing the cost is marked so high. Same with the rifles and pistols.

But then again a store like that you get a lot of first time gun shoppers that don't know any better and pay the price. I know when I was in there a guy was looking for a 30-06 for hunting. He really didn't seem to know much and the guy trying to help him really didn't seem to know much either. I waited till the guy was done and told him to take a trip to fourseasons and ask for carl. I told him about a used 30-06 I just seen listed for about 300 less then what he was looking like there. Bass pro is listed as a Howa dealer which I did happen to see a howa 1500 there once. But they don't have varmit/target/tactical rifles in stock which I think is a mistake. Seeing if anyone takes a trip to Reading MA there is a nice 600 yd range to shoot on and you can't group great with a light hunting rifle.

Was at Bass Pro tonight looking for a few things and was going to buy two pricey accessories but walked out because the guy that was helping me was a total deusche. He essentially refused to answer questions by ignoring them until repeated or prodded, and was unhelpful and unfriendly. Also, the firearms are ridiculously priced, and they had no ammo in stock. And, to top it off, their little snack shop was closed and I was looking forward to a pretzel or something.[angry2]

I was in BassPro this evening and asked someone in management about reloading supplies/tools.

The answer was that they didn't have the room for a fully stocked reloading supply area and made a business decision to ship all the supplies/tools back to Corporate and not carry any reloading supplies/tools in Foxboro.

One exception (of sorts) is that they do have Pyrodex and other non-black powder substitutes and ammo supplies for black powder in the aisle where the black powder long guns are located.

I give Bass pro another 8 months, then they will phase out firearms in foxboro
I have not been back since they first opened and had a price match deal on firearms. Price match from leading competitors. They had a list of their competitors.....Cabela's, Gander mountain, Sportsman whare house. I showed the gent a print out of a FS guns email deal, he said "where is this place" @ the time FS(fourseasons) had a great sale on the ruger MKIII's

BPS

Bought a 686 SW revolver from them a year ago September. Fair price and10% off (opening Bass Pro Card) and the guy was knowledgable. Generally the prices are the same as Cabelas especially with catalog / internet.

They have a hard time keeping .380, .40 and .357 in stock however. The white Winchester and Remington rounds are competitive in price.
I'd give 'em a B+ over all for selection, price and service.

What nights does C-pher work? I never seem to meet up with him.

C-pher hasn't worked at BP in a very long time.

This evening there was only 1 person at the gun counter, a new face to me and two people at the archery counter (one I've known for a number of years).

Today was my first trek to Bass Pro, quite the drive but I can assure you all I'll be returning. What an amazing store, I was like a kid in a candy store. I'm a huge Kittery trading post person, but this felt even bigger/better!

Bass Pro v Cabellas

By comparison, Cabellas down in CT is better IMO. For the most part its a 6 and 1 comparison, but I get all the circulars from both stores emailed to me and Cabellas sales are bigger, the Cabellas circulars are usually bigger and seem to provide greater savings by comparison. Cabellas circulars also have more adds for their hunting/shooting products. The biggest difference is the selection of guns and ammo. The difference in state restrictions explains the gun selection, but their ammo selection is huge by comparison. I was in Cabellas on the 7th, and Bass pro the 8th, Cabellas had a variety of defensive and FMJ 40 and 9mm ammo and Bass pro's selection was a few different options for 40 defensive and even less 9mm, I didn't find any range ammo for either calibers. Being a Mass resident I wish this dynamic were reversed but alas it isn't so.[thinking]

I just bought my first handgun a few weeks ago (all the others where free in the Army...kicker was that other people were going to be shooting at me)...I had a great experience for my first firearm purchase there. I wish I could remember the gentlemans name who helped me out, he was patient, knowledgeable and overall a pleasure to do business with...made me very comfortable in making a purchase....would go back to do business there, as long as the help remains the same as my first experience....Now I have a brand new Walther P99!

I've gone to BassPro since day 1 for fishing stuff. I went to Cabelas (CT) a few weeks ago for some ammo and a red dot sight. I was impressed. Went to BassPro again a week ago for some ammo. They had virtually NO 9mm. I have to say, for gun stuff it's Cabelas and for fishing it's BassPro. Cabelas has a huge selection of ammo, tons of accessories and a zillion guns (not all of which I can own being from MA but a lot more than I saw on the shelves at BassPro). The shelves at BassPro were depleted and disorganized and Cabelas was the opposite. I won't go to BassPro again for gun related purchases. 'Nuff said.
My 2 cents.

Went to Bass Pro today. Not much ammo as usual. I did buy a rifle though. They matched the price of Cabelas. The original price was wayyy too high. The guys behind the counter are pretty cool too.

I can't wait to get back here. I'm like a kid in a candy store when in the fishing section. I want one of everything. I can survive with just one of the many boats though, don't need one of each.

I went to the BassPro down in Foxboro yesterday, father in law wanted to go to the boat show so I tagged along, figured while I was there I would check out the ammo case, I ended up spending $90 on ammo. They had 600 rounds of Winchester .40 S&W FMJ target/range 100 round value packs. I bought 3 boxes out of the 6 so I wouldnt have to worry about hunting it down for awhile...Seems like its a wild chase to hunt down a good value pack box of .40s (that are worth a $h!t)...so I scouffed em up...go get the 3 boxes left before they run out guys!

I just bought my first handgun a few weeks ago (all the others where free in the Army...kicker was that other people were going to be shooting at me)...I had a great experience for my first firearm purchase there. I wish I could remember the gentlemans name who helped me out, he was patient, knowledgeable and overall a pleasure to do business with...made me very comfortable in making a purchase....would go back to do business there, as long as the help remains the same as my first experience....Now I have a brand new Walther P99!

if you don't mind...
How much for the P99?

AS, or QA? trigger

I ended up paying $730 for the P99AS .40...price is $809.99, but I got $70 off for signing up for a BassPro Card. I like the AS Trigger, good smooth shooting handgun. No regrets, have about 600 rounds thru it now, not a single issue to speak of....except I cant seem to keep enough ammo around!

Not sure if anyone will read this because this post hasn't gotten any attention in awhile. I was a bass pro yesterday the guys behind the counter where nice guys but some seemed to be not either A. knowledgeable or B. trying to make a sale. One kid was looking to buy a rifle to ultimately deer hunt with and the guy was kinda pointing him in the right direction I.E. bolt action lower priced 308. The problem was I specifically heard the kid say I am going to be hunting in zone 11 which to my knowledge there isn't any rifle hunting (besides coy dog) besides western mass. So to me the gentleman should have informed him in the liberal states of Massachusetts you can't rifle hunt how about a nice shotgun. And the other was a women looking for a personal defense pistol her first and probly only gun she said. The gentleman behind the counter (a different one from before) said the walther P22 was perfect because it had little recoil and ammo was cheap to shoot the range. Now while that is all fact a .38 special revolver is not that expensive and given you can get good a defensive round for it seems like a better choice. Then when I told the gentleman that I had just picked up the new pk380 just as a suggestion he said they "where not legal in mass" they had actually been for weeks now. I didn't give him any attitude but just informed him that they where and I picked one up at another shop to which he replied "well jus because they sell things at that place doesn't mean it is legal". Not saying to not go there but just for people new to the gun world please just research things or ask on the forums I just don't like seeing new people to guns getting bad info or just not the best info. Thanks for reading I am new to the forums love em.

"well jus because they sell things at that place doesn't mean it is legal".
Kind of ironic hearing this from Bass Pro, given the Glock fiasco :)

I would have replied "Since it is not a crime to buy a gun not a list, or acceptable to the AG, that's all the more reason for consumers to buy them from that other shop while they are available".

Kind of ironic hearing this from Bass Pro, given the Glock fiasco :).

BP's illegal sale of Glocks was the least of it - at least Glocks are on the AFR, giving BP the (disingenuous) excuse that the sale appeared to be legal.

BP also sold Springfields, which have never been on the AFR. Moreover, BP was informed of the illegality of its actions and sold the guns anyway.

Moreover, BP was informed of the illegality of its actions and sold the guns anyway.

Yup - either "I'm not at a high enough pay grade to think" or a "I'm the gun professional and you are not" arrogance from the Bass Pro person who was informed.

Fortunately, the shooting community had Northeast Traders to protect us all from this unfair and deceptive trade practice.

Back
Top Bottom