battle belts?

He didn't claim to know. He's spot on, IMO.

That's your opinion.

I know Mark. I have the utmost respect for him.
He doesn't know everybody here, I don't know everybody here, you don't know everybody here.

Don't cast aspersions.

People are looking for advice here, not a lecture. IOW Offer advise to the topic or stfu.

I see the day ladies are deep into the fashion issues. Middle school never ends, apparently.

These setups are essential if you do any shooting and moving while carrying both a handgun and a rifle (e.g., you are taking a carbine/pistol class) and you expect to be running through several mags before you get a chance to top off. You can go with a basic pistol belt setup (pistol, mags) and a chest rig for rifle mags. But, lots of us have found out that having a belt setup for both makes things much easier and gets the load off of your chest, improving mobility.

I like the VTAC belt. It allows you to weave the inner belt (here is a good one) in and out to allow for both belt mounted and MOLLE attachment. Then you decide how you want to carry your pistol (great choice), rifle mags (I like these), pistol mags (lots of options), and anything else you want. If you plan to be moving and shooting around other people, a basic med kit might be a good idea -- your call. Definitely consider a pouch on the back of the belt for empty mags, etc. (very handy).

Now if you have such a setup and plan to use it in a course, you might want to practice first. Keep in mind that said day ladies might not approve. You shouldn't care.

First legitimate reply right here.

A bunch of douchbagery before and after.

Read the thread.

I disagree here. I am not talking survival, I am talking hostile situation here. Where do you learn ambush tactics, building entry and clearing, fire discipline, shooting from a vehicle, progression in hostile territory, and more? From the Internet? Action movies? Military channel? To properly train, you need a proper instructor, and guys who have been there and done that have a tendency to catch your attention when it comes to teaching people. As an EMT, you have most usefull skills and would be welcome on pretty much any team anyway, even without combat training.
how many times do you train for a specific situation, within a team? How do you know where your guys are, which area they cover, where your actual flank is? Who is in charge? These are things you won' learn by playing commando in the woods with a few drinking buddies, every third Saturday of a month. You learn them by repetition, over and over, maybe 10, maybe 30 times in a row. Topography? Hiking is good, but do you do it at night as well? How about in the snow, or bad weather? See, there is a reason why most people, me included, think that not even a soldier is really combat ready after boot camp. It takes time, and competent people to give you direction and supervision. You don' have to take MY word for it, you can ask others who have been to the jungle or the sandbox.

You're the pro you should be giving advice.

You're the pro you should be giving advice.
"used to be" doesn't count. As for advice: I paid for my training with 6 years of my life. I wouldn't give it out for free. This is America, where a healthy mercenary mentality will go a long way.

anything SHTF stays in the closet. I tend to shoot in street clothes.

my wife thinks BDUs are retarded and I don't want to hear her complain, so I don't have those either.

BDUs are a whole different animal. Plenty of pockets, and rip stop.
Remember the rule "live off of what's in your ruck, fight with what's in your rig, survive with what's in your pockets". I personally like the M65 jacket, because of the removable liner. It doesn't have to be multicam. OD green is just fine.

I have em in black. I should clarify, no more camo. Just aint my thing.

BDUs are a whole different animal. Plenty of pockets, and rip stop.
Remember the rule "live off of what's in your ruck, fight with what's in your rig, survive with what's in your pockets". I personally like the M65 jacket, because of the removable liner. It doesn't have to be multicam. OD green is just fine.

Sooner or later somebody's gonna come up with "tactical suspenders" made out of kevlar with titanium attachments and connect them to a battle belt and we'll have gone full circle back to 782 web gear. [laugh]

Here's my setup
Brokos belt with a viking tactics belt
Serpa leg holster for Beretta 92fs
Medical kit (with sutures, chest needle, Israeli bandages, scissors, tourniquet, etc.)
3 Single stack 9mm
2 AR pouches (fits two 30 round mags each)
Cold Steel Knife
Suspenders (dam belt just won't stay put when in use after a while)
2ag1zbp.jpg

I'm constantly moving shit around, adding, removing things. It's a work in progress. This is from a few months ago. I haven't messed with it since but plan to soon.

Last edited:
Here's my setup
Brokos belt with a viking tactics belt
Serpa leg holster for Beretta 92fs
Medical kit (with sutures, chest needle, Israeli bandages, scissors, tourniquet, etc.)
3 Single stack 9mm
2 AR pouches (fits two 30 round mags each)
Cold Steel Knife
Suspenders (dam belt just won't stay put when in use after a while)
2ag1zbp.jpg

I'm constantly moving shit around, adding, removing things. It's a work in progress. This is from a few months ago. I haven't messed with it since but plan to soon.

do you like the mags with the flap pouch or are those just temporary?

i changed my kit up a bit recently, ditched the tactical tailor fight light belt and went with an HSGI suregrip, the neoprene makes the belt stick to you so well and it has 3 molle webs which i prefer to the TT 2 webs. The fight light belt is still an excellent choice.

ill post pics later

Personally I only run flap pouches. In the off chance you're going to use it as an offensive platform or are hunkered down, just remove mags, tuck flap into pouch, re-insert mags.

If you have quality pouches, even an AR double pouch will securely retain a single mag without a flap in 90% of circumstances.

I thought about that. I carry mine at 1030 and kind of rest my arm on it. Can you reach it on back if you are alone?

I missed this question before. No you can't reach it where I have it. If I'm injured that badly I'm going to drop the armor anyway because the shear weight is going to greatly exacerbate a grave wound. Otherwise you're hopefully with buddies carrying similar kit and they grab yours to address wounds.

Basically I'm either not injured badly enough to need it quickly giving me time to retreat and access it when safe, or so injured that the armor has become a negative more than a positive.

My IFAK is one of those things I own that I really, really never want to need to open. I'm not in the military, so dressing wounds in the middle of an engagement is not something even remotely on my list of critical functions.

Last edited:
do you like the mags with the flap pouch or are those just temporary?

I almost bought one retention mag holder to try out, and I still might, but I think the flap pouches are a bit more secure and don't have angles to catch on stuff.

I almost bought one retention mag holder to try out, and I still might, but I think the flap pouches are a bit more secure and don't have angles to catch on stuff.

Stay away from ITW fast mag pistol pouches. Garbage

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

So I just dug through an old box of stuff that has been in the attic for 20 years. Dating myself here. but my old " WEB belt" shrank. I mean like 10" shrank. Still have some mag pouches, Ka-Bar and a USMC cantine that has not held water since 10 years before the new millenium. Jeebus... when did I get old?

I guess it is time to do some shopping! My WEB belt fit my 12 year old son just like it fit me 25 years ago I guess I never really though about it, but what good is having 20 --30 round mags if you have no way to carry them. I will just have to have my wife follow me around during the zombie apocalypse and hand me mags out of her purse

Stay away from ITW fast mag pistol pouches. Garbage

Interesting. I have a rifle Fast Mag pouch on my vest for work and I love that thing. I'd been thinking about getting a couple of the pistol ones as well to replace the Condor double mag pouch I'm currently using. I suppose I'll just keep using the Condor for now.

Interesting. I have a rifle Fast Mag pouch on my vest for work and I love that thing. I'd been thinking about getting a couple of the pistol ones as well to replace the Condor double mag pouch I'm currently using. I suppose I'll just keep using the Condor for now.

Go for Hsgi pistol tacos. Much faster and will fit multiple flavors of mags.

Go for Hsgi pistol tacos. Much faster and will fit multiple flavors of mags.

i run the ITW rifle fastmags on my belt and TT taco style ones on my plate carrier, i think if i could do it again i would get the USGI tacos all around because they will fit AK and M14 mags as well as AR.

i run the ITW rifle fastmags on my belt and TT taco style ones on my plate carrier, i think if i could do it again i would get the USGI tacos all around because they will fit AK and M14 mags as well as AR.

I actually really love itw rifle mags on my belt, not a fan on plate carrier. I run a high ground with kywi inserts in my kangaroo pouch on PC. I like to run as snag free as possible

While we're having this conversation about pouches... What do you girls use for 10 and 20 rounders? I can't find squat.

While we're having this conversation about pouches... What do you girls use for 10 and 20 rounders? I can't find squat.

The Fast Mag is much shorter than a regular rifle pouch, so it fits a 20 round mag just fine. You can also just carry them in a shoulder bag or a clutch if you want to be more formal.

Back
Top Bottom