Best rifle for around $600?

mtsfitness

NES Member
Looking to finally get into rifles... I have an unexpected $600+ coming my way in the near future and I'm looking to get a rifle, probably an AR.

What are people's opinions? I know the m&p sport has a good following but ive found other options our there such as a DPMS AR for around the same price...

Any suggestions are welcomed. I've considered building one but I'm concerned about it not being reliable. If I were to buy someone else's built AR, what should I be looking for (posting and negatives).

Thanks

I was in the same category and went with a Mossberg MVP in .308. The rifle itself has had its ups and downs and it takes AR mags. It shoots very well and very smooth. The sport is nice though, at times I wonder if I should have bought one but Im currently building my first AR and itll come in similarly priced but a nicer rifle.

Heres my thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...earching-for-a-rifle-*updated-with-pics-6-23*

Last edited:
$600 can get you a zastava Ak. They are excellent.

Where ?

Not being a wise guy, but if there is a shop you know that you trust, give them some free vibes.

pix808596788.jpg

They are Good-Looking.

But you'll never get that MAGAZINE in Mass ! Dam.

Last edited:
I'm in Peabody, MA...

You need to go to Northeast Arms (in Peabody) and say "what can you give me for $600". That place is like a candy store for rifles.

- - - Updated - - -

Those rifles are all over the internet, and those mags are all over MA.

There's 4 of those pre-ban AK mags in the classifieds.

You need to go to Northeast Arms (in Peabody) and say "what can you give me for $600". That place is like a candy store for rifles.

- - - Updated - - -

There's 4 of those pre-ban AK mags in the classifieds.

NE Arms - Fun Place to shop !

Not sure if you can get pre-ban mags there, though.

I "think" Mass ran an attempted sting there recently. It failed, but whoever it was ("NE Arms ?") vowed not to sell pre-ban anymore.

Like I said, not sure it was them.

When you've got the Government threatening your livelihood and freedom, it does not pay to fight them over an item you probably make squat on.

What is your intended usage? A DPMS, Palmetto State armory rifle kit with a locally purchases lower. An AK of various varieties. For bolt guns savage makes some take drivers for well under 600 leaving room for an optic. I recently purchase a Mark II FV-SR in 22lr with a 4-14 FFP scope from primary arms for just under 600 and it is a blast to shoot and cheap on the ammo. It is also a great way to build your skills

go over to The Armory in Woburn and get yourself one of the unissued Yugo SKS they have in the crates there for $450 and you'll have plenty left over for ammo! I was just there today checking them out and they are absolutely mint with gorgeous wood and a nice light coating of grease to keep them preserved.

go over to The Armory in Woburn and get yourself one of the unissued Yugo SKS they have in the crates there for $450 and you'll have plenty left over for ammo! I was just there today checking them out and they are absolutely mint with gorgeous wood and a nice light coating of grease to keep them preserved.

Aww sheet. This is the opportunity, though.

And the European Yugo is the one I'd like - the Red Chinese one just sours me. Sorry.

I'll bet they come with all accessories, too ?

Come on, rub it in. It's ok. I'll stop crying eventually.

[crying]

SKS-M59-66Gweb_1.jpg

Last edited:
Why would anyone spend 450 on an sks when you can build an ar for 500? Heck if you want you can find AKS for around 500 in a private sale

Why would anyone spend $1000 on an empty revolver box (this has happened on eBay, recently).

It has to do with what Collectors want. Not utility.

Yeah, it can't be explained, rationally.

Old SKS's are just cool.

If you don't think so, that's ok. I don't think I can explain it.

Why would anyone spend 450 on an sks when you can build an ar for 500? Heck if you want you can find AKS for around 500 in a private sale

some prefer wood and steel over plastic, and the fact that it was an actual military rifle not just a look alike.

Aww sheet. This is the opportunity, though.

And the European Yugo is the one I'd like - the Red Chinese one just sours me. Sorry.

I'll bet they come with all accessories, too ?

yeah it looked like they did. The crates had slings, oilers, ammo pouches, cleaning kits in them. I assume they were included.

Where ?

Not being a wise guy, but if there is a shop you know that you trust, give them some free vibes.

pix808596788.jpg

They are Good-Looking.

But you'll never get that MAGAZINE in Mass ! Dam.

Not sure about MA. I live in ME and buy online, shipped to my local FFL.
They do sell MA compliant ones with different stocks and single stack mag wells for low capacity.

But yeah, the OP was looking for something modern, reliable, fun to shoot, and maybe a WARRANTY ?

So an SKS is probably not it.

But think about it ?

350 would be pushing it for an sks IMHO, I have owned them and I do not find them to be a 450 rifle but that is me. I think I sold mine for 250 with a taco stock included 3 years ago if they have jumped that much in price I would expect to see psa ARS selling for 750 all day

well the typical examples are 350ish. I think that's what I paid for my used one which is also a 59/66. But these are unissued and literally look like they just came out of the factory. And the price includes the shipping & transfer fee. Like I said, I have one already and I have a hard time not grabbing one of these they're so nice.

Looking to finally get into rifles... I have an unexpected $600+ coming my way in the near future and I'm looking to get a rifle, probably an AR.

What are people's opinions? I know the m&p sport has a good following but ive found other options our there such as a DPMS AR for around the same price...

Any suggestions are welcomed. I've considered building one but I'm concerned about it not being reliable. If I were to buy someone else's built AR, what should I be looking for (posting and negatives).

Thanks

If you are not confident in putting parts together on a AR and having it function DO NOT buy someone else's put together parts gun.
Want a nice rifle?
Get your C&R license as fast as you can and buy a Swiss K31 and the balance in ammo. Absolutely great rifle.
600$ budget For AR. Any of the entry level name brand guns will do.
By a sport, put a good A2 rear sight on it. A usgi web sling or nice service rifle sling.
3k rounds of ammo. Shoot it until you get nice consistent groups. Then decide if you like rifles or not.
If you do and want to up grade dump the sport for 500$ and move on.

Cuz milsurpyness is a twilight zone that cannot be explained. At least with milsurps some of the value is predicated upon relative scarcity and so on and isn't entirely effluvial fluff, like it is with a lot of other collectible guns.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom