Best rifle for around $600?

Cuz milsurpyness is a twilight zone that cannot be explained. At least with milsurps some of the value is predicated upon relative scarcity and so on and isn't entirely effluvial fluff, like it is with a lot of other collectible guns.

-Mike

This, and really if you look at a sks , ask yourself how much would that thing cost if made today.?
For 350$ in the milsurp area K31 all day. Super nice 2 stage trigger ,accurate, easy to reload for ammo is cheap and very good .....at least at the moment.

Cuz milsurpyness is a twilight zone that cannot be explained. At least with milsurps some of the value is predicated upon relative scarcity and so on and isn't entirely effluvial fluff, like it is with a lot of other collectible guns.

-Mike

Like Mike said (I think).

A modern rifle will get you there more reliably than an SKS.

They're not called CURIOS & RELICS for nothing.

Like Mike said (I think).

A modern rifle will get you there more reliably than an SKS.

They're not called CURIOS & RELICS for nothing.

The sks is very reliable....at least mine have been......I put thousands of rounds through mine as kid/young adult. Very little up keep. Did not get a real cleaning for years and always worked.
Only time it was actually detailed cleaned was after shooting 800 rounds of non corrosive ammo, which it was not.
It how ever is not the most accurate rifle and the cartridge is a,little lacking also.
223 is a accurate round if you use decent ammo out of most rifles.

OP, I get the sense you want a AR.
If your budget is 600$ for the rifle go buy any one of the 600$ ARs out there. They will do everything your capable of doing.
DO NOT go and try to build a AR for less than 600$ you will end up with a cheap AR for the most part.
Assembling one yourself affords the process to find good deals on higher quality parts and assemble your AR to you needs and save some money.
My current "varmint " AR would have cost me about 1600$+ if I bought it out right.

Last edited:
The sks is very reliable....at least mine have been......I put thousands of rounds through mine as kid/young adult. Very little up keep. Did not get a real cleaning for years and always worked.
Only time it was actually detailed cleaned was after shooting 800 rounds of non corrosive ammo, which it was not.
It how ever is not the most accurate rifle and the cartridge is a,little lacking also.
223 is a accurate round if you use decent ammo out of most rifles.

I

You got a good one.

Most are.

But if you don't, don't expect a Warranty.

(I'd buy the SKS if the cash were spare. I just like them.)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm primarily looking to get myself into a AR or maybe an AK... Range/defense rifle for the house and such...

I previously bought a handgun from North East Arms in Peabody, ive also have them installed sights on a few different hand guns. Seems like a great little shop. I should stop in there before I get my $$$ and see what they have to offer. I was looking on their Facebook page and saw a DPMS AR-15 for $600... Other than seeing DPMS mentioned here and there I don't know anything about the quality of their rifles. That particular model that they had advertised did have a dust cover/forward assist which the M&P sport model does not have... Just trying to weigh all my options.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm primarily looking to get myself into a AR or maybe an AK... Range/defense rifle for the house and such...

I previously bought a handgun from North East Arms in Peabody, ive also have them installed sights on a few different hand guns. Seems like a great little shop. I should stop in there before I get my $$$ and see what they have to offer. I was looking on their Facebook page and saw a DPMS AR-15 for $600... Other than seeing DPMS mentioned here and there I don't know anything about the quality of their rifles. That particular model that they had advertised did have a dust cover/forward assist which the M&P sport model does not have... Just trying to weigh all my options.

DPMS....been around long enough. I won't get into what's the best for 600.
As for the forward assist....just consider that Gene Stoners original design that was accepted by the military did not have one....forward assist was a later feature. You can live with out a dust cover.
Many many other rifles do.... bolt actions, M1 garand...to name a few.

At this point you need to at least handle a few 600$ AR 15s and go with the one that you like.

Again thanks for all of the information...

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a Ruger AR 556? I watched a few youtube reviews on it and it seems like a fantastic AR in that $600 range.. .Wondering if anyone owns one or knows where to find one?

Again thanks for all of the information...

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a Ruger AR 556? I watched a few youtube reviews on it and it seems like a fantastic AR in that $600 range.. .Wondering if anyone owns one or knows where to find one?

Stateline in Plaistow had one on their Facebook page. Hard to find in stock. It would need to be made MA compliant. I'm sure Northeast Arms could order one.

Last edited:
NE Arms - Fun Place to shop !

Not sure if you can get pre-ban mags there, though.

I "think" Mass ran an attempted sting there recently. It failed, but whoever it was ("NE Arms ?") vowed not to sell pre-ban anymore.

Like I said, not sure it was them.

When you've got the Government threatening your livelihood and freedom, it does not pay to fight them over an item you probably make squat on.

They had a bunch of pre-ban AR mags in there the last time I dropped by. (Maybe two weeks ago.) I haven't heard of any "sting" and they're 100% above board so even if there was a sting there's nothing to get them stung.

Last edited:
They had a bunch of pre-ban AR mags in there the last time I dropped by. (Maybe two weeks ago.) I haven't heard of any "sting" and they're 100% above board so even if there was a sting there's nothing to get them stung.

He's probably thinking of North Shore Firearms, an entirely different kind of gun store.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I've considered building one but I'm concerned about it not being reliable. If I were to buy someone else's built AR, what should I be looking for (posting and negatives).

Thanks

If I had $600 and wanted an AR I'd build.
Maybe even buy a complete upper and just assemble the lower.
Seriously.

I was in Northeast Arms the other day (great guys and shop, btw) and there were these 2 older gentlemen in there. One had just bought some sort of stock AR and it didn't have a threaded barrel. He was talking about "customizing" it. Wanted to thread the barrel, pin a muzzle break, install a new handguard, switch the stock. We're talking a few hundred dollars of work which just makes the gun THAT much more expensive. That $700 AR just became a $1000 AR and it will function the exact same since you're only upgrading aesthetics.
Build once, make it exactly what you want.
So my vote is for assembling.

This. It's the only rifle you can easily buy for close to $600 that is immediately worth a couple hundred more than you paid for it.

When I looked they seemed really expensive these days.

- - - Updated - - -

If I had $600 and wanted an AR I'd build.
Maybe even buy a complete upper and just assemble the lower.
Seriously.

I was in Northeast Arms the other day (great guys and shop, btw) and there were these 2 older gentlemen in there. One had just bought some sort of stock AR and it didn't have a threaded barrel. He was talking about "customizing" it. Wanted to thread the barrel, pin a muzzle break, install a new handguard, switch the stock. We're talking a few hundred dollars of work which just makes the gun THAT much more expensive. That $700 AR just became a $1000 AR and it will function the exact same since you're only upgrading aesthetics.
Build once, make it exactly what you want.
So my vote is for assembling.

Or if you can't/don't want to build, BCM has a large amount of customization possible on their complete uppers. That's the route I went, but the budget was higher.

- - - Updated - - -

Or if you can't/don't want to build, BCM has a large amount of customization possible on their complete uppers. That's the route I went, but the budget was higher.

Yeah there are plenty of complete uppers out there. Shouldn't be too hard to find one for around $400 that tickles his fancy

- - - Updated - - -

You can get service and field grade m1s through the CMP at reasonable prices. Gun stores are going to be mostly 1000+

CMP Garand

This. It's the only rifle you can easily buy for close to $600 that is immediately worth a couple hundred more than you paid for it.

You can get service and field grade m1s through the CMP at reasonable prices. Gun stores are going to be mostly 1000+

I just looked at CMP's website. Field grade is $630, and it's luck of the draw Springfield or H&R. Delivery time 2-4 weeks. Service grade is $730, same arrangement, delivery time 2-6 months. CMP Special grade is over $1000.

Still worth it, but glad I got my HRA service grade a couple years ago for $600. Anyone who wants a Garand, the supply is finite and prices will only go up.

Yeah, buy a Garand. Then never shoot it because ammo costs so much, but when you do yoyr shoulder asks you why you bought this gun and your wife/GF won't go near the thing.

Garands are nice rifles when you're buying fun toys, not something I'd ever recommend as a first rifle in 2015. I have a beautiful M1A. I'd never suggest anyone buy that gun as a first rifle either.

Get a M&P Sport.

The only reason to build an AR is because you're mechanically inclined and if that were the case I'd assume the OP wouldn't be asking about full built rifles.

Last edited:
Yeah, buy a Garand. Then never shoot it because ammo costs so much, but when you do yoyr shoulder asks you why you bought this gun and your wife/GF won't go near the thing.

Garands are nice rifles when you're buying fun toys, not something I'd ever recommend as a first rifle in 2015. I have a beautiful M1A. I'd never suggest anyone buy that gun as a first rifle either.

Get a M&P Sport.

The only reason to build an AR is because you're mechanically inclined and if that were the case I'd assume the OP wouldn't be asking about full built rifles.

Yeah, agree with this. I was just commenting on the price of a Garand.

Personally, if I had no ARs and was just buying one... I'd probably look at a Windham Weaponry. I really like that the guy basically came out of retirement, started a "new" company, and rehired the people who worked at Bushmaster before Remington moved the company. Everything I hear now is that they have stepped up the quality, too. I've gotten a couple of their BCGs and they look solid, the gas key is properly staked, etc.

That said, a new Windham can't be had for $600. In that price range I'd much rather have the S&W vs something like a Del-Ton or DPMS.

Here is what I came up with.
For example:

1. Upper with handle

https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical...z1aQ.Eis5.AreXPg..A3iSLA.b..l.BStr.n...VaCBNw

$240
$12 for basic charging handle

2. Bolt carrier group $80

http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-m16-complete-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-tested-223-5-56/

3. Complete lower $190

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...wer-magpul-str-edition-black-no-magazine.html

They have complete lowers as cheap as $149.

Total $522

The rest of the money will be spent on MA compliant muzzle device, pin and weld, bringing it up to $600.

You really can't get good optics under $200 - waste of money, IMHO, save your $$$ and use iron sights for now.

Edit: with Palmetto State Armory you can get your AR as low as $442 and it will be at least as good as low end S&W.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

You can get a cmp garand field grade for $630 shipped to your door, service grad for $730 and a like new cmp special with new barrel ,stock and all metal refinishhed for $1030. A bargain there is no reason to buy a M1 anywhere else unless your a collector and find one that's collectable.

Get a M&P Sport.

Come on, garand is a great gun and kids compete with them at camp perry every year. The M1 does not kick very hard. Proper use and proper clothing will go a,long way to recoil management....
Ammo is not that expensive.....60-80 cents per round.
First rifle.....well maybe not BUT it is a great first rifle.....come on you know it is. HOW MANY OF US WISH WE COULD SAY "MY FIRST RIFLE WAS A M1 GARAND"

Last edited:

Wish this was completely true....like to get 200-300 more for my field grade from the cmp.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I came up with.
For example:

1. Upper with handle

https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical...aQ.Eis5.AreXPg..A3iSLA.b..l.BSt r.n...VaCBNw

$240
$12 for basic charging handle

2. Bolt carrier group $80

http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-m16-complete-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-tested-223-5-56/

3. Complete lower $190

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...wer-magpul-str-edition-black-no-magazine.html

They have complete lowers as cheap as $149.

Total $522

The rest of the money will be spent on MA compliant muzzle device, pin and weld, bringing it up to $600.

You really can't get good optics under $200 - waste of money, IMHO, save your $$$ and use iron sights for now.

Edit: with Palmetto State Armory you can get your AR as low as $442 and it will be at least as good as low end S&W.

Will PSA ship a complete lower or rifle to MA?:

Recoil....
16 year old girl can handle it. I bet with out the jacket also.

As for a 442$ PSA vs a 580$ SW sport.....I don't know but I think I would put my money on the SW to be a overall better rifle. Both fit finish and accuracy. That's me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Garand's recoil is really not that bad, as others have noted. And I don't think I've ever met somebody who regretted buying one. That said find a AR in your price range and buy that.

The Garand's recoil is really not that bad, as others have noted. And I don't think I've ever met somebody who regretted buying one. That said find a AR in your price range and buy that.

I have a 20 gauge shotgun that will send you home bruised and sore quicker than any M1.

Come on, garand is a great gun and kids compete with them at camp perry every year. The M1 does not kick very hard. Proper use and proper clothing will go a,long way to recoil management....
Ammo is not that expensive.....60-80 cents per round.
First rifle.....well maybe not BUT it is a great first rifle.....come on you know it is. HOW MANY OF US WISH WE COULD SAY "MY FIRST RIFLE WAS A M1 GARAND"

That's 2 to 2 2/3 times more expensive than .223. For the same money you can shoot a heck of a lot more with an AR. So long as you're learning from it and not just blasting, that's important especially with a first rifle.

Back
Top Bottom