Best rifle for around $600?

lmao @ Garand recoil then someone suggesting a mosin. I shoot Garands in a t-shirt all the time and the recoil is negligible. An 03 or mosin is a different story though.

Go for the Garand, delivery time lately has been about a week for field and service grades, not 2-6 months.

If someone doesn't want a Garand, then fine, okay. But it is by far the best value going. You'd be hard pressed to get anything close to a Garand in Service Grade condition at a gun shop for less $400-500 more that what you get them for from the CMP.

Plus, I like the face on my liberal friends when I tell them about all the (what are essentially) government-subsidized guns I've bought with the approval of Congress, shipped right to my front door.

If someone doesn't want a Garand, then fine, okay. But it is by far the best value going. You'd be hard pressed to get anything close to a Garand in Service Grade condition at a gun shop for less $400-500 more that what you get them for from the CMP.

Plus, I like the face on my liberal friends when I tell them about all the (what are essentially) government-subsidized guns I've bought with the approval of Congress, shipped right to my front door.

They also get all flustered when they learned that at one point our government was interested in having its citizens ready with basic rifle skills if ever needed.

I bumped into a women today from Ohio...I was wearing my gun club sweat shirt...
She asked where the club was and asked if that's where the normal people are....
Went on about how her co workers got all flustered when she asked about gun license and such. She's been here 3 weeks. Can't believe this is where our independence started....she stated when describing the helpless folks she has met so far. I assured her that we are here , you know normal rational hard working Americans.....dont give up.

I still toss a vote for a M1 only because it's just a very cool first rifle!

Last edited:

i think you just convinced me.

Is it worth it to get a higher grade, or is that mainly for collectors. My primary concern is reliability/durability, not appearance.

Is it worth it to get a higher grade, or is that mainly for collectors. My primary concern is reliability/durability, not appearance.

Right now you have 3 choices from the cmp
Field grade
Service grade
And then the CMP special which is a M1 restored by the cmp.
If your last looking for something special or with more collectability those rifles can be found on the CMP auction
Items like this http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=2491

Here is the current "valuable" M1s cmp is letting out.
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=362&n=M1-Garand

Service grade. Then buy some HXP ammo to shoot.

Shot the m&p sport today, and as luck would have it, a CMP Garand. Both were great shooters and obviously very different. You need both.

Right now you have 3 choices from the cmp
Field grade
Service grade
And then the CMP special which is a M1 restored by the cmp.
If your last looking for something special or with more collectability those rifles can be found on the CMP auction
Items like this http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=2491

Here is the current "valuable" M1s cmp is letting out.
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=362&n=M1-Garand
My vote for a first gun, should you choose to go with the CMP, is a Service Grade provided you can swing the $730 price tag. They tend to be in really nice condition, have good bores, and generally good muzzle and throat erosion numbers. The best combination of history and shootability in my opinion. The field grades, while the lowest grade available, are also nothing to scoff at, especially at their $630 tag.

In addition, don't read the grading criteria and start worrying that you might get a POS. The CMP is absolutely notorious for trying to temper expectations. In any event the customer service is top notch.

As for reliability/durability, they're an nearly 10 pound battle rifle. They don't go down easy. However, you should know that modern commercial .30-06 ammo, particularly ammo exceeding 180 grains, can have gas pressures that are not friendly to the parts of the gas system originally designed during the Great Depression.

But my favorite part of the M1 is the history of the thing. M1 collectors are kinda like a bit of a cult...and I've never seen it explained any better than this:

It's hard to explain, but the second you pick up the M1 Garand, it speaks to you like a conduit to the past. It just feels right. The weight, the dimensions, its controls and features.

You know instantly that it's not a target gun, it's not a hunting gun, it's a battle rifle.

It has a sole purpose. It feels serious.

You can immediately feel how it could give confidence and inspiration to an infantryman.
Everything about it means business. Is there some psychic impression left on an inanimate object? Many would claim yes. I have found that every single person who has ever handled my M1 does the same thing.

They instantly become quiet, taking it in. They lift it up and down a few times, feeling its weight, letting the history sink in. It smells of oil, steel and wood. Usually the first word uttered is "wow". The stock is full of scars and dents. Where has it been? Who used it? Did this rifle sit in some dark dusty armory for the past sixty years? Was it used in parades, for training, or was it used in battle? Was it the only thing keeping a freezing G.I. alive against an advancing enemy in Korea? Was it issued to the first troops on the ground in Vietnam? Nobody knows. They are full of mystery and history.

The second you raise it up to your shoulder, you can feel its power. Its a massive firearm compared to its contemporaries. When you squeeze the trigger, you anticipate considerable recoil, and you are not left disappointed, it is delivered. Its shocking at first, the recoil from the M2 Ball seats the buttstock firmly in your shoulder. After a few rounds, you get a feel for it. After eight rounds, the unmistakeable *ping* as the enbloc clip ejects and hits the ground.

It is an experience that you really can't describe, you just have to do it. Out of the half dozen people that have fired it, they all came away with a greater respect for the men that carried these into combat and lead us to where we are today.

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote for a first gun, should you choose to go with the CMP, is a Service Grade provided you can swing the $730 price tag. They tend to be in really nice condition, have good bores, and generally good muzzle and throat erosion numbers. The best combination of history and shootability in my opinion. The field grades, while the lowest grade available, are also nothing to scoff at, especially at their $630 tag.

In addition, don't read the grading criteria and start worrying that you might get a POS. The CMP is absolutely notorious for trying to temper expectations. In any event the customer service is top notch.

As for reliability/durability, they're an nearly 10 pound battle rifle. They don't go down easy. However, you should know that modern commercial .30-06 ammo, particularly ammo exceeding 180 grains, can have gas pressures that are not friendly to the parts of the gas system originally designed during the Great Depression.

But my favorite part of the M1 is the history of the thing. M1 collectors are kinda like a bit of a cult...and I've never seen it explained any better than this:

That video is funny with the ping stories. I asked my great uncle about this "ping" and if it gave away your position or would let enemies know your where empty.
He said to me...... "after my first firefight I couldn't hear shit until 1952!"

Other things I have grown to like about the M1 is JCG not only designed the weapon e designed all the machinery and the way to assembly them.

Del-ton recommendations? Really? Should combine that with an Ice Arms BCG for a real shooter.

I built a PSA rifle not too long ago for $650. PSA lower from the group buy, CMT LPK, ACG ACT, typical Magpul shit. PSA "premium" upper with MI GG rail. It's been through 3 classes so far with not a hiccup.

Del-ton recommendations? Really? Should combine that with an Ice Arms BCG for a real shooter.

I built a PSA rifle not too long ago for $650. PSA lower from the group buy, CMT LPK, ACG ACT, typical Magpul shit. PSA "premium" upper with MI GG rail. It's been through 3 classes so far with not a hiccup.

Delton can't be any worse than PSA?

Wanted to update my original post. I ended up ordering the Ruger AR556 for $600. I had it narrowed down between that and the Core15, both were the same price but I noticed on Cares Fb page that there was to many negative reviews... not alot but enough to not make me look forward to dealing with any problems.

Thanks for all of your input

Wanted to update my original post. I ended up ordering the Ruger AR556 for $600. I had it narrowed down between that and the Core15, both were the same price but I noticed on Cares Fb page that there was to many negative reviews... not alot but enough to not make me look forward to dealing with any problems.

Thanks for all of your input

Nice! Where'd you end up buying the Ruger?

I'm looking to get my first Garand this winter. If money is less of an issue is it worthwhile watching the auctions for a nice service grade rifle with matching parts?

I'm looking to get my first Garand this winter. If money is less of an issue is it worthwhile watching the auctions for a nice service grade rifle with matching parts?

Garands do not have "matching" parts in a sense.
If your going to collect you might want to buy some books and study up.
You can buy a " correct" grade rifle which would have all the parts correct for that production period.
Then you get into collector grades and so,on.
Here is what appears to be a service grade "correct" rifle. Keep an eye on the Auctions to see what you could expect to pay.
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=2965&n=M1-Garand-SA-6088280
If your looking for a good shooter a standard service grade per mail order will fit the bill.

Garands do not have "matching" parts in a sense.
If your going to collect you might want to buy some books and study up.
You can buy a " correct" grade rifle which would have all the parts correct for that production period.
Then you get into collector grades and so,on.
Here is what appears to be a service grade "correct" rifle. Keep an eye on the Auctions to see what you could expect to pay.
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=2965&n=M1-Garand-SA-6088280
If your looking for a good shooter a standard service grade per mail order will fit the bill.

Thanks. Without "reading books", what would I get buying one of the service grade rifles in auction?

CMP is a great option.
I like savage rifles a lot. Great bang for the buck a variety of rifles for the price with a variety of calibers.

AR's are great but you may end up blowing a lot of money in one. I've done it with each one I've built, over budget by a lot.

its all in what you want out of a long gun

lastly let us know what you get and post pics

Thanks. Without "reading books", what would I get buying one of the service grade rifles in auction?

A service grade cmp has declared they can get more money @ auction. Knowing what your paying more for is the key. You will see Winchester and IHC plus some of the 6mil serial numbered SA. Basically anything the cmp deems more valuable or not enough in inventory to do mail order.
That's why you need to know something about what your buying.
Or just buy one of the cmp mail order offerings.
Field grade $630, service grade $730 or the CMP special in,30-06 or 308 $1030

Here is a current service grade HRA on the auction.
I have no idea why it's currently going for $2800?http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=2941&n=M1-Garand-HRA-5666317
I'm more of a shooting collector. A good representation piece that shoots is enough for me so the $730 service grade will do just fine for me.

Last edited:
A service grade cmp has declared they can get more money @ auction. Knowing what your paying more for is the key. You will see Winchester and IHC plus some of the 6mil serial numbered SA. Basically anything the cmp deems more valuable or not enough in inventory to do mail order.
That's why you need to know something about what your buying.
Or just buy one of the cmp mail order offerings.
Field grade $630, service grade $730 or the CMP special in,30-06 or 308 $1030

Here is a current service grade HRA on the auction.
I have no idea why it's currently going for $2800?http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=2941&n=M1-Garand-HRA-5666317
I'm more of a shooting collector. A good representation piece that shoots is enough for me so the $730 service grade will do just fine for me.

That makes some sense. I didn't know if there was a better quality rifle available through auction or if it was only collector value.

That makes some sense. I didn't know if there was a better quality rifle available through auction or if it was only collector value.

The quality of a service grade is the same be it a general mail order or on cmp auction site. The price difference well just keep a eye on the Auctions some go for much more.

For anyone looking for an AK in the $600 range. Atlantic firearms has converted, made in Russia Saigas on sale at the moment for $629. It is the IZ132L. Fully 922r compliant, accepts standard AK mags, Mass. compliant with fixed stock, no muzzle device, and no bayonet lug. Converted with bullet guide at RWC factory.

Last edited:
Another vendor has Russian made converted saiga a for $579 until October 27. Both 5.45 and 7.62. A converted saiga for that price!!!!!! A year after imports stopped!!!!! There is no reason to buy ANY other AK right now with these on the market.

Ruger Gun Sight Scout Rifle is accurate with iron sights at 100 yards all day long!

The one thing that bothered me about this rifle is,needing a tool to adjust the rear sight.
Heck I would have been happy with 1moa rear sight if they where adjustable like the M1 or AR ?

Back
Top Bottom