Bill filed to Extend LTC & FID Processing Time

It should be indefinite . . . until you obtain your new LTC! That would unwad the panties of the dayladies who worry about running out of grace period and still having guns in their homes.

I met/spoke with Rep. Paul Heroux after the hearing Monday night and he gave me his card. I think I'll suggest that to him and make use of his Email address.
in your message to the honorable gentleman from Bristol,
maybe suggest that he can solve the whole issue by putting forth a bill that makes all ltc's lifetime unless revoked.

problem solved.

maybe suggest that he can solve the whole issue by putting forth a bill that makes all ltc's lifetime unless revoked.

problem solved.

this would work as any sale goes through a background check, so updates come upon purchase

problem solved.

Revoked or surrendered. We don't want guys to be stuck with restricted licenses forever, even if they move to a green town.

problem solved.

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

I'd love to see it, but it'll never happen in MA.

this would work as any sale goes through a background check, so updates come upon purchase

Actually negative info is updated daily and IA notified so they can suspend/revoke allegedly within 24 hrs of "subsequent activity" (appearance in a MA court, maybe issuing of a warrant too).

problem solved.

Yes. That would be a step forward.

Just gotta be careful for people like me, who had a restricted LTC.

len ,sometimes you just swing for the fence, and try to get lucky.[smile]

as obama says: if you are happy with your license, you can keep your license.

Last edited:
I emailed paul at mailto:p[email protected] and asked him to retract his bill and to look into why there is no punishment built into the bill that is currently in place as well as his own.

emailed and said to redact this amendment and represent the people by adding a concrete, enforceable penalty if LE is found not in compliance with this law

Great, so now the local PD/State can sit on your application for 2.5x as long. I'd rather see a penalty levied for not getting the permit back in 40 days and/or some accountability. More kicking the can down the road.

One thing that really pisses me off with the waiting times for LTC renewals is that once your license is expired, most gun shops won't sell you ammo. So here we have some folks waiting 5, 6, 10 months for their renewal and they can't even buy ammo from local MA gun shops during the wait. That is f*cking bullshit.

Paul Heroux spoke to me about this and represented it as a further protection for the gun owner against overly long renewals going over the expiry and grace period. This and his misrepresentation of his grant bill lead me to believe that he is clueless, a statist, a liar or all of the above.

The Bill should correctly read
Renewals of FID and LTCs shall be issued within 40 days unless the applicant is shown to be a federally prohibited person. Failure to issue within 40 days shall result in the forfeiture of one half day pay for the offending Cheif of Police and/or designee for each day of delay in excess of 40 days per delayed applicant. Forfeited pay shall be solely used to fund youth outdoorsmanship programs.

One thing that really pisses me off with the waiting times for LTC renewals is that once your license is expired, most gun shops won't sell you ammo. So here we have some folks waiting 5, 6, 10 months for their renewal and they can't even buy ammo from local MA gun shops during the wait. That is f*cking bullshit.
I missed out on a sweet deal on a revolver during the 100 or so days I waited for my renewal a few months ago.
An FFL refused to sell to me while my license was expired,(and before the grace period had begun) even though the renewal was in progress. I believe this is the biggest reason for the long delays.

A response from Mr. Heroux:

Hi, Ed,

First, back in November, I spoke with Jim Wallace at GOAL about this bill. He did not have a problem with it. Second, the extra days need to be increased because, as my police chief explained to me, he has to take one police officer off the street to process the volume of applications in his department. This was a bill that I filed at the suggestion of the police. They just need more time to process applications. It is not about gun control. This new bill is an administrative issue fix. As to the issue of why not just penalize the police or state if they take longer than 40 days. 40 days was an arbitrary number established back in 1999. Had it been set at 60 days or 90 days back then, we would not be having this conversation. This bill is just to help process the applications with limited resources. A penalty, as some have suggested, would not speed things up. You can’t get blood from a stone. According to my police chief, all it would do is result in more police being taken off the street to process applications.

I would encourage you to have a look at this article below and circulate this among others who question my position on guns; or send around some of the articles I have written in the Huff Post on guns. I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.

http://attleboro.patch.com/groups/p...x-champions-legislation-to-protect-gun-owners

Also, please read some of what I have written about guns here - http://www.paulforattleboro.com/crime-policy.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cordially,
Rep. Paul Heroux
Second Bristol District (Attleboro, less Ward 3B)
Room 236
State House
Boston, MA 02133
617-722-2430 x8475 (Boston office)
508-639-9511 (District office)

So what he's saying is that the police told him it's hard to do their job, so therefore they don't do it? Like it or not, processing applications for new or renewed FID/LTC's is part of their job, and they should allocate sufficient resources to do that job. If they don't want to be doing that job, then they should support the legislation that has been filed to reform or repeal the MA licensing system.

They're talking in circles.

These cities, towns and the state, drag their feet now. How is pushing it out to 90 days going to help them??? Some places it takes 6+ months to get licensed.

How will this help that???

If applications were taking, on average, 75-90 days to get processed then I might buy the argument that they're trying but they just need more time, but they're not. Applications are taking way longer than that for many people.

If applications were taking, on average, 75-90 days to get processed then I might buy the argument that they're trying but they just need more time, but they're not. Applications are taking way longer than that for many people.

It took my wife over 4 months in Worcester, right before we moved. That's 120 days. There are people who post here everyday, who say it has taken them 8 months.

This is just more excuses by the state.

And my response back to him:

Mr. Heroux,

Thank you for the quick response. I do understand the “need” for the increase in the arbitrary number, especially so in the current climate where a record number of applicants for MA LTC’s are being experienced.

My concern is that the law holds no merit for potential licensees and they have no recourse should their application process take longer than 40, 60 or 90 days. Again, I feel it’s just another arbitrary number as no one is held accountable should the process, for whatever reasons, take longer than that arbitrary number. And quite frankly, the only people that suffer are the actual citizens attempting to apply for their license.

For instance, I have a friend, great guy, clean, never been in trouble, he lives in Worcester (A city notorious for taking longer than the law allows and for restricting licenses for no valid reason). He went to turn in his application the first week of February 2013. Upon arriving, he was informed that he cannot turn in his application until he “schedules” a finger printing. His “scheduled” finger print appointment was the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] week of June 2013!!!

He goes in, gets finger printed, and turns in his application with his application fee (1[SUP]st[/SUP] week of June as I said). Here it is, December 18 and he is STILL waiting for his license. Calling the information number only results in his status being read to him as “Still pending”.

Do you think that the licensing process is fair if a law abiding citizen, with no record, is still waiting for his license almost 10 months now??

I’d like to know what your thoughts are on this subject and just how you might propose “fixing” this issue, because I can guarantee you that this is only ONE story and that there are hundreds more like it.

Thank you for your time.

I just got off the phone with Rep. Heroux.

First, let me say that I think Rep. Heroux' intentions are not of any ill will whatsoever. I explained my concerns, using my friend in Worcester as the example, and also that this arbitrary number wouldn't really hold anyone accountable or result in an relief for the citizen applying.

One of the suggestions, by Rep. Heroux himself, was that maybe something along the lines of a partial refund for everyday that the authority goes over the 40 or 90 days.

For example: 40 days, but it takes 80 days = Full refund for applicant.

I will say this. Rep. Heroux seemed completely genuine to me, and he gave me permission to post his email along with his contact info. He is aware of NES and he values any constructive criticism as well as any suggestions going forward.

I know he'll be in here perusing this topic, so I will take this opportunity to thank him once again for the phone call and the discussion.

Also, I mentioned to Rep. Heroux about the concerns regarding GOAL. I also informed him about Comm2A and requested that he look into them as well.

Last edited:
I am having difficulty in figuring out how this helps us.... so it gives the issuing authority more time to pick its ass? how does that help anything? [rofl]

It'd be one thing if it doubled the time but made it a $1000 fine if they failed to issue to a qualified person in that time frame.

-Mike

I just got off the phone with Rep. Heroux.

First, let me say that I think Rep. Heroux' intentions are not of any ill will whatsoever. I explained my concerns, using my friend in Worcester as the example, and also that this arbitrary number wouldn't really hold anyone accountable or result in an relief for the citizen applying.

One of the suggestions, by Rep. Heroux himself, was that maybe something along the lines of a partial refund for everyday that the authority goes over the 40 or 90 days.

For example: 40 days, but it takes 80 days = Full refund for applicant.

I will say this. Rep. Heroux seemed completely genuine to me, and he gave me permission to post his email along with his contact info. He is aware of NES and he values any constructive criticism as well as any suggestions going forward.

I know he'll be in here perusing this topic, so I will take this opportunity to thank him once again for the phone call and the discussion.

Carrot and stick approach? In NH (for resident permits anyway) you don't pay until you get your P&R in hand.

Also, I mentioned to Rep. Heroux about the concerns regarding GOAL. I also informed him about Comm2A and requested that he look into them as well.

Two orgs with two entirely different approaches to restoring our rights here.

I am having difficulty in figuring out how this helps us.... so it gives the issuing authority more time to pick its ass? how does that help anything? [rofl]

It'd be one thing if it doubled the time but made it a $1000 fine if they failed to issue to a qualified person in that time frame.

-Mike

Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Carrot and stick approach? In NH (for resident permits anyway) you don't pay until you get your P&R in hand.

I had to pay in advance.

That'll never happen and you know it. They are not going to penalize, through a fine of sorts, a local LEO or the state.

But, I am actually a little intrigued by his suggestion that a partial refund be applied for everyday it goes over the 40 or 90 day number.

Since $75 of that $100 goes to the state, and the other $25 goes to the town's General Fund (none goes to the PD) the local PD has no financial incentive wrt money involved in the licensing process. It literally cost them money to do this . . . and this was done by the Governor (at the time) and Legislature with no input from citizens or police.

Just putting that out there so people know where the money really goes.

thanks for spelling it out to him eddie.
how would he like to wait 10 months to renew his drivers license? not happening.

having a lifetime license ,or at least the current license is valid upon dropping off new app. till they produce your new one.

and then they can focus their "limited" resources on new ones with a 30 day time limit. or its free.

(I know I am preaching to the choir for the most of you here)

with 260,000 class a permits alone ,thats 26 million dollars and more for a broken system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom