• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a nice setup, Timber. Do those dehydrated meals work fine with cold water? Where do you get them?

If not boiling, add the water atleast a few hours prior. Theyre very tasty and you can get them at any of the big box outdoor stores plus ems/rei, walmart only has coleman ones now I believe.

edit: make sure you remember to remove the dehydration packet [laugh]

Timber's point about terminology is spot-on.

If you have to clear out of the house for a couple or so days (like if you live out west, where wildfires are a concern, that's one thing. Important papers, cash, comfort articles, minor first aid, prescription meds, etc. are what you need - you're going from "here" to "there" (though "there" may be a variable). Wherever you land will still have law and order and supplies and services.

If you're setting up a BOB for a SHTF situation (involving breakdown of essential services) then that's another thing. You are either making up a set of supplies to get to a "safe" location; or to a non-specified away-from-the-herd location. In this case, the addition of more basic stuff (firestarting, for instance) and more complex (cooking) is an issue.

I would think, light, mobile and efficient would be what you want to achieve here.

Some thoughts: lose the water tablets and get a good filter - I use an msr sweetwater; instead of a nalgene bottle add a 2L camelbak and platypus folding 1L bottle - saves space and now you have more water;
<snip>
for fire starting, I carry stormproof matches, a lighter, flint and steel and trioxane, which takes up a lot less space and still achieves the same goal; The only way to find out if your kit works well for you is to field test it. I think it's the best way to find out what works and what is just just making you tired because you're humping around extra stuff. Been there. I've spent a lot of time refining my backpacking kit - adding some things while taking out useless gear, extra redundancy and most of all, weight.

Also... Add bourbon.

I like the Sawyer Squeeze filter. Timber demonstrated its usefulness on a 7-day hike on the AT.

[video=vimeo;25364486]http://vimeo.com/25364486[/video]

I just bought some Vapur Element bottles here because they have a bigger fill port and come with a biner to attach it to anything.

For fire starting, I use a disposable butane lighter. They work when wet (just shake them out) and light thousands of times. Worried about a failure? Carry 2. They're lighter than most metal fire starters.

Need to add bourbon, though. [smile]

i just wanted to add that having a HSLD bag, weapons, and hi speed gadgets is a lot of fun. you get to test them out, going up trails (where people have died) with good friends, taking smoke breaks, picture breaks and doing all the stuff to look cool. -but that's because you can actually haul the gosh darn load.

the moral of the story is: run what you bring. lightweight, 3-day bag, "ruck sack" or whatever... ensure you can hump it. which means the majority should just invest in a tactical fanty pack and some knee pads.

i just wanted to add that having a HSLD bag, weapons, and hi speed gadgets is a lot of fun. you get to test them out, going up trails (where people have died) with good friends, taking smoke breaks, picture breaks and doing all the stuff to look cool. -but that's because you can actually haul the gosh darn load.

Yeah it's probably a good idea to do a couple of months of South Beach and remedial Kegels before filming a ten minute video on a 50+ lb ruck full of shit you know nothing about but looked cool on the internet or in the Army Navy store. And by the way, that isn't my BOB I posted. It's my 12 year old kids' day pack that I went and grabbed out of the garage. Stuff he hand picked with me because he knows how to use it.

I tossed in the pistol and GPS. He can run the gun decently, but he's still working on shooting azimuths, etc., so he hasn't progressed to a GPS yet. He's also hauled that load all over NH, and up one of the hardest trails in the entire Northeast. Hopefully he won't grow up with daddy issues so severe that he feels the need to dress up in a Modern Warfare Halloween costume just to go to work everyday, but only time will tell.

Last edited:
Yeah it's probably a good idea to do a couple of months of South Beach and remedial Kegels before filming a ten minute video on a 50+ lb ruck full of shit you know nothing about but looked cool on the internet or in the Army Navy store. And by the way, that isn't my BOB I posted. It's my 12 year old kids' day pack that I went and grabbed out of the garage. Stuff he hand picked with me because he knows how to use it.

I tossed in the pistol and GPS. He can run the gun decently, but he's still working on shooting azimuths, etc., so he hasn't progressed to a GPS yet. He's also hauled that load all over NH, and up one of the hardest trails in the entire Northeast. Hopefully he won't grow up with daddy issues so severe that he feels the need to dress up in a Modern Warfare Halloween costume just to go to work everyday, but only time will tell.

I'd trust your son bugging out more than 95% of the bug out keyboard ninjas around here...

I'm not a terminology guru. For oh, I don't know - 25 years, I've referred to the pack in my truck as a "get home pack"...My decision to make one didn't come solely from my tinfoil beanie. It came from being legitimately stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing but myself, an emergency road kit, two packs of Camels, a lighter, a one-hitter with some really good Panama Red and a half a cup of coffee. I made it to safety - drenched, shivering and lucky, (happened to wander onto a farm). Couldn't even smoke - my lighter got soaked after the first hour. Since then, I've always had a little something in my car to get me home if I need it. I won't bore you with the details, but it parallels Timber's son's kit more or less. In the winter I add snowshoes and in the summer extra hiking boots. I also am a believer in fire kits. I have spare lighters, but a blastmatch, waterproof matches and some homemade wetfire type tinder. I've also found those topographical map books pretty handy. Other than that, my objective is to get my ass home or to safety - not fight a war or be the coolest mall ninja on the block....

Last edited:
I'd trust your son bugging out more than 95% of the bug out keyboard ninjas around here...

I'm not a terminology guru. For oh, I don't know - 25 years, I've referred to the pack in my truck as a "get home pack"...My decision to make one didn't come solely from my tinfoil beanie. It came from being legitimately stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing but myself, an emergency road kit, two packs of Camels, a lighter, a one-hitter with some really good Panama Red and a half a cup of coffee. I made it to safety - drenched, shivering and lucky, (happened to wander onto a farm). Couldn't even smoke - my lighter got soaked after the first hour. Since then, I've always had a little something in my car to get me home if I need it. I won't bore you with the details, but it parallels Timber's son's kit more or less. In the winter I add snowshoes and in the summer extra hiking boots. I also am a believer in fire kits. I have spare lighters, but a blastmatch, waterproof matches and some homemade wetfire type tinder. I've also found those topographical map books pretty handy. Other than that, my objective is to get my ass home or to safety - not fight a war or be the coolest mall ninja on the block....

My comment on the disposable lighter working when wet was assuming that you had some shelter from it being wet eventually. If you shake it out and blow in the striker area <without more water coming in contact with this area> it will light with some effort (about 10 strikes). If there is no shelter and the lighter stays wet, it will not light. YMMV, Mark. :)

I carry stormproof matches, a lighter, flint and steel and trioxane, which takes up a lot less space and still achieves the same goal

How about a soda can alcohol stove? I've not used trioxane or an esbit stove, but you can't beat the alcohol stove for lightweight and the alcohol has multiple uses. also doesn't smell like I hear trioxane does.

Not sure about the weight to BTU ratio of trioxane vs. alcohol.

I think some redundancy is ok. I carry 3 tools for fire starting because if one fails (runs out of fluid) or gets dropped or lost, you've got a backup. This is pretty light weight stuff, so having a couple options isn't always a bad thing. But a hatchet, machete and saw - that's not good weight to carry. Especially if you need to be moving quickly. Test them all, pick the one that works best and leave the others behind.

+1 on the redundant firemaking comment. bic lighter plus firesteel.

Regarding machetes - I own one but have never actually carried it on a backpacking trip. In what situations of the Northeast would you want to make the machete your choice of these three? My take is (as long as you have a big, fixed-blade knife) I'd want a saw first, if not that then the hatchet, if not that then the machete.

I have an altoid tin with cotton balls and petro jelly , in it is a magnesium bar with built in striker bar. And right next to it is a bic lighter. Some stuff lights better with more fire than a bic produces.

i.e. first apply lighter. If it's not happy fire time I add a few cotton balls of fiery vaseline. If lighter dies or is wet and sucking the magnesium/sparky thing makes fire on it's own. It's like a 3fer: lighter , lighter assister , stand alone alt method.

Great thread! Obviously, I have a lot to learn, fix my bags and learn some more while testing these out.

Apart from actual trial by fire, where, who, how is a good way to learn more about actually doing this? maybe from experienced folks? Like a day long class or event?

1. I have a GHB I keep in vehicle, primary purpose to get ME home to family when I am out alone. Usually at work which is 37 miles shortest road route through mostly rural areas.

2. I have a BOB kept in the house. It is intended to have stuff for me, wife and two girls (both < 3 years old). I think we have determined if we can't transport by vehicle, we aren't going. I think there is low probability for success trying to hump enough gear to keep two girls comfy and warm or from crying all night in the dark elements.

Unfortunately, my time is rather limited, so I have not had the opportunity to test either bag or my knowledge and skill (lacking and wanting). I am in decent shape and can hike no problem. I've thought about doing some overnights in my back woods, but is it practical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Go camping. Start with a car full of everything. That will make it fun. The next time you will decide on your own to leave the picnic bench at home. But you'll remember the bug spray. After a while you will know better what you really need.

But between trips try to figure out what your goal is. Hiking into " the woods" with stuff on your back in an attempt to establish a secret society of Constitutionalist refugees might not work.

Loading your SUV in a hurry to get to your Brother in Law's summer home in New Hampshire may be more do-able.

The more you think these things out , and test them out , and listen to crazy people on the internet - the more one realizes Plan A is to stay home. Hopefully a well prepared home.

Another recommendation - make checklists.

I have an evacuation checklist of everything I'm going to want to take with me if we have to get out of the house in a hurry. It starts with the essentials - BOB, files, hard drives, extra food, water & blankets - and then lists all the non-essential "keepsake" items we'd want to save - jewelry, photo albums, etc. There are multiple copies posted in key places around the house - I grab one, my wife grabs the other, we load the car and get the hell out. The list really helps avoid those panicked, rushed, "did I remember everything?" moments, and keeps you from grabbing excess stuff you don't need.

We also have checklists for travel and vacations, bugging in, etc.

The bug in checklist came in handy yesterday as we prepped the house for the storm.

I would love to see this stuff getting tested by a bunch of people with different bags.

They have the show the Colony, I hope they're reading this!

I would love to see this stuff getting tested by a bunch of people with different bags.

They have the show the Colony, I hope they're reading this!

The Colony had a couple of moments - making the tractor run on rendered rotting pig was awesome! But, the premise that the Colonists would have no need for real defense (a random selection six of NESers would be able to take over the Colony in about 10 minutes, if they have a few minutes' warning to get a few toys; fifteen if it's only EDC [laugh]) is silly. Unless you have a massive, almost instantaneous die-off the roving hordes will be the biggest challenge, IMO.

You cannot prep for what will happen - because you don't know. You can only prep for what might happen, and adapt your preps to the actual situation. To be able to adapt, you have to be comfortable with the stuff in the BOB, from fire starting, to water purification, to first aid, to food. To be comfortable, you have to practice. The load the car in five minutes for the ski trip drill is a good one - but so is the bandage the gash in the leg without light because the CHUDs will see you drill, and the Let's open the Spaghetti-O's - wait - where's the can opener? drill.

Every time I use my first aid kit, I review what I had; what I wish I had; and how well did what I had work.

PREP: Practice; Repeat; Educate (yourself); Plan

Road trip
clothes on my back
pocket full of money
pouch in my pocket and a case of beer on my shoulder
a few buddies

Leave on friday, come back sunday night...

do it again next weekend....& again, & again.......

72hr bag really???

Road trip
clothes on my back
pocket full of money
pouch in my pocket and a case of beer on my shoulder
a few buddies

Leave on friday, come back sunday night...

do it again next weekend....& again, & again.......

72hr bag really???

dude...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom