Bob's Tactical in Salisbury, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay G said:
Lynne,

Any word on the situation at Bob's lately?

Thanks!

Last I heard there's someone interested in buying it - the details are being hashed out - but no word on when they'll reopen...hopefully it won't be long. :D

Update:

Just spoke with a knowledgeable source and he said that Bob's should be open within a couple weeks. The new owner has already done some stuff to clean up the range and word has it that there'll be new guns to look at as well. As soon as I hear of an opening date - I'll post it here.

Well, this is certainly good news indeed!!!

Although the "new guns" part of it has me worried.

(I have very little willpower to resist new guns...) ;)

Thanks for the updates!

I don't know if this was brought up by anyone - I don't have time to search so if it's a repeat, feel free to delete this or move it guys.

I got this kinda 2nd or 3rd hand, so... Bob's has closed. From my understanding, the owners that were there will be moving someplace else. I've heard they plan on opening a high end gun shop, but I don't know where. As far as the range goes, I've heard the original owner will be taking it over once again and that the firearms instructor that used to teach there will be back again and working with the original owner.

For a couple different personal reasons I have not been to the range since last March, and in light of this news, as well as for a couple different personal reasons, I won't be going back. Take what you will from that, however, I know there were a few of you who've gone to the range and thought you'd like to know that it's not open now. I have no idea when the original owner is planning on re-opening.

Bob`s Tactical

Lynne`s post was correct in that Bob`s is closed. It happened suddenly Tues. PM. If any NES members have deposits or guns on consignment, there`s a phone message with referral # for business owner. If I can be of help, PM me. I must stress, however, that rumors of reopening are just that- rumors! It would be a shame to see it disappear completely, as it`s "the only game in town" and some one could make it a thriving business ! A gun shop with an attached range? Sounds like heaven to me! Stand by for further developments.

Where is Jack?

Hi,

I went to Bob's last Thursday 7/17/08 and they were shut down.

I saw this thread and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to

get in touch with jack.

Thanks,
Mike.

I'm curious to know as well. They have the new location for the new store. Maybe someone will open the range again???? I'm thinking that's not very likely though.

Rumor has it the owner of the business end of Bob's tactical will be opening a shop up route 1 between Bob's and G&G's. I actually saw him outside scoping the place out Tuesday night. All i can say is good luck to this guy let's see how many $5000 Model 12's he can move up the street.....

I hope someone re-opens it. Now when everyone says the original owner. I didn't think there was any other owner besides Bob Forrest? Not sure why it closed i heard it was due to lease issues but we'll see if it re-opens. I really hope it does. We need a few more public ranges. I'm not against clubs. I have one i'm thinking of joining down the street from my house by handguns and rimfire rifles only.

The good part about bobs is it was right down the street from walmart in NH and ammo was nice and cheap. Kill 2 birds with one stone rather than making a special trip for ammo.

I hope someone re-opens it. Now when everyone says the original owner. I didn't think there was any other owner besides Bob Forrest? Not sure why it closed i heard it was due to lease issues but we'll see if it re-opens. I really hope it does. We need a few more public ranges. I'm not against clubs. I have one i'm thinking of joining down the street from my house by handguns and rimfire rifles only.

The good part about bobs is it was right down the street from walmart in NH and ammo was nice and cheap. Kill 2 birds with one stone rather than making a special trip for ammo.

Bob Forrest owned the business, another guy owns the building and has for years.

Is Bob Forrest still involved? He is an attorney who used to do a lot of work with G. Albert Tierny.

Wish I knew if they will re-open soon. I am looking to do a transfer and I am not sure where to go now.[sad] They were 25.00 and close to where I live. Anywhere else will probably be 40. and an hours drive or more. I always tried to give them as much business as possible including buying my ammo there at higher cost to try to keep a support base up. I really hope they reopen.

Is Bob Forrest still involved? He is an attorney who used to do a lot of work with G. Albert Tierny.

Bob Forrest won't be involved at the Bob's tactical site anymore. The owner of the building is rumored to be opening by the beginnig of august. Bob forrest will be opening a seperate store up the road. I refuse to do business with bob forrest that guy is a poor buisness man.

Mr. Forrest was not the original owner - he's only been involved with the gun range for a couple years, if that. The original Bob that opened the range 18 or 20 years ago (and who still owns the building) is supposed to be re-opening the range sometime in August. I'm not sure when however.

For the individual who wanted to get in touch with Jack - PM me your name and info and I'll get it to him.

And, for transfers - there's Gun and Sport North in Lawrence. That's probably the closest. However, since it's located near the down town area, you might want to carry. [wink]

Any idea of what they charge for transfers?

I'm not sure, but you should be able to find their phone number to call - they're on Broadway in Lawrence. It's been a couple years since I was there last. Everything I've had transfered came through Bob's so I never used them for that. I remember seeing a sign with the price, but I don't remember what it was.

There is also NorthShore Firearms in Middleton on Rt 114 or Magnum Firearms on Route 1 in Danvers.

Reopening ?? I HOPE so....

I heard through the grapevine that they may be reopening the range sometime in late August.
I can't stand behind this info 100% since I didn’t get it directly from anyone involved in the business, but at least it gives me an optimistic view....

Re-opening

From what I have heard, they are starting work on the inside of the building this week. I guess the plan is to have a new impact area on the range and to spruce up the shop a bit. I have no information about the gun shop that Forrest is planning to open other than it's going to be located nearby and it will feature high-end, investment-grade firearms. Two gun shops in Salisbury.....that should prove interesting. Wonder what type of town approval was needed for that?

From what I have heard, they are starting work on the inside of the building this week. I guess the plan is to have a new impact area on the range and to spruce up the shop a bit. I have no information about the gun shop that Forrest is planning to open other than it's going to be located nearby and it will feature high-end, investment-grade firearms. Two gun shops in Salisbury.....that should prove interesting. Wonder what type of town approval was needed for that?

No kidding, the real difference between the two shops is one will be open and bringing in money everyday (Bob's Tactical) the other one won't

Update, err kind of

Gun shops dueling

SALISBURY — A split between former associates at a local gun shop could bring two gun shops to Route 1 in close proximity to the town's elementary school.

The situation is causing such confusion, selectmen sent police Chief David L'Esperance to get to the bottom of how one long-established Route 1 gun shop just multiplied to two.

The situation has selectmen unnerved and facing the possibility of hosting two gun shops and firing ranges within three-tenths of a mile of each other, with hundreds of children at the local elementary school in between.

A gun shop and firing range would never be allowed at 90 Lafayette Road today, given its closeness to Salisbury Elementary School, said Selectman Don Beaulieu. The reason Bob's Tactical was there is because it was established long before the elementary school was built, he said. Another gun shop near the school may not be allowed.

The problem came to the selectmen's attention when attorney Robert Forrest asked for an address change amendment to his local business license for Bob's Tactical Shooting Range and Gun Shop from 90 Lafayette Road to 124B Lafayette Road. The approval of the change wouldn't have been a problem, if it weren't for the fact that the gun shop currently at 90 Lafayette Road appears to be staying open as well. A drive by the old property of the old Bob's Tactical shows a new gun shop sign: The Original Bob's Indoor Public Shooting Range and Gun Shop.

About halfway in between the two is Salisbury Elementary School at 100 Lafayette Road.

When selectmen learned Forrest may have already opened for business at his new address before they signed the amended business license, they told L'Esperance to serve a cease and desist order to Forrest, in effect closing the place until they find out what's going on.

Beyond the proximity to the school, selectmen and L'Esperance are also concerned about the change because having a firing range requires a special permit, which the business had at its previous location but not necessarily at the new one. The abutters at the new property, L'Esperance said, could be upset about the noise and shooting activity.

L'Esperance said all the state and federal firearms licenses at the 90 Lafayette Road gun shop and firing range are in order, but the personnel involved may have changed, resulting in the move. Selectmen, however, want a full report from L'Esperance on who owns each gun shop and what activities are planned for each.

Town records indicate some of the ownership history at the 90 Lafayette Road gun shop that's been in existence for a long time.

The original name on the license for the gun shop and indoor firing range was Bob Bernstien, who gave his name to the business. Managing the shop for Bernstien was Jim Balou, who has the state and federal firearms licenses used at the establishment allowing the sale of arms, as well as firearms education and teaching of shooting.

Forrest, a Haverhill attorney and a part-time South Hampton police prosecutor and lieutenant, entered the picture in 2006, purchasing the firearms business — but not the property — from Bernstien. Forrest changed the legal name to Baystate Arms, LLC, but continued to do business as Bob's Tactical.

Forrest ran the business on property owned by Bernstien and with Balou's involvement and licenses until recently.

According to documents found at Town Hall, Bernstien is opening another gun shop in his 90 Lafayette Road property, perhaps with Balou's involvement and state and federal firearms permits.

The only way to address the new situation is to find the facts and speak to Forrest and the others, selectmen said. They aren't going to sign any new or amended licenses for gun shops until L'Esperance inspects the premises and receives answers, and until the owners show up for further questioning at a future selectmen's meeting.

Forrest could not be reached yesterday afternoon.

Hmmmm

So, it sounds like Jim Balou had the FFL, Bob Bernstien ownes the property and Bob Forrest owned the business name.
Bob Forrest is moving (and I assume taking the business name with him) but if Jim doesn't go along, he would need an FFL to sell guns.
I guess the question is : if the business name moves buteverything else stays, does the range need a new business license or does Bob Forrest ?
I went by the new gun shop before they opened and I don't see how it would be possible to build a new gun range at that site, although anything is possible with the right application of cash, trucks and explosives...[wink]

Re: Gun Shops Dueling

Haa haa!!!! That's great!!! I knew there would be an uproar over this! [rofl] Odd that a lawyer/cop has such blatant disregard for the laws. Serves him right, I would say. From what I have heard, Forrest was real nasty to a few long time customers who now refuse to do business with him. This is a small community of gun people, so word gets around quick. He reaps what he hath sown.[smile]

I stopped in there today. The gentleman inside said that they are ready for classes now, will have the store open in about a week (maybe 2)and the range would be ready in a month.

He made it a point to say that "The Original Bob" will own this and run it like it use to be run ( I'm not from the north shore and have never been in Bobs before, so i don't know if that's good or bad)

I found the article interesting in its assumption that a range shouldn't be allowed (and wouldn't under today's standards) so close to a school. Do legal ranges allow unaccompanied children to wander in and shoot during school hours (or any other time)? Are bullets routinely flying out of legal ranges and hitting nearby businesses and people? Back when I lived in L.A. I was fortunate to have a new range (The Beverly Hills Gun Club) open up within a half mile of my office, and, incidentally, within roughly the same distance of a couple of elementary schools. Can't say I ever heard of any problems or read of any children getting hit my stray bullets. Gun fearing wussies.

Ken

I stopped in there today. The gentleman inside said that they are ready for classes now, will have the store open in about a week (maybe 2)and the range would be ready in a month.

He made it a point to say that "The Original Bob" will own this and run it like it use to be run ( I'm not from the north shore and have never been in Bobs before, so i don't know if that's good or bad)

It's a good thing. The former owners who have moved up the street would get pissed if people would "hang out" at the shop. For instance i would take one night a week to go up and shoot and plan on spending the evening there since i was good friends with Jack who works there. We would order food shoot the shit and i would make it a point to spend money on ammo and have purchased 5 or 6 guns in my time there in the year prior to it shutting down this time. The former owner wanted me to come in spend an hour or less shooting and get out. The new owner will not frown on people who hang out and spend money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom