body armor acceptability at public ranges? club ranges?

How acceptable (go away & don't come back / uh, you a cop? / yeah, he's wearing body armor. nice cautious shooter. / what, you've never seen body armor before?) is body armor at area public ranges and less than public clubs?

If I were at a massive shoot with tons and tons of people, maybe, possibly, I'd consider it.
At a private range? I carry and I watch people.

You might look like a mall ninja but I think its a good idea to where it if you got it. Also, practicing with your equipment is a good idea.

I have worn mine at tactical classes where there is a lot of shooting/moving, the instructors had no issue, seeing they were wearing theirs.

I don't only because I cannot afford ones. If I'm going to the range in Westminister where I am always the only party there, then there's no need. When I go up to Machester Firing line with my buddy in LE we'll both wear a couple of his vests. Just put it on as you're coming onto the range and no one will think bad about you.

[caugh]range ninja[/caugh]

um, yeah, that's cool... I'd wear it.

Seriously, if I felt I needed to wear it at the range I'd leave ASAP.

If you are practicing with your gear (that you ACTUALLY use regularly on the job), then that's reasonable. But if you show up to the range with a vest and drop leg holster chances are good I'm going to go home and tell my wife about the guy I saw at the range and she'll roll her eyes.

1. I wouldn't trust just one plate. If you're going to stop multiple .338 Lapua hits you're going to need to double up.

2. It's probably a good idea, but If I saw you, I might want to take a shot at you (centermass of course) just to see if it works. You know, kidding around and all.

I don't know about at the range, but I have thought about it deer hunting on public land! Someone should make a hunter orange kevlar vest for just such occasions!

I had someone shoot a 50bmg at me, that sucker would have hurt if it hit me. Since they I wear multiple layers of body armour. Just remember not to be commiting a felony why wearing body armour in NH, that is illegal.

I had someone shoot a 50bmg at me, that sucker would have hurt if it hit me. Since they I wear multiple layers of body armour. Just remember not to be commiting a felony why wearing body armour in NH, that is illegal.

Do tell! what are the details on that story?

Anyone ever hear of "Super Jew" - in/around the Concord, NH area? I believe he worked at/owned a LE supply shop down there, perhaps NH Insignia?

Anyway, he used to do some interesting body armor demonstrations from what I hear!

if you want to wear body armor, who cares? Who are gun people to start banning stuff like democrats?

We won't ban it, we'll just have a good laugh about it with our friends. Noone is going to stop you (though some fudd clubs would probably frown it more than a high-capacity-baby-killing-gangsta-cop-killing-magazine.)

Are you worried about accidents or being attaked? And are you going to wear the helmet or just the vest?

How acceptable (go away & don't come back / uh, you a cop? / yeah, he's wearing body armor. nice cautious shooter. / what, you've never seen body armor before?) is body armor at area public ranges and less than public clubs?

I've worn Kevlar to the range, you do indeed move differently with it on, and since I wear it at work (armed security) I practice practice practice. If you want just want to be cool...it won't make you any cooler. But shooting range robberies have happened before, and...who cares? It's just a vest.

On a side note, the last time kencop93, rundlld and I went to the range, we put up a Kevlar vest on a target stand and shot it with 9mm, .357 SIG, 7.62x39, .30-30, .40 S&W and many others. [smile] Fun, but scary if you've ever worn a vest to protect your life before, since that vest will only stop what it's rated for.

Here's a picture of me on my last trip to the range:

0702_1.JPG

You'll notice I didn't bother with my heavy suit, just the light weight, casual one. (also notice my awesome trigger discipline!)

theres nothing wrong with practicing with body armor on.
anyone in this thread that has "SHTF" gear and doesnt practice with it is in for a rude surprise if they ever have to use it in a serious situation.

movement is much different, and in some cases difficult with the heavier body armor on. if you own it, and think you would ever wear it under any circumstance, then i would suggest you practice with it on occasionally.

people that are prepared, and proficient in their equipment are not mall ninjas. people that buy all of the gear, and leave it in their closet for "SHTF" are.

If I detect someone wearing body armor, my first reaction is to ask myself, "Now, why do you suppose this dude is expecting to take fire?"

Absent a good explanation, I will keep a close eye on the person until I can leave the scene.

I'd walk up to the guy and be like "cool, where can I get one of those? do you like it? how much did it cost?". Always looking for new toys.

If I detect someone wearing body armor, my first reaction is to ask myself, "Now, why do you suppose this dude is expecting to take fire?"

Absent a good explanation, I will keep a close eye on the person until I can leave the scene.

Poorly disciplined shooters is more than good enough reason for anyone to want to wear a vest at the range. I say wear it if you got it.

Back
Top Bottom