body armor acceptability at public ranges? club ranges?

I shoot at a private club and I don't fear for my life enough to warrant wearing a vest. Training for tac situations and just being out in public is a different matter.

Why would you need to wear body armor to a range? I can see it if your on the receiving end, but not on the firing line.

- people will stare
- some may chuckle
- some may jokes
- if there is a single woman there, you stand no chance.

Just calling them as I see them.

Hopefully I didnt offend anyone with the "super jew" comment, but thats what he called himself!

As my Uncle (long time NH LE) described it, a customer (who "super jew" knew personally) would walk into the shop, and he'd fire a round (small caliber) into his own vest. IIRC this was about the time vests started to become more common amongs local PD's

I doubt anyone was offended. It was clear from the post he called himself that. I just wanted to know what he did to think he "earned" the title. Thanks for filling in the rest.

Was at Bob's Tactical one time and it was very crowded. Very unsafe practices going on. I wish I had a vest then.

My opinion in the form of an analogy:

Wearing a seatbelt is not the best way to prevent injury if you are in the car with a dangerous driver. Staying out of the car is. However, I also wear a seatbelt when I drive with someone who is a safe driver.

That being said, I don't wear a vest. If I was around a dangerous situation I would remove myself from that situation first before going back into it with a vest on under the guise of feeling safe. But I see no reason not to wear one in a situation where you are more likely to be safe at the range. It's up to you at that point. And if you're not in highschool anymore you would do well to not care so much about what the rest of the folks think about what you are wearing.

[caugh]range ninja[/caugh]

um, yeah, that's cool... I'd wear it.

Seriously, if I felt I needed to wear it at the range I'd leave ASAP.

If you are practicing with your gear (that you ACTUALLY use regularly on the job), then that's reasonable. But if you show up to the range with a vest and drop leg holster chances are good I'm going to go home and tell my wife about the guy I saw at the range and she'll roll her eyes.

What about before you feel the need to leave?

Realize that this feeling of impeding doom only occurs because there is unsafe stuff happening, in other words, its too late. Only until you see it do you know to leave. The point is your at the line shooting, and joeblow-ihavenoideawhatimdoing walks in. Proceeds to remove his loaded gun from his soft side carrier and ND's into you back. Or daddy hands his kid an Uzi.

Its the dangers that you don't know about that kill you. Its why you ALWAYS wear a seatbelt, because you don't know when or where your going to get hit.

Hell, I wanna be a superjew...how the hell do you get that title? I remember being told about Bar Mitzvah but I think they left out the part about Super Jew status. Perhaps that's comes later...

Hell, I wanna be a superjew...how the hell do you get that title?

Well, first you gotta get an appropriate suit...

superjew.jpgkpaaub.jpg

Hell, I wanna be a superjew...how the hell do you get that title? I remember being told about Bar Mitzvah but I think they left out the part about Super Jew status. Perhaps that's comes later...

I've got these images of the old SNL Ubermann skit with Ubermann vs. Super Jew in my head all done to the Mel Brooks song Jews in Space from History of the World Part I [laugh2]

Well. that explains it. Evidently I haven't the suit nor the hair. Let me get working on that and I'll get back to you'all.

BTW, Ross, Nice outfit buddy.

At first glance, the idea appears to be completely ridiculous. But, as the conversation went along I found myself thinking that it may not be that bad of an idea. For those that actually have need for a vest as part of their day to day world it makes a lot of sense.

I have been at far too many ranges where there has been far too many idiots, unsafe handling (waving loaded guns around), as well as times when an all clear has been called, you go down to set up targets and some yutz on the line decides it's a good idea to start fiddling with their loaded weapon while people are down range, etc.
More often than not, I just pack up and leave when this happens. But, given that ANYTHING could happen in an instant with some of these people, a vest could be literally a life saver.

And on the flip side.. I could see this becoming a requirement at any sort of public gun rental range. Eyes, ears and vests.. If for no other reason than insurance and liability.

I always feel safe at my local range, however Im generally there alone or with a friend or two - because I have convienience of being able to go mid day. That said, it really makes me wonder about some of the people who shoot there, seeing the steel drum trash can (behind the firing line) rittled with bullet holes, as well as the brass buckets they set out there...

Well...my first reaction would be that you are a mall ninja/leo wannabe...but who am I to really say or judge you? There are some good reasons to wear body armor at the range. Maybe less so at the Podunk Rod and Gun Club (if such a place exists !) but more so at the Manchester Firing Line.

The idea of civilians wearing body armor is novel, but there are certainly some cogent reasons for doing so, and it may be a future trend.

Mark L.

I wear a vest when I am doing it for work, if I go out just to plink for fun then it's not likely.

The bulletproof "athletic" support device remind anyone of that SuperTroopers scene?

WOW!!!! That has got to be the cod piece of thenew century!!!
Maybe we are seeing a cod piece revival here?

Great... I had to look up "cod piece" on wiki... [hmmm] what has been seen can not be unseen... ug.

I work as a Range Safety Officer at the S&W Shooting Sports Center and I always ware a vest when working the range.

Anyone ever hear of "Super Jew" - in/around the Concord, NH area? I believe he worked at/owned a LE supply shop down there, perhaps NH Insignia?

Anyway, he used to do some interesting body armor demonstrations from what I hear!

Myron "Super Jew" Cohen owns Neptune police supply in Haverhill.
myron.jpg

He has been known to shoot at body armor....
indoors.......
without warning........
(It was set up on a chair)
He said "Hey, watch this!"
My ears are STILL ringing.........

Back
Top Bottom