Body Armor

Someone recently asked for a new topic, so here's something:

Most people might not think of balistic body armor as "survival gear" but its goal is to help people survive specific encounters, so I'm curious:

When would you consider wearing Body Armor?

What level of Body Armor would you wear?

When would you wear it?

Someone recently asked for a new topic, so here's something:

Most people might not think of balistic body armor as "survival gear" but its goal is to help people survive specific encounters, so I'm curious:

When would you wear it?

sandbox, swine flu / confiscation raids

Interceptor Body Armor (IBA) w / Small Arms Protective Insert (SAPI) plate

When would you wear it?

outside the wire

It depends.. Do they sell it specifically for women?? Will it make me look fat?? Does it come in purple??

i throw on my IIIa soft vest every time I go to the Searstown Mall....

I also have IV+ hard plates, ive never found an occasion to wear those yet though.

What about yellow pages duct taped around torso to keep from getting shanked? (John Lithgow did this in what movie?)....

Bullet-resistant body armor provide some protection against stabbing but I think yellowpage+duct tape works better against knife attacks.

At work always......thats mandatory, at the range yes...I like to train as I might end up fighting.

Get one that's comfortable to wear if you need to.
It's not illegal in MA. (There are exceptions. I don't think you can be a convicted felon)
IIIA will stop most handgun calibers.

If you're going to be shot with a rifle you're going to die unless you have some serious armor. That armor is very expensive and very heavy. It's not daily use stuff.

Situations where people may want to consider wearing some body armor: When they're doing transactions involving cash or valuables. Maybe you're buying a used car from someone you don't know and you have a few thousand with you etc.

Yo shade, thanks for taking me up on the new topics, maybe the cupcake kid can bring something new to the forum as well…)

My 2cents, Body Armor has some weight to it and it isn’t fun humping that around especially with a pack on your back. And it really sucks to go empty hand or knife defense because you lose so much flexibility and movement.
If I heard lots of rounds going off in the neighborhood and had to go out, I’d wear it.
It would always go in my “just in case” corner as well.
The new stuff is kinda pricy, but you can get some of the older gear at a reasonable price.

Underwhere makes some very good points.

I believe it is illegal if you are committing a crime. What, are you surprised? [smile][wink]

MGL 269-10D:

CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE

Chapter 269: Section 10D. Body armor; use in commission of crime

Section 10D. Whoever, while in the commission or attempted commission of a felony, uses or wears any body armor, so-called, or any protective covering for the body or any parts thereof, made of resin-treated glass-fiber cloth, or of any other material or combination of materials, designed to prevent, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knives or other weapons, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years or for not less than one year nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

i throw on my IIIa soft vest every time I go to the Searstown Mall....

Now it's "The Mall at Whitney Field." [wink]

It's not illegal in MA. (There are exceptions. I don't think you can be a convicted felon)

It's federally prohibited for felons to have body armor, unless it's for work purposes only (i.e. Dog the Bounty Hunter).

sandbox, swine flu / confiscation raids

Interceptor Body Armor (IBA) w / Small Arms Protective Insert (SAPI) plate

When would you wear it?

outside the wire

+1 to this.

If you read the Massachusetts Pandemic Response Bill you would rush out and get some body armor quick.

A good place to buy and reasonably priced site is www.bulletproofme.com .Steve there is a stand up guy and can get you situated with new, used or contract over-run surplus body armor. He has armor for women as well.

Body Armor Ratings

NIJ-IIIA (National Institute of Justice level 3a) body armor is rated against deep-penetration hangun calibers at submachine gun velocities.

The old standard was 124gr 9mm FMJ @ 1400fps (intended to cover 9mm sub-machinegun velocities) and 240gr .44 Mag Semi-Jackets Hollow Point @ 1400fps. (Covers most hunting revolvers)

Covers the vast majority of handgun calibers and velocities.

"Defeating" a threat means both stopping penetration and limiting "back-face deformation" - IE how bad a bruise you're going to get from blunt trauma.

NIJ-II is designed to cover the vast majority of expected handgun threats:

9mm FMJ @ 1175fps & .357Mag (158gr JSP @ 1400fps)

For Rifle Threats you need NIJ-III or NIJ-IV, which involves hard rifle plates.

NIJ-III is 6 rounds .308 Winchester (7.62x51 NATO) 148gn FMJ @ 2750fps

NIJ-IV is a single round of 30-06 AP (M2 AP) 166gn AP @ 2850fps

There is an unofficial NIJ-IV+ which stops multiple 30-06 AP test rounds.

The Military Small Arms Protective Insert (SAPI) uses 3x 5.56x45 NATO rounds shooting the SS109 Semi-Armor Piercing Penetrator @ 3100fps. Though it's round is different, it is generally considered between NIJ-III and NIJ-IV.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/NIJ_Test_Rounds_CHART.shtml

Was in the Army Barracks this morning, they had several vests similar to the one cheaperthandirt is backordered on for ~$50.

+1 to this.

If you read the Massachusetts Pandemic Response Bill you would rush out and get some body armor quick.

A good place to buy and reasonably priced site is www.bulletproofme.com .Steve there is a stand up guy and can get you situated with new, used or contract over-run surplus body armor. He has armor for women as well.

Chet's gonna be issued body armor for the swine flu raids. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom