Body Armor

talking about body armor. I owned a fully plated interceptor body armor aka IBA. Damn i hate it especially in the hot weather condition. It makes your body heavy and tired faster than winter. I would like to trade mine IBA for Dragon skin which is lighter and more stopping power. And the Reason the us military didn't want to issue troops the Dragon skin because they don't have enough funding then lied about the Dragon skin didn't fast the army test before seeing the result... That is bull..
Also my cousin is a retired captain in the Army he said he hate it also. I would love to ask a few Military Generals about the Dragon skin they are wearing..

Is it legal in MA? For some reason I was under the impression that it wasn't...

I was trying to determine whether it was or not because I am listening to the lead instructor and class at work discuss how its illegal. I'm thinking to myself WTF. Unbelievable the things people say.

The only thing I found for the fed level was what was previously mentioned. Nothing in Maine. I am gonna ask him where he heard this.

Is it legal in MA? For some reason I was under the impression that it wasn't...

I was trying to determine whether it was or not because I am listening to the lead instructor and class at work discuss how its illegal. I'm thinking to myself WTF. Unbelievable the things people say.

The only thing I found for the fed level was what was previously mentioned. Nothing in Maine. I am gonna ask him where he heard this.

Oh sweet. That's good to know. I wouldn't want to break the law while I'm....um.....breaking......the......law.
Yeah, the bad guy does not care about gun control laws and the such, BUT it does help lock them up longer and provide leverage when it comes to getting confessions / information out of them.

I would be interested to know if it criminalizes them when committing a Felony. OR if using them to commit any crime is a felony.

it is illegal to own one if you are not in law enforcement either use it or not. That is what i heard. i don't think it is legal in MA.[grin]

I think the confusion exists because it is illegal to own if you are a convicted felon.
I found this with a quick search.

"For example, in Oklahoma, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin, a defendant must be committing or attempting to commit a felony while wearing body armor, although the Massachusetts statute also criminalizes the use of body armor, not just the wearing of it."
http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:eek:78PD3kJxTQJ:findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_n3_v64/ai_16984614/pg_2/+is+body+armor+legal+in+massachusetts%3F&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

And this.
"Stephen Crooker is charged with possessing body armor and a bullet-proof vest as a previously convicted violent felon"
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/stephen_and_jake_crooker_of_we.html

Still searching..
Massachusetts General Laws - Crimes Against Public Peace - Chapter 269, Section 10D
"Section 10D. Whoever, while in the commission or attempted commission of a felony, uses or wears any body armor, so-called, or any protective covering for the body or any parts thereof, made of resin-treated glass-fiber cloth, or of any other material or combination of materials, designed to prevent, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knives or other weapons, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years or for not less than one year nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

Im not finding anything that completely prohibits the possession of body armor by law abiding citizens.

Last edited:
it is illegal to own one if you are not in law enforcement either use it or not. That is what i heard. i don't think it is legal in MA.[grin]

I flew into Logan two weeks ago with a full set of military body armor, sapi plates, kevlar helmet, and a gas mask in a duffel bag. As a civilian. And no one cared.

There is a big difference between "I don't think it is legal because my buddy told me so" and it is in fact illegal. I don't know the answer for sure, but I would not give legal advice based on gun shop gossip. [rolleyes]

Legal under MA law, unless worn during the commission (or attempted commission) of a felony (M.G.L. c.269 s.10D).

Legal under FED law, unless worn by a prohibited person (18 U.S.C. 931).

I have BOTH Class IIIa and Level 4+ vests (one of each), and wear them from time to time, various places, just to stay in training. The IIIa hides well, and so I don't worry much about that one. Since it's Winter, when I wear the 4+, I bulk up on sweater/oversized coat/big hat, just to throw everyone off.

Kinda puts me at ease knowing that if some mall rat tries to get weird, I can not only take the bastard down (gun wise), I'll probably survive if he manages to get a shot off.

I can't wait for someone to accidentally BUMP into me at the mall, while I am wearing the plates.....

"No, sir, I am not shoplifting....... I 'm wearing body armor"

Hanwei did a great job with the last Group Buy, and could be encouraged to do one again.

Kinda puts me at ease knowing that if some mall rat tries to get weird, I can not only take the bastard down (gun wise), I'll probably survive if he manages to get a shot off.

I can't wait for someone to accidentally BUMP into me at the mall, while I am wearing the plates.....

Gecko45 is that you? [laugh]

-Mike

how does the extra weight effect you when you're practicing diving for cover behind gas station shelving, etc? does it slow you down? what about the extra layers of clothing to conceal it, do they slow down your draw at all?

i've been thinking about some level 4+ armor for shopping, but figured i wouldn't be able to preform a zipper or mozambique as quickly due to the extra padding, etc.

YOU MUST TRAIN FOR IT. I wear Level 4+ front back AND side plates when I go out. It slows me down getting in the door at Dunkin Donuts but can never be too safe ordering a coffee. But the added weight as well as bulk comes with a cost, I can no longer do full combat rolls while conducting simultaneous reloads of my M4, Glock, and 1911 when I get ready for "combat" at Wal-Mart. Its a dangerous world out there. I carry 2 tourniquets, and a drop leg grocery shopping too.

It was issued to us when I worked at Boston EMS, I wore it religously....the with the shock plate in the kill zone.....if the vest is fit correctly, it feels like your wearing a soft cardboard undershirt. After you get used to it, I never found it hampered my range of motion and I was bending lifting and carrying for 10 hours a day. The only part that really sucks is durring hot days...it does not breat and if you are wearing it correctly it is form fitting which means you get very wet! You also need to be careful about old ones you may purchase, many of them were recalled for fairlures about 3 years ago. A friend and I took one to the range set it up at 25 yards and my G17 was putting holes right it, that was one of the recalled ones. They had a problem with degradation of the kevlar fibers which caused the usefull life to drop to less then 3 years....I believe most of thost were the manufacturer Second Chance...not even sure if they are still around anymore.

I used to wear vests for long periods of time but unless I have too, I wouldn't wear one again -- long-time or short-time :) Even if SHTF - I'll stay cool, mobile and flexible without it. Although after wearing the thin ones for a while you get used to it. If I was a cop or something like that and going to kick in a door with a BG behind it, I would strap it on. But other then that my vest sits in my safe until I can find a buyer for it.

I went to the FBI MTU ballistic laboratory up in Quantico a few years back to see testing of various bulletproof level III vests, it was pretty cool. SA Buford Boone hooked me up with front row seats. Most of the vests I saw him perform various test on held up well; most, not all. During the course of a day, I'd say 75% passed. Buford was shooting at blocks of ballistic gel from a benched weapon, with various calibers from 10 - 15 feet away. Like I said - not all the vests passed the test.

So even if you got it on, if it don't work it sucks to be you.

I have a bullet proof vest and trauma plate that I bought in 1980. It's been kept inside, in a closet for these last 30 years. Is it totally worthless by now? Should I just take it out to the range and shoot it up, or is it better than nothing for a bizarre SHTF home invasion or zombie attack? I'm guessing it was designed for .38 or .357...

I have a bullet proof vest and trauma plate that I bought in 1980. It's been kept inside, in a closet for these last 30 years. Is it totally worthless by now? Should I just take it out to the range and shoot it up, or is it better than nothing for a bizarre SHTF home invasion or zombie attack? I'm guessing it was designed for .38 or .357...

When looking up vest information, I found this site http://www.bulletproofme.com/How_Good_is_Police_Surplus.shtml#Surplus . It seems like Kevlar stays effective for a long time, if it is treated well. I am not sure if you would want to bet your life on it, but, in a pinch, I would guess that it is far better than nothing. Hope that helps.

Remembering the recall a few years ago, the vests that failed most frequently were those that were worn the most often, the sweat and movement of the vest reduced its tensile strength. In reality though....even a vest that fails is most likely better then no vest at all? Perhaps it does fail, I've got to believe that some of the impact is taken away in the ripping of the kevlar even if its not at full strength its pretty dang strong stuff. IMHO

Remembering the recall a few years ago, the vests that failed most frequently were those that were worn the most often, the sweat and movement of the vest reduced its tensile strength. In reality though....even a vest that fails is most likely better then no vest at all? Perhaps it does fail, I've got to believe that some of the impact is taken away in the ripping of the kevlar even if its not at full strength its pretty dang strong stuff. IMHO

The "infamous defective vests" were made by Second Chance and they were made of Zylon, not Kevlar.

Read the section under "Body Armor".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zylon#Body_Armor

-Mike

When looking up vest information, I found this site http://www.bulletproofme.com/How_Good_is_Police_Surplus.shtml#Surplus . It seems like Kevlar stays effective for a long time, if it is treated well. I am not sure if you would want to bet your life on it, but, in a pinch, I would guess that it is far better than nothing. Hope that helps.

Thanks, this is a good site, I'm going to take a really good look atthe materials tomorrow. If it hasn't deteriorated, I might just keep it - JIC.

Some websites only sell body armor to Law Enforcement or Military personnel. Sales to civilians, regardless of state, are restricted. An example is OPSGEAR.

Some websites only sell body armor to Law Enforcement or Military personnel. Sales to civilians, regardless of state, are restricted. An example is OPSGEAR.

This is not true. It is absolutely dependent on the state you live in. Please clarify what you mean.

I live in MA. This is true for www.opsgear.com and here is what the company's website says when buying body armor:

Military / DOD: Must have copy of Military / Govt. ID and current command.
Law Enforcement / Agency / State Govt: Must have copy of Law Enforcement or Agency ID, or certificate with current Department.
Independent Security Contractor: Must have copy of Drivers License, Security Certificate and Letter on company letterhead approving this purchase.
Civilians: No Sale, no exception.

Here's the web address for you to check out yourself: http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/p...First+Choice+Armor+KAP+Stand+Alone+IIIA+Plate

Back
Top Bottom