Body Armor

If you go to a store that is not so mall ninja-ish, you will find that you can get it shipped to MA.

I live in MA. This is true for www.opsgear.com and here is what the company's website says when buying body armor:

Military / DOD: Must have copy of Military / Govt. ID and current command.
Law Enforcement / Agency / State Govt: Must have copy of Law Enforcement or Agency ID, or certificate with current Department.
Independent Security Contractor: Must have copy of Drivers License, Security Certificate and Letter on company letterhead approving this purchase.
Civilians: No Sale, no exception.

Here's the web address for you to check out yourself: http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/p...First+Choice+Armor+KAP+Stand+Alone+IIIA+Plate

Gotcha.

Just to be clear for everyone else who may not know... MA has no restrictions in its MGL's regarding body armor except for the fact that you can't use body armor in the commission of a crime. Otherwise, it's perfectly fine to purchase and own in MA. And just because opsgear.com doesn't sell/ship to civilians... doesn't mean others won't.

Body armor can be sold to us civie folks, depending on state law and it is also depending on the merchant, whether they want to sell to civilians. I have a couple P.A.C.A level 3A vests that I picked up last year from a friend who had some samples left over. The problem is obtaining the level 4 plates, they tend to be a bit more restricted, even at the discretion of merchants that sell vests they may not sell plates, some do some don't, but they get to be pricey.
I'm a little more concerned about the dumb arss that has the handgun and not so much with the sniper shooting me with a 338 lapua or 408 Cheytac.
And yes, what a dumb law, use of armor is a felony in the commission of a crime. Do you think the person committing the crime has any regard for whether or not armor is legal or not?? Its only good because it will add 5 or so years to his sentence and keep them at bay a little longer.

Last edited:
There is no law in NH or MA (not sure about other states) restricting the sale of ballistic body armor to civilians, however individual manufacturers and/or distributors have company policies that restrict sales to individuals and/or private citizens. That is their corporate choice and their right as part of a free market society.

So there is a vest that will take multiple hits from a 338 lapua?

Soft Body armor is not designed to defeat rifle threats.

The highest commerically available threat level that I am aware of right now is the Unofficial NIJ IV+ (Unofficial because the personal body armor threat scale stops at IV) NIJ IV+ is suppose to defeat multiple strike of the NIJ IV test round - the M2 AP (30-06 Hardened Steel Core Armor Piercing Round)
The Mil-Spec Assault Body Armor rating includes the 7.62x59 Rimmed Armor Piercing Incindeary threat. This is the maximum threat that the Interceptor Body-Armor with Steel Plate (not the SAPI) is rated against, and is the threat the DragonSkin 3000 series body armor was tested to.

There are threat ratings V and VI for vehicles, but I'm not aware of any personal protection systems currently available that protect against the .338 Lapua or .408 Chey-Tec

bullseye,

They offer some great products at reasonable prices.

I forget if they offer the ballistic packpacks, but those are another convient solution. It's a standard backpack with a slot for a ballistic insert that can be beneficial in an emergency (cover your back while leaving, flipped around to cover your chest or placed in front of a loved one while taking cover)

Some towns have discussed (some may have implimented) bans on such backpacks in schools for fear that a kid who has decided to shoot up the school may wear a bullet resistant backpack or two to make it more difficult for police. Personally, I'd much rather my son have such a pack and the knowledge of how to use it to reduce the threat such a person posses to him.

I agree, if you can afford to buy a protective backpack for your kids, let them wear it, no need to inform the school as to what protection you provide your kids with, none of their business. If I want to send my kids to school with a level 2 tshirt, I will do so, fortunately, we haven't come to that point here, yet.

I have both Level IIIa and Level IV armor, and wear it when I feel I have to. Sometimes, I wear both at the same time.

Most of the time that I feel I have to is when at the range doing defensive training, especially if there are lots of people in the group.
It doesn't take but one accident to make a bad day for someone.

I got mine from Hanwei's Group Buy.

I have both Level IIIa and Level IV armor, and wear it when I feel I have to. Sometimes, I wear both at the same time.

Most of the time that I feel I have to is when at the range doing defensive training, especially if there are lots of people in the group.
It doesn't take but one accident to make a bad day for someone.

I got mine from Hanwei's Group Buy.

I've never actually worn my plates. I have worn my soft vest though, usually when I go to the Searstown mall. Oh, and I wore it at the last Pumpkin Shoot too. That was because I was freezing my ass off and needed more insulation, though.

Back
Top Bottom