BostonAsphalt2 NES/Appleseed Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, can I accept this instead? I'd be happy to make whatever claims you'd like if it means getting an offer like this. Come on BA! Accept!

I'd definitely be in for this. Just so he can't blame the rifle, I'll let him use my AR that's set up for Highpower competition. I scored rifleman with it last year, so there can be no excuses that it's an equipment problem.

To clarify, is this just from BA's few complaints about Appleseed, or are there other comments that triggered this? I'm a piss-poor rifle shooter, but his complaints don't sound totally specious to me. There's a big difference between pointing out areas of disagreement and claiming to be a high-speed-low-drag operator in a goofy way; is this due to the former or the latter?

To clarify, is this just from BA's few complaints about Appleseed, or are there other comments that triggered this? I'm a piss-poor rifle shooter, but his complaints don't sound totally specious to me. There's a big difference between pointing out areas of disagreement and claiming to be a high-speed-low-drag operator in a goofy way; is this due to the former or the latter?

Did you read the thread? http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...cture-Thread?p=1466099&viewfull=1#post1466099

I'm an average shot at best, but I'd like to go shoot this Appleseed (if it happens.) Maybe I'll bring my 10 year old daughter - she'd give BA a run for his money.

so, where do these Appleseeds take place??

There are four Appleseed Shoots scheduled for Harvard Sportsman's Club over the next 6 months. There is one out in Leyden, MA on Sept 25-26. We are also working on a couple more in SE Ma for this year; we should know more next week about the scheduling. There are also plenty of them happening in CT, NH, NY and VT (to mention the local area). The link for the national schedule has already been posted, so I won't repost it.

I will mention, however, that you shoot for free. Ladies, active duty military, anyone under 21, elected officials and Rev War reenactors (if they come in period garb!) all shoot for free.

I'm an average shot at best, but I'd like to go shoot this Appleseed (if it happens.) Maybe I'll bring my 10 year old daughter - she'd give BA a run for his money.

Why wait? See my comments above about who shoots for free.

Tentative pending BOD approval:

Appleseed event September 18 and 19 at Mansfield Fish and Game..... (It is a coincidence that this is in Bostonasphalt's neighborhood)

Details to follow after the June 30 Doard of Directors meeting if approved.

Still no response from BA, huh. I hope he accepts this challenge. If he accepts and follows through, I will donate $50 to GOAL.

BostonAsphalt2 just think of all the money you will raise for GOAL, just by showing up.

Holy crap.
jaw.gif

Thanks and a Tip O'the Stetson™
yo.gif
to all for the positive responses.

Like I stated earlier, I'm waiting to hear the excuses.

He made some comments denigrating an Appleseed Instructor's CORRECT shooting technique, which made him look like a fool.

If you are going to criticize,
a) know what you are talking about and
b) be able to back up your claims somehow

I have made my criticisms of the program based on the claims BY SOME PEOPLE that merely going to an Appleseed will make you a 500 yd rifleman. I will not go on to trash this thread rehashing my reasons for saying so. However, I DO know what I am talking about and I CAN demonstrate my grasp of the subject matter on command. While I have never been to an Appleseed and don't have a Rifleman patch, I do happen to have NRA Master classifications in three disciplines including NRA Long Range (800 - 1000 yards prone).

I need to buy a rifle and start practicing already :(... Wish they weren't so damn expensive (the nice ones)

I will mention, however, that you shoot for free. Ladies, active duty military, anyone under 21, elected officials and Rev War reenactors (if they come in period garb!) all shoot for free.

Guard and Reserves as well, correct?

Tentative pending BOD approval:

Appleseed event September 18 and 19 at Mansfield Fish and Game..... (It is a coincidence that this is in Bostonasphalt's neighborhood)

Details to follow after the June 30 Doard of Directors meeting if approved.

He claims to live within walking distance of MF&G.

He bitched about money to attend an NES Shoot at MF&G. Fred offered to pay his range fee, loan him a rifle and give him the ammo. BA was still a "no show" with excuses. It's just his style . . . Tom Rush (folk singer from 1960s) has a Mid-West term for it "All hat, no cattle!" . . . fits here perfectly.

Like I stated earlier, I'm waiting to hear the excuses.

Well, expect to hear either crickets or a number of lame excuses.

This thread is full of win. The challenge itself is worth the price of admission, however the other members stepping up and giving money to GOAL or other generous offers really shows how great of a group we having going here.

I have no beef with BA at all, but don't see how he can refuse at this point. It's not like showing up and being bad is going to somehow shatter a reputation, either; I show up and am bad every time I shoot.

I need to buy a rifle and start practicing already :(... Wish they weren't so damn expensive (the nice ones)

Basic 10/22s come up reasonable here on NES occasionally. I picked one up a while ago from an NES'r for decent money (less than $200). Add Tech Sights and sling and you're all set. So for less than $300 you have everything you need to score Rifleman.

ETA: You do NOT want to use a fancy one as laying in mud, rain, etc. is all part of the shoot and "basic" works just fine.

Last edited:
I'll up the ante here.

If BA takes MrTwigg up on the offer, I'll donate $50 to GOAL orgs ($25 to GOAL and $25 to The GOAL Foundation that does the educational functions).

If BA scores Rifleman, I'll double the above donation!

ETA: And if he shoots an Appleseed with Abbey and beats Abbey's score, I'll donate an additional $25 to The GOAL Foundation.

Come on BA, after all Abbey "shoots like a girl"! [rofl] [laugh2] [laugh] [pot]

Last edited:
Guard and Reserves as well, correct?

Correct. Nat Guard, Coast Guard - if you've got an active military ID (IE; not retired - you're still liable to get called up to where the bullets are flying), you shoot for free. Only charge MAY be a range fee, and that depends on the club where the shoot is held. Harvard, for example, has no range fee. Leyden honors the Appleseed schedule - if you're a guy over 20 and not an official, reenactor and not in the military, you pay the range fee.

I friggin love shoot offs. We should have more of these. I think moving forward we should take all efights to the range.

He already looks silly after his little tirade. If he doesn't show, Derek should change his username to bostonasshat.

Motion seconded !

Hmmm.... what if we make this a match between BA and Abby Oakley, our resident young lady sharp shooter?

BA... every been beaten by a girl???

Abby'd kick his ass with a pink Hello Kitty 10/22 ! My money's on the little girl.

He claims to live within walking distance of MF&G.

He bitched about money to attend an NES Shoot at MF&G. Fred offered to pay his range fee, loan him a rifle and give him the ammo. BA was still a "no show" with excuses. It's just his style . . . Tom Rush (folk singer from 1960s) has a Mid-West term for it "All hat, no cattle!" . . . fits here perfectly.

Well, expect to hear either crickets or a number of lame excuses.

So this isn't the first time he's been called out on this ?
[thinking]<--- My shocked face.

Well he's found the thread;

Thread: TVI Shoot Picture Thread
I quite frankly don't care what you think. Look at the other pictures of him shooti

Somehow I don't see him attending.

If I am able to go to this event, I will have a loaner rifle or 2 you can run. 10/22 or AR, just buy the ammo.

There is no reason he shouldn't. From his perspective, worst case? He's a bad rifle shot and loses a bit of worthless
"internet cred". GOAL gets paid, and he probably gains some respect for at least showing up.

Motion seconded !

Abby'd kick his ass with a pink Hello Kitty 10/22 ! My money's on the little girl.

So this isn't the first time he's been called out on this ?
[thinking]<--- My shocked face.

Well he's found the thread;

Yup, mine too. See my edited reply above on donating to GOAL if he attends and more if Abbey beats his ass.

No, he's said that he'd attend a few NES Shoots and was a "no show" each time. It's his MO! [thinking]

I don't see him doing this either . . . but he's always got a bucket of excuses.

There is no reason he shouldn't. From his perspective, worst case? He's a bad rifle shot and loses a bit of worthless
"internet cred". GOAL gets paid, and he probably gains some respect for at least showing up.

Lots of us are bad rifle shots. [laugh] I still did it with no regrets. Learned some useful skills and realized that "I'm not 20 any more!" [rofl] Reflecting on it after the fact I realized that it was the first time I shot rifle prone since I was ~13 yo (Boy Scout Camp) and had never shot rifle kneeling/sitting before (I've shot pistol in these positions on PD quals and defensive handgun courses however).

Before anyone else PM's me with an offer to up the ante to entice bostonasshat2 into attending please post it here so we can keep a running tally of all the offers. The money's piling up quickly and there are numerous offers of loaner rifles, donated ammo, various memberships and transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom