Bow-Wielding ‘Forest Rambo’ Disarms Four Police Officers, Eludes Massive Manhunt in German Black Forest

He did try. I mean, outside of "NOTHINGISOVER" that scene played REALLLY well with the first-shot ending - Rambo shoots himself in the head. All the movie he's this dark dangerous no-talking dude. In the crying speech, he shows he's a guy who left a lot in Nam and was "normal" once. Shooting himself was the perfect ending to that. Instead, they went for a more hopeful ending. Which led to a franchise. Of 2 movies and 3 (3?) piles of utter crap. (Outside of him vaporizing that guy at 3" with the 50cal. LOL)

I think the ending of Rambo II was just over-written. It was that time. This "we're here and we deserve justice" sort of ending. Like Iron Eagle and other "war" movies from that time. Every Chuck Norris movie since Lone Wolf Look At My MF Bronco McQuade.

I still like Stallone in general.

Part of the problem is that the book First Blood goes off the deep end in the last quarter, where the sheriff starts to telepathically be able to predict Rambo's moves and is able to kill him. It made no sense to me after the first 3/4 which was great (and basically same as the movie). So I think Stallone didn't want to do the weird ending and was forced to improv without the book to follow.

Hunter's books, while really well written, always end up with cartoonesque heroic actions by the main character. Especially since BLS keeps getting older and older.

His books include:

Bob Lee Swagger vs the Yakuza
Bob Lee Swagger vs the JFK Assassination
Bob Lee Swagger vs The Russians
Bob Lee Swagger vs. NASCAR
Bob Lee Swagger vs. Carlos Hathcock
Earl Swagger vs. The Mob
Earl Swagger vs. Castro
Earl Swagger vs. Negro Prison Camp (it's a period piece so negro is the proper term)

Yakuza one was pretty funny. He's about 800 years old and gets the best of an expert swordsman. LOL

You read those novels and then look at Hunter and go ????? He's nothing like his heroes in the books. Smart guy. Again, GREAT writer. But always a ton of over-the-topped-ness.

I don't think I've read any of his books but I grew up reading his movie reviews in the Baltimore Sun. :)
I grew up in the county that was the setting for the Bob Lee Swagger series.

I lol'd all over the place.

Hunter's books, while really well written, always end up with cartoonesque heroic actions by the main character.
That's why I don't think they're well written.

But his WRITING is good. His plot is not great, but his dialog is excellent (compared to, say, Clive Cussler who has not a clue how to get his characters to talk.) and his descriptions are excellent. Hence, his writing is good. Plots are a bit silly. I still find myself reading them (once) because the writing is worth reading.

Back
Top Bottom