• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

What would be awesome, rifle rated indoor range.
Or at least .223/5.56
Not going to happen. Also the distance isn't really suitable for using a rifle with sights/optics. Small building/range isn't even 25 yds and to make the building footprint larger would kill a good part of the parking lot unless they could expand behind the current building. I'd also expect Messina to protest any enlargement of the facility and he has a lot of political clout in Braintree.

Not going to happen. Also the distance isn't really suitable for using a rifle with sights/optics. Small building/range isn't even 25 yds and to make the building footprint larger would kill a good part of the parking lot unless they could expand behind the current building. I'd also expect Messina to protest any enlargement of the facility and he has a lot of political clout in Braintree.
Frank passed in 2017 and Frank jr this year, but the company is still around and you are correct that they would probably make a stink.

I’d be fine with allowing PCCs indoors. Not sure I want 5.56 a bay over from me.
I've been at AFS when people were shooting ARs, not pleasant regardless of how good your hearing protection is.

BR&P has top-notch sound-deadening (and fire-resistant) foam on the walls, but if you are beside someone shooting hi-power rifle you will likely not enjoy it.

I've been at AFS when people were shooting ARs, not pleasant regardless of how good your hearing protection is.

BR&P has top-notch sound-deadening (and fire-resistant) foam on the walls, but if you are beside someone shooting hi-power rifle you will likely not enjoy it.
Completely agree Len. All it takes is someone with a 12ga to park next to you at MFS and ruin your day. I’m sure high power rifle is worse.

44 magnum a couple lanes over at BRP not too pleasant either
I was 3 lanes over in the old range (before more recent renovations) when someone let loose with a S&W 500. I could feel the concussion from where I was standing. Everyone else including myself cleared out of the range until that person was done!

What would be awesome, rifle rated indoor range.
Or at least .223/5.56
Without knowing the feasibility there are 5 areas I’d love to see improvement on that seems like it was discussed in the meeting -
1) “Better” indoor range - see Granite State where it allows rifle caliber, better lightning, etc. Maybe we are doing this?
2) Self-service or longer outdoor range - see Tiverton Rod & Gun where no range officer required and 200 yards.
3) Upgrade trap house - seems like they may be doing this? Could be a real differentiator.
4) Better pistol range with metal targets. Some guy proposed this but I guess the old leadership are too penny pinching.
5) Face lift. Seriously, it’s amazing how old and crappy everything looks. I feel embarrassed to bring my family.

Feel like the leadership skews old and all the young guys voices aren’t heard.

Sincerely, a newer member.

5) Face lift. Seriously, it’s amazing how old and crappy everything looks. I feel embarrassed to bring my family.
I'm surprised the VCT flooring hasn't been ripped out for vinyl plank with a thick wear layer. It looks better and pays for itself from not having to strip and wax the tile a couple of times a year. Same thing with swapping all the remaining lighting which already hasn't been upgraded from florescent to LED. Upfront cost that eventually pays for itself in savings and looks better. Ditto for replacing the faucets, toilet/urinal flushometers with more efficient ones in any locations which haven't been updated in the past decade. Most of that is small stuff, but it makes a difference.

Without knowing the feasibility there are 5 areas I’d love to see improvement on that seems like it was discussed in the meeting -
1) “Better” indoor range - see Granite State where it allows rifle caliber, better lightning, etc. Maybe we are doing this?
2) Self-service or longer outdoor range - see Tiverton Rod & Gun where no range officer required and 200 yards.
3) Upgrade trap house - seems like they may be doing this? Could be a real differentiator.
4) Better pistol range with metal targets. Some guy proposed this but I guess the old leadership are too penny pinching.

Feel like the leadership skews old and all the young guys voices aren’t heard.

Sincerely, a newer member.
I was a 20 yr member before moving to NH. I attended almost every meeting, and have a pretty good understanding of the club management. So I'll offer some insight to your points.

1. Noise and "blast" make rifles unlikely indoors . . . very uncomfortable for others on the range. Rifles also need to stretch out more than 25 yds (new clubhouse range).
2. Not every likely again. That horse left the barn with the bullets striking Carradona's warehouse, the USPO, etc. and NRA "range experts" who reviewed the range and were aghast that (up until that time) we allowed shooting without range officers present. That report was given to the local PD and ROs became a requirement that IMNSHO will never be lifted. If you search here on NES you might find a few of my posts with a lot more detail about what happened and when.
4. This club is anything but penny-pinching. They spend a ton of money on maintenance and upgrading things that the management (which includes a BOD member whose job is to bring member issues in front of the BOD) feel are good to do or needed. There was steel on the middle pistol range that got a lot of use. I don't know what might have happened to it or what decisions have been made since I left the club.

No club is perfect, they all have room for some improvements, so if you attend the meetings and speak up, maybe some things will get addressed.

2. Not every likely again. That horse left the barn with the bullets striking Carradona's warehouse, the USPO, etc. and NRA "range experts" who reviewed the range and were aghast that (up until that time) we allowed shooting without range officers present. That report was given to the local PD and ROs became a requirement that IMNSHO will never be lifted. If you search here on NES you might find a few of my posts with a lot more detail about what happened and when.
4. This club is anything but penny-pinching. They spend a ton of money on maintenance and upgrading things that the management (which includes a BOD member whose job is to bring member issues in front of the BOD) feel are good to do or needed. There was steel on the middle pistol range that got a lot of use. I don't know what might have happened to it or what decisions have been made since I left the club.

2. Do those comments also extend to safe shooting distance (i.e., 100yd maximum and/or no room for a separate longer range)? I’ve heard the RSO reasoning a few times, and I can’t see that being lifted either with all the residential housing abutting the property
4. Hearsay again, but I heard the backstop in that area needed to be rebuilt (and all the lead removed). It was no longer safe to shoot at.

2. Do those comments also extend to safe shooting distance (i.e., 100yd maximum and/or no room for a separate longer range)? I’ve heard the RSO reasoning a few times, and I can’t see that being lifted either with all the residential housing abutting the property
4. Hearsay again, but I heard the backstop in that area needed to be rebuilt (and all the lead removed). It was no longer safe to shoot at.
#2, the club has a buffer zone as conservation land. Longer distance shooting may be possible with an investment and a no-sky system .
#4, the backstops are harvested for recyclables, dressed/groomed, and rebuilt on a regular basis. Annual rainfall and wind erodes them each year requiring routine maintenance.

The original demolished clubhouse in 1957, which is why the jog in the road is there on the way to the outdoor ranges and those septic structures in the middle of nowhere. The current "old" clubhouse dates to the 1960s.
1957.png

Last edited:
#2, the club has a buffer zone as conservation land. Longer distance shooting may be possible with an investment and a no-sky system .
#4, the backstops are harvested for recyclables, dressed/groomed, and rebuilt on a regular basis. Annual rainfall and wind erodes them each year requiring routine maintenance.
Understood, thank you!

I was a 20 yr member before moving to NH. I attended almost every meeting, and have a pretty good understanding of the club management. So I'll offer some insight to your points.

1. Noise and "blast" make rifles unlikely indoors . . . very uncomfortable for others on the range. Rifles also need to stretch out more than 25 yds (new clubhouse range).

No club is perfect, they all have room for some improvements, so if you attend the meetings and speak up, maybe some things will get addressed.
Steel is being researched and "Bunker" ideas to keep any bullets from leaving the ranges

Lol if you get a real person to pickup please let me know
Yes, good luck with that. If you call the payphone in the new clubhouse you might stand a chance of someone answering. If you call the advertised number it is in the locked office upstairs and goes to an answering machine that likely only gets checked about once/week.

I've read I can get a memership for my spouse for an extra $25.00 a year. I couldn't find any info about it on BR&P web site. Any idea how I add that? Is there a form to fill out and send in? Also do we get a second badge/keypass? Thanks.
Yes, you have her fill out the form, attend an orientation and they will tell her to pay the $25 fee for a spouse membership. She'll get her own badge. My Wife was a spouse member of BR&P for many years before we moved.

A simple way to see If the outdoor range is open or closed before driving there would be great.
Sorry but physically impossible. Phones are in the clubhouses. Ranges are probably 1/4 mile away up that driveway, so you can't see if they are open. You might hear if someone is shooting, but that is as good as it could get. When I was an RO at BR&P I always told people to bring handguns as well for the "just in case". My shift was the same time as the monthly CMP matches, so the rifle range was not available until they were done with the match.

A simple way to see If the outdoor range is open or closed before driving there would be great.
Seconded. Even a part of the website that showed current status (limited or not to members). A webcam would work showing the gate to the outdoor ranges… while simple, I don’t like the data privacy implications of having a live cam showing everyone accessing the range (whether or not access is limited).

Another idea would be a crowdsourced page where if anyone goes, post status if it’s open or closed. It won’t be perfect, but I assume most people who go have a smartphone and wouldn’t mind making a 2min update to help other members out. Hell, even a separate thread here for range status. Post if it’s open or closed.

Sorry but physically impossible. Phones are in the clubhouses. Ranges are probably 1/4 mile away up that driveway, so you can't see if they are open. You might hear if someone is shooting, but that is as good as it could get. When I was an RO at BR&P I always told people to bring handguns as well for the "just in case". My shift was the same time as the monthly CMP matches, so the rifle range was not available until they were done with the match.
Red RSO indicator light that gets turned on when an RSO is on duty? Radio calls back to the clubhouse to update to the website (with some disclaimer that the the status updates every X minutes and may not be 100% accurate) and also displays a light in the main parking lot so when people pull in it's a clear YES/NO?

Seconded. Even a part of the website that showed current status (limited or not to members). A webcam would work showing the gate to the outdoor ranges… while simple, I don’t like the data privacy implications of having a live cam showing everyone accessing the range (whether or not access is limited).

A webcam would not have to show everyone accessing the range. It could be tightly focussed on the "range open/closed" sign itself. Everything else would not be in the frame, or would just be a blur.

I remember hearing the Bd talking about installing cams around the property in the past year or two, so maybe this is in the works.

This may not be correct, but I also recollect hearing that the steel targets that were at the outdoor pistol range for a while were removed because someone had some ricochet issues.

As for the facilities in general, the newer clubhouse still looks perfectly acceptable, and the smaller one offers old school vibe. I like them both. This is a working class nonprofit club. It's not supposed to be ridiculously posh, like the Weston club.

Raspberry Pi and a button that triggers a script that posts alerts to Twitter would be sufficient, and would avoid the privacy concerns of a webcam. I might put this together just for fun this weekend.

Does that assume everybody uses Twitter? Because not everybody does. In fact, I suspect a vast majority of the active users of the club do not use Twitter.

Does that assume everybody uses Twitter? Because not everybody does. In fact, I suspect a vast majority of the active users of the club do not use Twitter.
I don’t have an account, but one isn’t needed to view a lot of content. It could be a feed on the BRP site and anyone can view it just as easy as they view the current site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom