Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

A webcam would not have to show everyone accessing the range. It could be tightly focussed on the "range open/closed" sign itself. Everything else would not be in the frame, or would just be a blur.
True on the webcam, as long as it never shows plates, but the below idea may be simpler.

Raspberry Pi and a button that triggers a script that posts alerts to Twitter would be sufficient, and would avoid the privacy concerns of a webcam. I might put this together just for fun this weekend.
This would be awesome, and a much simpler solution (from a tech/infrastructure and data privacy perspective). Anything I can do to help, let me know.

Does that assume everybody uses Twitter? Because not everybody does. In fact, I suspect a vast majority of the active users of the club do not use Twitter.

Embedding a Twitter feed on the club website would be stupid easy. No need for anyone to actually go to or login to Twitter. Any platform that allows posting via an API would be sufficient.

Edit: Really this comes down to what the ROs are willing to do. They're already volunteering their time (and I'm not) so really it depends on what they're comfortable with doing. It def would be a value add for members to be able to check the status of the outdoor ranges online, so in my mind this would be one of the (among several) simpler options.

Last edited:
Had a good time at the old indoor range today. It was better than I remembered but could just be that the folks next to me were shooting .22lr and 9mm.

Was surprised to see the "new" indoor range was packed and closed for some sort of competition. It wasn't on the online calendar so was a bit disappointed it wasn't communicated. I am glad that we have 2 ranges but concerned if 1 is being upgraded that I won't have a backup plan.

I looked over the rules and didn’t see anything, but is a member required to have an LTC to join? I have a friend that wants to join for the archery range. She’s going to call on Sunday but I figured I would ask here first.

I looked over the rules and didn’t see anything, but is a member required to have an LTC to join? I have a friend that wants to join for the archery range. She’s going to call on Sunday but I figured I would ask here first.
I would have her email instead of call.

Embedding a Twitter feed on the club website would be stupid easy. No need for anyone to actually go to or login to Twitter. Any platform that allows posting via an API would be sufficient.

Edit: Really this comes down to what the ROs are willing to do. They're already volunteering their time (and I'm not) so really it depends on what they're comfortable with doing. It def would be a value add for members to be able to check the status of the outdoor ranges online, so in my mind this would be one of the (among several) simpler options.
So how can we make this happen? I’m not a big tech guy. But it Would be AMAZING to have something non-invasive, privacy sensitive just a simple icon on the website “as of right now outdoor range is OPEN/CLOSED”.

So how can we make this happen? I’m not a big tech guy. But it Would be AMAZING to have something non-invasive, privacy sensitive just a simple icon on the website “as of right now outdoor range is OPEN/CLOSED”.
Contact Eric and pitch your suggestion at a BOD meeting.

Thank you! Are the outdoor ranges usually open on the weekends? I want to shoot my AR but don’t want to show up and be disappointed haha
It has been hit or miss over the winter, but I also don’t go every weekend so it could just be my luck/timing. I’ve found afternoons better, but again that’s only my individual experience.

It has been hit or miss over the winter, but I also don’t go every weekend so it could just be my luck/timing. I’ve found afternoons better, but again that’s only my individual experience.
Good to know thanks. If someone were to volunteer as a RO are they then technically able to shoot on the outdoor range anytime? Asking for a friend of course.

Thank you! Are the outdoor ranges usually open on the weekends? I want to shoot my AR but don’t want to show up and be disappointed haha
Typically yes, but the ROs are all volunteers and many are older folks, so weather, health issues and personal commitments can change things for any given day.

If they are still running CMP matches during COVID, don't bother showing up to use the rifle range on the 3rd Saturday until after 1PM.
Good to know thanks. If someone were to volunteer as a RO are they then technically able to shoot on the outdoor range anytime? Asking for a friend of course.
The answer is No! The question was asked back when I was an RO before I moved to NH.

Typically yes, but the ROs are all volunteers and many are older folks, so weather, health issues and personal commitments can change things for any given day.

If they are still running CMP matches during COVID, don't bother showing up to use the rifle range on the 3rd Saturday until after 1PM.

The answer is No! The question was asked back when I was an RO before I moved to NH.
Thanks for the info! Last question, do you know if they will allow a CAA MCK adapter on the indoor range? Basically a stabilizer for a pistol but looks like a carbine and I ran into an issue with it at a different range. Here it is if you have never heard of it: MCK | Micro Conversion Kit (Glock)

Thanks for the info! Last question, do you know if they will allow a CAA MCK adapter on the indoor range? Basically a stabilizer for a pistol but looks like a carbine and I ran into an issue with it at a different range. Here it is if you have never heard of it: MCK | Micro Conversion Kit (Glock)
I don't know, so I recommend that you query Zoo (Ron Zooleck). I think he is still the person handling member issues and he's in charge of the ROs. I resigned from the club after moving to NH, so I don't have direct knowledge of any current rules (if they have changed . . . and they don't usually change very often).

I wonder what the increase on an annual membership would be if they hired a full time RO or two. Or even if they just had a few guaranteed coverage hours each day. The unpredictability of the RO situation at the outdoor ranges is absurd.

I wonder what the increase on an annual membership would be if they hired a full time RO or two. Or even if they just had a few guaranteed coverage hours each day. The unpredictability of the RO situation at the outdoor ranges is absurd.
Volunteer to help out! There are ~7,000 members, so BR&P doesn't have to do anything to recruit more members. The dues covers expenses, capital improvements and leaves a healthy nest egg for unforeseen issues.

I’m not a member anymore. Too many trips to shoot on a nice day only to find the gate locked.

It’s not about recruiting more members - the proximity to Boston takes care of that, with none of the hassle that comes with actually having them show up to shoot - it’s about treating the members you already have right.

7,000 members x $10/yr = full time range officer.

Ditto what Len said. PCCs are only allowed on the outdoor rifle range, but I’m unsure where that would fall. Ron will give you the correct answer and he’s the chief RSO.

Ditto what Len said. PCCs are only allowed on the outdoor rifle range, but I’m unsure where that would fall. Ron will give you the correct answer and he’s the chief RSO.
Yeah curious to find out. Because it doesn’t change the barrel of the pistol or anything so you are essentially still just shooting a pistol. I sent them an email

Yeah curious to find out. Because it doesn’t change the barrel of the pistol or anything so you are essentially still just shooting a pistol. I sent them an email

I saw someone on the old indoor range last weekend using that exact same CAA kit, and wondered the same thing.

Rules are usually made for the stupid not the smart. So even if we know that the CAA is just a chassis for the Glock using the same barrel and doesn't affect the backstop any differently than a stock Glock, some moron might see it and think it's cool to break out their Hi Point carbine, AR, or shotgun.

Almost every time I run into Zoo he tells me some story of how someone got caught trying to shoot buckshot or a non-22lr rifle on the new indoor range, so I could totally see them adhering to a blanket rule that even the stupid can understand.

I saw someone on the old indoor range last weekend using that exact same CAA kit, and wondered the same thing.

Rules are usually made for the stupid not the smart. So even if we know that the CAA is just a chassis for the Glock using the same barrel and doesn't affect the backstop any differently than a stock Glock, some moron might see it and think it's cool to break out their Hi Point carbine, AR, or shotgun.

Almost every time I run into Zoo he tells me some story of how someone got caught trying to shoot buckshot or a non-22lr rifle on the new indoor range, so I could totally see them adhering to a blanket rule that even the stupid can understand.
Confirmed that the CAA MCK is allowed on the indoor range. Just be aware you might get asked about it and just explain it’s not a carbine

Back
Top Bottom