• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club

Maybe if BRP required all members perform a RO detail at least once per year we could get 100% coverage. Make sport of the RO's all you like but they are volunteers. Most are older retired guys and do far more for the club than all the criers here. BRP has no required work parties, no required meeting attendance, no requirements at all except you pay $150/year and follow the club rules. $150 today is a pittance. I belong to 3 clubs so if ranges at one are under maintenance or closed I could just go to another one. If you are a volunteer RO and you show up to shoot and no one is there YOU can open the ranges yourself. Just be prepared to be there for a shift, not 20 minutes. I've done it myself many times. We have the RO's for very specific reasons that I'm not detailing here. Want to ask about it, come to a meeting. Want to bitch, come to a meeting. Want to volunteer, come to a meeting. Want free dinner, come to a meeting. Are the RO's a PITA? Sometimes yeah. But you can only watch so many spodes sweep the entire parking lot with a loaded rifle before you'd get a little jumpy too. They are NRA RO certified. BRP isn't the end all be all of ranges but string together a few good local places yields the perfect mixture for me. Want to shoot outdoors unencumbered at all hours to your hearts content? Move to Wyoming. Not crowded, anti-gun suburban Boston. BTW it's -10 degrees F this morning at the range. Don't expect a 75+YO guy to stand outside waiting for the off chance someone wants to shoot outdoors today.

I still think making the RO function a (poorly) paid job should be considered if it hasn’t already been. You wouldn’t need much from each member to hire a bunch of guys PT at minimum wage, as a hobby job.

Of course the need for an RO in the first place isn’t BRP’s fault, but it still gets weighed against the club when considering the alternatives.

I still think making the RO function a (poorly) paid job should be considered if it hasn’t already been. You wouldn’t need much from each member to hire a bunch of guys PT at minimum wage, as a hobby job.

Of course the need for an RO in the first place isn’t BRP’s fault, but it still gets weighed against the club when considering the alternatives.
It's not quite that simple. The club doesn't have employees. It's not a business. We would much prefer to not have employees and that entails.

If the RO's were paid then the club would be subject to OSHA, which means a lot more compliance paperwork, training, insurance, etc. costs that add to overhead even though the club already is meeting or exceeding the hazardous materials cleanliness regulations for shooting ranges.

If the RO's were paid then the club would be subject to OSHA, which means a lot more compliance paperwork, training, insurance, etc. costs that add to overhead even though the club already is meeting or exceeding the hazardous materials cleanliness regulations for shooting ranges.

I don’t think so if they’re 1099s, or have fewer than 10 employees.

Going from 0 paid employees to 1 paid employee is a huge deal. All sorts of costs and expenses come with that decision.

Maybe if BRP required all members perform a RO detail at least once per year we could get 100% coverage. Make sport of the RO's all you like but they are volunteers. Most are older retired guys and do far more for the club than all the criers here. BRP has no required work parties, no required meeting attendance, no requirements at all except you pay $150/year and follow the club rules. $150 today is a pittance. I belong to 3 clubs so if ranges at one are under maintenance or closed I could just go to another one. If you are a volunteer RO and you show up to shoot and no one is there YOU can open the ranges yourself. Just be prepared to be there for a shift, not 20 minutes. I've done it myself many times. We have the RO's for very specific reasons that I'm not detailing here. Want to ask about it, come to a meeting. Want to bitch, come to a meeting. Want to volunteer, come to a meeting. Want free dinner, come to a meeting. Are the RO's a PITA? Sometimes yeah. But you can only watch so many spodes sweep the entire parking lot with a loaded rifle before you'd get a little jumpy too. They are NRA RO certified. BRP isn't the end all be all of ranges but string together a few good local places yields the perfect mixture for me. Want to shoot outdoors unencumbered at all hours to your hearts content? Move to Wyoming. Not crowded, anti-gun suburban Boston. BTW it's -10 degrees F this morning at the range. Don't expect a 75+YO guy to stand outside waiting for the off chance someone wants to shoot outdoors today.
Well stated Mike!

As a former BR&P RO, I can tell you that they are needed due to too many members (and guests) that have poor safety practices. As a volunteer operation, largely staffed by older guys, sometimes medical appointments, family emergencies, etc. occur and coverage may be missing. If one has a problem with that, you can always step up and volunteer.

So many club members dont get how most clubs work.
The more rhe club needs to pay out , pay RO for example is one more more entity/prying eyes and source for coruption.
One club I belong to its a sort of standard: you complain/bitch/or want change you will be nominated to run that committee needed to fix the issue. Often puts a end to the issue.

Braintree might consider having a NRA RO course at the club and get more people on board?
Maybe even a club requirement upon initiation????
Most clubs its the same 10% actually using the facilities and maybe 5% of them volenteering.
When I was single no kids I volunteered for everything. Now 50 plus years old , kids are older and off doing their own thing Im looking to get back at being at the club for more than a quick range trip or a once a month match of some type

Can't just 1099 regular employees and call them sub-contractors. The strip clubs lost that argument in court to a class action by the strippers. It you are required to be on-site for regular hours you are an employee.
Hairdressers I think have the same precedent.

So many club members dont get how most clubs work.
The more rhe club needs to pay out , pay RO for example is one more more entity/prying eyes and source for coruption.
One club I belong to its a sort of standard: you complain/bitch/or want change you will be nominated to run that committee needed to fix the issue. Often puts a end to the issue.

Braintree might consider having a NRA RO course at the club and get more people on board?
Most clubs its the same 10% actually using the facilities and maybe 5% of them volenteering.
When I was single no kids I volunteered for everything. Now 50 plus years old , kids are older and off doing their own thing Im looking to get back at being at the club for more than a quick range trip or a once a month match of some type
We have NRA RO classes for our RO's. That how they get certified. We have about 20% regular users and about 30 volunteers. Not 30%, 30/6000. And those same 30 do everything. The other 5770 just seemingly bitch about the work those 30 actually do.

Can't just 1099 regular employees and call them sub-contractors. The strip clubs lost that argument in court to a class action by the strippers. It you are required to be on-site for regular hours you are an employee. Strippers take it off ... off payroll, that is.

That’s not the worker classification criteria/test, and you’re not converting regular employees (you have none). Have been dealing with this topic first hand at work for a long time now.

Whatever. For some of us the RO situation was too much and we had to change clubs. If it works for you and the members more power to you.

The 10 employees or less only gives the employer exemption from some of the OSHA reporting logs. It does not exempt the employer from the general duty clause.

"employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees..."

Can't just 1099 regular employees and call them sub-contractors. The strip clubs lost that argument in court to a class action by the strippers. It you are required to be on-site for regular hours you are an employee. Strippers take it off ... off payroll, that is.
Any chance we could get Strippers to be Range Officers?
That would be sweet.

BR&P has run NRA RO courses. I was in the first one that the club ran after they mandated ROs on the range after a few incidents that we were accused of.

Sorry to say that I left BR&P when I bought my NH house, but we had 7K members and were accepting ~100 new members each month. NOT practical to force every new member to become an RO or attend a RO class. Nor is there a need for thousands of ROs at any club.

Any chance we could get Strippers to be Range Officers?
That would be sweet.
That would lead to more unsafe actions on the range!! [laugh]

If you are going to be an RO, be sure your personal liability insurance and club insurance covers you. You will not be able to stop accidents, suicides, or malfeasance - just reduce the chance. But it you have assets, you WILL be a target if something happens.

For your personal liability/homeowners/unbrella coverage - there is a decent chance you are covered if it is a volunteer activity. Accept any payment, and you may find yourself covered by an "acts taken as part of your employment" exclusion.

Club insurance should indemnify not only club officers but "persons acting on behalf of the club", This does not totally protect you as the per incident limit is almost certainly in aggregate, not per club actor sued.

I know many exclusively use the outdoor rifle range, but I always plan ahead with indoor range toys too. In case outdoor is closed it’s not a wasted trip. Many times I get either of the indoor ranges to myself, so not too upset if outdoor closed.

I know many exclusively use the outdoor rifle range, but I always plan ahead with indoor range toys too. In case outdoor is closed it’s not a wasted trip. Many times I get either of the indoor ranges to myself, so not too upset if outdoor closed.
That's the advice I was given as well (from members, and multiple posts here). I at least fit into the category of an outdoor shooter and it's the entire reason why I joined. So agreed with others, the notification system online would have me on the range a lot more often.

I’d settle for something on their website that has a current status of whether the outdoor is open.
Not possible.

Only one or two people have access to update the website and there are usually 2 shifts/day, so frequently nobody knows if the RO didn't make it unless they look at the range during the shift. Remember the ranges are ~1/2 mile away from the clubhouse, so there is no way to tell from the clubhouse.

Not possible.

Only one or two people have access to update the website and there are usually 2 shifts/day, so frequently nobody knows if the RO didn't make it unless they look at the range during the shift. Remember the ranges are ~1/2 mile away from the clubhouse, so there is no way to tell from the clubhouse.
Can’t even make a twitter account for ROs to use?

A check in/check out scanner for RSOs ID cards at the ranges maybe using a cellular internet connection?

Not possible.

Automated with computers. No logging in or making any changes.

Not possible.

I believe you can see from the second floor of the clubhouse if the closed sign is out there or not. Last I looked anyway.

What others said, once the feature is added to the site, it could be updated by a range of people that don’t need admin to the website. Just like we don’t need admin rights to post on a forum. For it to work, it would need to be as simple as clicking a button on a phone for any chance to have this regularly updated.

Back
Top Bottom