Built some homemade 1911 stands, so thought I'd show my 1911 collection

I built some 1911 stands out of mild steel plating for the base and square tubing for mag opening. I painted them black and then wrapped every metal surface with black duct tape to prevent any surfaces from scratching the guns. I figured I would just post pics of my MODEST 1911's for those that enjoy the Gun Gallery as much as I do. Pics are crappy cell phone with bad lighting, so my apologies. I will be adding posts below for each gun, so in the end there should be about 7 guns shown (for those that only see pics before I finish posting them all)

. photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Colt Defender with Custom Bronze coating

y1.jpg y2.jpg y3.jpg y4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!!

Don't know what is more impressive - the stands or the nice collection you have going.
Guess this is a reminder to me to start my 1911 collection.

Nice set of 1911s. Probably my favorite hand gun.

I would probably skip the cheap plastidip and look for some of that vinyl tool grip stuff if you want to take them that far.

I think that's more than a modest collection, especially given you started this year!! Nice!! Keep on keep'in on!!!

Thanks! Although I cringe a little when I see how much I spent on 1911's... Let alone the other 6 handguns, shotgun and AR15 I bought over the last 5 months too!

Care to give a mini-review of how your 1911's perform? Love my Sig TTT but have never shot another .45 so can't compare. Quality? Reliability? Handling/feel? Accuracy?

Thanks. Nice job on the stands.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ok...

Sig Target - shoots great... Have an occasional failure to chamber properly.. Although that happened in the first 100 rds... Haven't had any issues over the last 100 rds. Enjoyable gun with adj sites, black coating is ultra strong. Gun feels tight and has a 5.5# trigger.

Springfield TRP - havent shot it yet, but it looks and feels awesome! A little tougher to rack the slide compared to the other 1911's. The front checkering really bites into your hand when you grab it firmly.

Dan Wesson - nothing but quality... All parts appear to be CNC machined, sight are fairly accurate for a production gun with fixed sights (night sights). Gun is ultra smooth to rack and has a 3.5# trigger.

Colt Gold Cup Nation Match also has an ultra smooth slide. Not a fan of the split bushings that expands around the barrel, but it shoots nice and has a 5# trigger with adj sights.

Colt Defender Plus - full sized grip on a short barreled 1911. Gun is fairl accurate for fiddle sights, trigger lights off @ 5.5#. takes full sized mags. Take down is like taking down a plastic gun (internal bushing and spring is assembled onto barrel. Overall a nice gun.

Kimber Pro Aegis II in 9mm. Fixed night sights are dead on from the factory. Gun is beautiful a d probably is the secured in my eyes. The rails that the slide and frame ride on need to be ultra clean or you will have FTE's or weak ejections. The one dislike is the internal bushing requires a take down too for disassembly. Not terribly hard, but regular 1911's with the external bushing can be taken down without tools.

Para P14.45 - High capacity... What else needs to be said :) fixed sights were terrible and shot high. I bought adj rear sight and still couldn't get the sight down enough to bring the point of impact down (still shot high). Put a red dot on and now it shoots great. No failures in the 100 or so rds I have shot. Trigger is also in the mid 5# range if I recall when I measured it.

That trp isnt brokrn in yet. Its a bank vault.

Wait til you shoot it. It will change what you think is acceptable for a prouction line gun.

Nice collection Jon and the stands are really nice! I am trying to reduce my little herd by one tomorrow and focus on reloading equipment since I love my current collection.

I started making some stands for my other guns to better organize my safe.

Pictured are a couple stands (one for my Glock 30 SF and Ruger SR9c)

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 16
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg