Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Has any one tried 230gr cast bullets in 30-06? I’ve been shooting 160gr lee 314 sized down to 309 with no leading. 19gr of 2400 is a great load but I was thinking of trying some heavier bullets and I have some poured for the 300BO that are coming in around 230gr. I was going to start around 13-14gr and slowly work my way up till I find the sweet spot.

My 308 cast is seated longer, with the crimp groove showing, no issues with that. Seating deeper, way further than the shoulder, I wonder because it is lead rather than jacketed, you may want to gas check? I know jacketed long-ass Barnes are seated deep, past shoulder, and other than reducing powder for pressure reasons, no issues.

My 308 cast is seated longer, with the crimp groove showing, no issues with that. Seating deeper, way further than the shoulder, I wonder because it is lead rather than jacketed, you may want to gas check? I know jacketed long-ass Barnes are seated deep, past shoulder, and other than reducing powder for pressure reasons, no issues.
Careful with seating deep and gas checks. I’ve heard rumors of unsupported gas checks falling off below the neck and causing issue.

It sounded good but now I have another question…. Do I have to use the crimp groove or can I seat them deeper? Anyone see an issue here or am I good to go. These will be loaded on the light side and will only go out to a 100 yards. Mosin dies should be here any hour now.

View attachment 851668
No need for crimp groove. Just be aware of case capacity , also as mentioned any gas checks can fall off inside the neck.
Looks like a plain base bullet there. What is your AOL ? That looks short?

View attachment 851974

My first 7.62 54r’s which I used a single stage to load… first time.
I load all rifle on single stage.
223 bulk on lee pro 1000
I sold off all my 54r rifles and loading equipment for it.
No real love for it.
200 grain cast load with 2400 did as well as the bores allowed.
Lyman mild 299313 iirc reduced H4895 did well also.

No need for crimp groove. Just be aware of case capacity , also as mentioned any gas checks can fall off inside the neck.
Looks like a plain base bullet there. What is your AOL ? That looks short?
I ended up pulling that round so I could use the case to measure the powder for the 7.62 54r. It was measuring around 3.05ish and it looked off. I found a couple bags of coated 160gr that I’ll shoot off first.

As I am in the process of getting the right bullet size for my 9mm, I have dragged my feet on getting the M type dies to help seat a .358 bullet. It turns out that there have been two additional options added to the market in the last couple months or so. NOE has started selling expanders that fit in the Lee expanders in all different sizes. They are also very inexpensive (and shipping is extremely reasonable). It turns out that Lee has also started producing these. I just saw a video this morning on it. Essentially, they are replacing the standard expander with an M type expander. (For the NOE, I got the .362 x .358 expander which opens the case to .358 and then can flare the case mouth to .362. Expanders | NOE Bullet Moulds

Here's the video discussing the Lee expanders (it's a bit long but if you skip near the end he talks about his conversation with Lee.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npPg9Wlejz8

As I am in the process of getting the right bullet size for my 9mm, I have dragged my feet on getting the M type dies to help seat a .358 bullet. It turns out that there have been two additional options added to the market in the last couple months or so. NOE has started selling expanders that fit in the Lee expanders in all different sizes. They are also very inexpensive (and shipping is extremely reasonable). It turns out that Lee has also started producing these. I just saw a video this morning on it. Essentially, they are replacing the standard expander with an M type expander. (For the NOE, I got the .362 x .358 expander which opens the case to .358 and then can flare the case mouth to .362. Expanders | NOE Bullet Moulds

Here's the video discussing the Lee expanders (it's a bit long but if you skip near the end he talks about his conversation with Lee.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npPg9Wlejz8

Those things are so bloody cheap I should buy a couple and see if I can easily convert to powder through expanders.

Another dumb question but… I can replace the existing m die that I have sitting in my powder die that is blunt (30-06) with the appropriate size NOE expander and free up station 3 that I’m using for belling the case. This would be amazing if true….

Another dumb question but… I can replace the existing m die that I have sitting in my powder die that is blunt (30-06) with the appropriate size NOE expander and free up station 3 that I’m using for belling the case. This would be amazing if true….
If the existing "M die" you are using (I don't think it is an actual M type die if it is just belling the case) is a Lee, then the NOE expander is made to fit inside of it. I'm going to remove the insert in my Lee powder through die with the NOE expander.

The steps would be:

1) size
2) expand case mouth for bullet (with NOE expander in Lee powder through die)
3) drop powder (could be combined with #2)
4) seat bullet
5) crimp bullet

I currently use the Hornady LnL integrated case expander in the powder drop, but that only bells. As pastera indicated, the goal will be to integrate this NOE expander into the powder drop (He was already doing this as a custom part for the Dillon) if you need to free up a station.

If the existing "M die" you are using (I don't think it is an actual M type die if it is just belling the case) is a Lee, then the NOE expander is made to fit inside of it. I'm going to remove the insert in my Lee powder through die with the NOE expander.

The steps would be:

1) size
2) expand case mouth for bullet (with NOE expander in Lee powder through die)
3) drop powder (could be combined with #2)
4) seat bullet
5) crimp bullet

I currently use the Hornady LnL integrated case expander in the powder drop, but that only bells. As pastera indicated, the goal will be to integrate this NOE expander into the powder drop (He was already doing this as a custom part for the Dillon) if you need to free up a station.
The data that I have is Dillon powder die expander is 14mm diameter (0.551) and Lee is 9/16 (0.5625)
Wouldn't be hard to turn down the Lee to 14mm
Would need the correct number of spacers also turned down - those are much easier to machine since they don't have critical dimensions like the expander itself (much easier to hit ±0.0005 with a multi ton quarter million $$ machine than a home built 150 lb $1K machine).

The data that I have is Dillon powder die expander is 14mm diameter (0.551) and Lee is 9/16 (0.5625)
Wouldn't be hard to turn down the Lee to 14mm
Would need the correct number of spacers also turned down - those are much easier to machine since they don't have critical dimensions like the expander itself (much easier to hit ±0.0005 with a multi ton quarter million $$ machine than a home built 150 lb $1K machine).
Hornady inserts are 0.619 :(

Back
Top Bottom