Cabela's

The whole atmosphere at Cabella's was negative with many posters warning you not to make straw purchases with pictures of jail cells and people in handcuffs. I went back and gave the manager my "hall pass" and eventually left the store with my gun. Can I have that 4 hours of my life back, please ?

So I'm a slow learner and bought the BT-99 at Cabela's web site and went to pick it up tonight.

Stood at the firearms counter with no-one around for almost 20 minutes but after that things improved. I'd asked for a new gun to be shipped to the store but, sure enough, the gun in the box was the display gun complete with many greasy fingerprints. On the upside I had a nice chat with one of the employees who turned out to be a long time member and former President of my club. The paperwork went smoothly-ish and I was out the door in exactly 60 minutes.

So I'm a slow learner and bought the BT-99 at Cabela's web site and went to pick it up tonight.

Stood at the firearms counter with no-one around for almost 20 minutes but after that things improved. I'd asked for a new gun to be shipped to the store but, sure enough, the gun in the box was the display gun complete with many greasy fingerprints. On the upside I had a nice chat with one of the employees who turned out to be a long time member and former President of my club. The paperwork went smoothly-ish and I was out the door in exactly 60 minutes.

I wouldn't stand around any counter for 20 minutes, not for anything!

Here's what I would have done: Pick up my phone and call the store, ask the receptionist to send someone to the gun counter as I'm waiting there and there is nobody here to help me.

>25 yrs ago a group of us DECcies were in a restaurant and the waitress had disappeared for an extraordinary amount of time. One of the guys used his cell phone to call the restaurant from the table and ask to have our MIA waitress come back to the table. It worked!

Here's what I would have done: Pick up my phone and call the store, ask the receptionist to send someone to the gun counter as I'm waiting there and there is nobody here to help me.

I did that. You can't get an actual employee on the line.....but you can be connected to the firearms department. Where there is no-one to answer the phone. [grin]

I did that. You can't get an actual employee on the line.....but you can be connected to the firearms department. Where there is no-one to answer the phone. [grin]

No "customer service" option? That's who to try for to get them to send someone to the gun counter. Hopefully that would work.

>25 yrs ago a group of us DECcies were in a restaurant and the waitress had disappeared for an extraordinary amount of time. One of the guys used his cell phone to call the restaurant from the table and ask to have our MIA waitress come back to the table. It worked!
I do this at Wal-Mart every time I go there and there's nobody to unlock the ammo case I call the store and ask for the manager ,I tell them I have cash to spend and I'd like some assistance in sporting goods to buy ammo. Works like a charm.

The other option is you go right up to the service desk when you go to the store and ask for the sporting goods manager to meet you in SG because you're going to buy ammo...

Excellent strategy.

I do this at Wal-Mart every time I go there and there's nobody to unlock the ammo case I call the store and ask for the manager ,I tell them I have cash to spend and I'd like some assistance in sporting goods to buy ammo. Works like a charm.

I will use this next time I'm waiting for service at Wally World, I've wasted so much time waiting for ammo there.

The other option is you go right up to the service desk when you go to the store and ask for the sporting goods manager to meet you in SG because you're going to buy ammo...

If you can find anyone manning the service desk ...

Just as an FYI to anyone buying gift cards. It looks like SVM has started to run them through their system as cash advances so I am seeing a small fee on my statement. it was only 1.50 and I made the bank remove it but you may want to look at your statement carefully.

EDIT:
Ok after tracking this down it is a PayPal issue and they issued a credit. Just as an FYI, I send SVM an inquiry about this and they answered within 1/2 an hour with the information I needed to resolve the issue

Last edited:
So I've read a lot of the posts here about Cabela's. I live about 6 miles from the Hudson/Berlin store. Given that even FFLs around here have difficulty with the MA gun laws, I don't think we can be too critical about a large company who have a lot of business interest in staying clear of any problem. I recently wanted to purchase a particular shotgun online and had 2 local gun dealers tell me it was illegal in MA (who have been spoken of here very highly) then found a 3rd who said it was OK, ordered and bought now. I appreciate having a place I can to quickly to pick up ammo, targets, supplies etc... I also know folks who have gotten price match on guns with 4S. I have not purchased a firearm there, but they do have a very nice supply of interesting items in the used room, just the basic MA usual stuff at the counter. Excellent supply of ammo, maybe not the cheapest but not a lot of cheap places anyway. Any caliber I need can be had, sometimes decent stuff on sale.

Anyway, I dont think you'll find as much of a variety of ammo, cleaning stuff, targets, cases, etc..... anywhere else around. I am not an employee or anything like that, just another shooter happy to have a place like this in my neighborhood.

So I've read a lot of the posts here about Cabela's. I live about 6 miles from the Hudson/Berlin store. Given that even FFLs around here have difficulty with the MA gun laws, I don't think we can be too critical about a large company who have a lot of business interest in staying clear of any problem. I recently wanted to purchase a particular shotgun online and had 2 local gun dealers tell me it was illegal in MA (who have been spoken of here very highly) then found a 3rd who said it was OK, ordered and bought now. I appreciate having a place I can to quickly to pick up ammo, targets, supplies etc... I also know folks who have gotten price match on guns with 4S. I have not purchased a firearm there, but they do have a very nice supply of interesting items in the used room, just the basic MA usual stuff at the counter. Excellent supply of ammo, maybe not the cheapest but not a lot of cheap places anyway. Any caliber I need can be had, sometimes decent stuff on sale.

Anyway, I dont think you'll find as much of a variety of ammo, cleaning stuff, targets, cases, etc..... anywhere else around. I am not an employee or anything like that, just another shooter happy to have a place like this in my neighborhood.

This^

Not necessarily the cheapest on ammo but usually plenty to choose from from high end carry and hunting loads to the bargain Herters and ppu.

And they currently have a shit ton of .22 so there's that.

I'm a fan. I actually find myself shopping them online more now with a store nearby.

I loathe the day that BPS screws up Cabela's.

I try hard to spread the wealth across LGS and the big chains. It is nice to walk into Cabelas and find all the ammo you want and it's self serve. I bought one gun from them since they opened in Hudson/Berlin because it was a limited edition, they had it in stock, and the price was very competitive. Stupid check out process but the clerks weren't retards. Plus I use their credit card and get the rebates which add up fast. Hopefully BPS leave them the F alone.

Went there again today and as usual they had everything that I needed (reloading supplies). Last time I was there I bought some Hornaday .22cal 55gr fmj's for 7.99 per 100, it was black Saturday. I was at Kittery last week and they had the same product for 14.99. Todays reg. price was 9.99, that is still cheaper than the bulk remington or Winchester fmj's. Imo, Cabelas will always be a big store but they know what we need and they always try to stock it. I personall know 2 people that work in the gun dept. and they are shooters like us.

Picked up a Leupold scope on sale earlier this week there, for $150 it is actually pretty nice. Noticed a change in the bargain cave, there was no shooting stuff and only a couple of scopes

Back
Top Bottom