• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Calling all Browning A5 wizards

45Badger

NES Member
I picked up a sweet A5 this weekend. Belgian made, long tang, round knob, 16 gauge. Very clean with mirror bore. What’s not to love?

I neglected to try barrel removal🤣

The bleeping magazine cap won’t budge. Conan the barbarian screwed it on very tightly. My son with fists of iron and mason level hand and forearm strength said, “I can’t budge it”

I do not want to get rammy with this sweet gun. What is safe penetrating oil and practice to get that puppy loosed up? I don’t to screw up the bluing or wood finish.

Thanks!

If it were me, knowing it's likely I completely screw up the cap, bluing on the barrel and probably crack the forend, I'd leave it alone. Mine reliably shoots slugs and birdshot without dinking with the friction rings, hopefully yours is the same.

Leave it alone, it doesn't need a cleaning, and it won't hurt anything being together.

Compress the barrel in to the action while attempting to loosen. It will take the pressure off.
You pretty much have to do this at normal takedown, part of the procedure. For me at least.

I make a practice of leaving the caps a few clicks loose in the safe....then tightening upon use.

Leaving them super tight, any humidity changes / swelling could result in cracking the foreend at the base where its thin.

Clear it.
Grab the cap and forend and simultaneously drop it butt first to the floor and twist cap. Used to work on my buddy’s old humpback.
Negative IMHO. Dont do that. Verify gun is unloaded obviously.......then stand gun up, push the muzzle down towards reciever with heel of your hand, about 1/2 inch and compress the spring. Then try and turn the cap.

Bouncing the thing off the floor to compress the spring and simo trying to twist the cap at the same time.......is likely a cracked forend recipe, or something else bad.

Back
Top Bottom