Camp Perry Results

Brent, congratulations on your shooting! Great pix, too... I really like the one of you cuddling your AR.

Caption = "A boy and his rifle".

Ross

SiameseRat said:
awesome pics, Brent. I like your medal [wink]

Though I have to ask: Do you ever take pics without adding at least one booty shot in the string? [laugh]

Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't enjoy that!!! She was at the ATM! [rofl]

A Question for Brent

Brent,

Would you mind sharing what your competition setup is? From rifle to gear?
I have never shot rifle competitively in my life except for qualifying in the
military and that was simply shooting for score, not against anyone in
particular (although it was pretty competitive at that time between the
various platoons, companies, etc). I am just interested in understanding
what you put into this from an equipment standpoint. I realize that the
equipment is only as good as the shooter, but the opposite is true as well,
so instead of asking you what kind of personal effort you put into your
I thought I would start with just the equipment. I'll save the other question
for later.

Thanks,

TBP

This is pretty much my complete setup. There are many other vendors out there and cheaper ways to go to get the same type of setup.

Rifle
White Oak Precision Service Rifle Upper w/ Kreiger Barrel
Compass Lake Engineering Lower w/Frank White 2-Stage Trigger

Stool
Creedmore Deluxe Stool
Ray-Vin Cart Conversion Kit

Jacket
Creedmoor Hardback Leather Shooting Jacket

Glove
Creedmore Full Finger Shooting Glove

Mat
Creedmoor Roll up Shooting Mat

Scope
Kowa TSN-661 Spot scope with 25x LER lens
Creedmore complete Scope Stand

Misc Accessories
50 Round hard case
High Power Data Book
Count Down Timer/Clock
Ray-Vin SuperSmoker
Wind Charts
Wind Meter
5 Magazines (1 for slow fire, 2 for 200 rapid and 2 for 300 rapid positions)
Sweat Towel & Head Band
Bug Spray
Suntan Lotion
Sweatshirt
Hat

Change of clothes when done shooting :)

This is pretty much my complete setup. There are many other vendors out there and cheaper ways to go to get the same type of setup.
Rifle
White Oak Precision Service Rifle Upper w/ Kreiger Barrel
Compass Lake Engineering Lower w/Frank White 2-Stage Trigger
Stool
Creedmore Deluxe Stool
Ray-Vin Cart Conversion Kit
Jacket
Creedmoor Hardback Leather Shooting Jacket
Glove
Creedmore Full Finger Shooting Glove
Mat
Creedmoor Roll up Shooting Mat
Scope
Kowa TSN-661 Spot scope with 25x LER lens
Creedmore complete Scope Stand
Misc Accessories
50 Round hard case
High Power Data Book
Count Down Timer/Clock
Ray-Vin SuperSmoker
Wind Charts
Wind Meter
5 Magazines (1 for slow fire, 2 for 200 rapid and 2 for 300 rapid positions)
Sweat Towel & Head Band
Bug Spray
Suntan Lotion
Sweatshirt
Hat
Change of clothes when done shooting :)

You forgot toothpaste. What toothpaste do you use?????
LOL

Several times in this thread the term "new shooter" was used. I've never shot a match anywhere. I'm intrigued with the CMP shoots. However my interest is the Garand and '03 matches. AR-15 type matches may come later when I aquired one.

I'm going to start in local shoots and hope to see Camp Perry someday. Keep me in mind if your ever getting a team together, I won't guarantee I could go, but I'd like the opportunity.

If anyone has advice of which club is good for a novice please let me know.
Disclaimer, I'm not a novice to shooting, I've been doing that for YEARS. I'm just knew to this aspect of shooting.

You can always hook up with Brent at Reading RR for high power. If you want to shoot next year I should be shooting regularly next season as well. We would be more than happy to show you the ropes of High Power.

No idea where you are, but Braintree R&P runs a CMP match the 3rd Saturday of each month (except the dead of Winter). www.brp.org

New shooters are always welcome and you can bring your own or use the club's rifles (AR15s or M1s) and ammo.

I'm one of the ROs during those matches.

We have some decent service rifle shooters up here, and we could put together a halfway competitive team, but we need a new shooter. If you go to Perry for the board matches, and the state doesn't have a competitive team, think hard about keeping your new shooter status.

Sometimes it can tke a couple of years to build up a team for the board mathes, but it is somthing you should keep in the back of your mind.

B

Brian, are you saying that next year when I go (whichever week), I should not shoot in the team matches (cherry preservation ploy)? Get some experience and then shoot them in 2008? Does it take a team that shoots all Highmaster scores to be competitive? I agree there are some very good SR shooters up here, but to pull them off of NRA week might be a challenge.

I've been shooting low to mid-Master scores with the Service Rifle this year. Hope to do a little better for the remaining Matches we have.

Brian, are you saying that next year when I go (whichever week), I should not shoot in the team matches (cherry preservation ploy)? Get some experience and then shoot them in 2008? Does it take a team that shoots all Highmaster scores to be competitive? I agree there are some very good SR shooters up here, but to pull them off of NRA week might be a challenge.

I've been shooting low to mid-Master scores with the Service Rifle this year. Hope to do a little better for the remaining Matches we have.

Pat,

These are the scores that were fired by the wining civilian team in the National Trophy Team Match. Good scores but nothing spectacular.

488 - 19
488 - 13
487 - 19
483 - 16
476 - 13
476 – 7

To get up on Stage at Perry is a very cool thing, and for most people the quickest way there is to shoot there way up on stage in a team event.

From my perspective, If I were still a New Shooter (I got burned in 93 and the team managed to come in second place) I would not fire in that team match unless there were five other shooters that practiced together (for at least one season) with the intention of winning that match. If that happens in 07 or 08 that would be awesome, but I would hold onto my new shooter status until you find the right five shooters to go to Perry with.

I’m not telling you what to do, but I hope you think hard about shooting that team match before you do.

The reason I mention this is so that you and others are informed. In one place I use to live, they would burn 3 or 4 new shooters on the same team in one year just so the duffers could shoot. They drove all the way out there and they want to shoot. Well you have to shoot 6 people to have a team, and they got the new guys to shoot because they didn’t know any better and the duffers didn’t care about being competitive.

All the really good shooters were like WTF! You guys just screwed the state out of the possibility of a competitive team for the next couple of years. They shot guys that had promises if they had a couple of years to develop, but it was way too early. If you shoot a 450 in the NMC, you should not be burned. You should have a couple of years to get up to the 470-480 range. I’m kind of interested in working with the state assoc. to put together a team for the CMP matches. I’d like to run a couple of training sessions and get all the team members on the same sheet of music. If we started now, we could have a decent team by 08. It would also be cool to get a Whistler Boy (Junior two person) team together

Going out and shooting is fun and all, but going out there and wining and getting up on stage is awesome![rockon]

B

Brian, are you saying that next year when I go (whichever week), I should not shoot in the team matches (cherry preservation ploy)

Just for clarification, the only team matches that I’m talking about are the National Trophy Team Match and the Infantry Trophy Team Match; both of which are CMP matches.

You can shoot the Hearst Doubles CMP team match and the NRA Rumbold and all of the NRA long range team matches.

It is very confusing if you have not been out there to keep track of all of the stuff.

B

Just as a pointer, shooting at Perry was almost a new learning exp in shooting High Power compared to what I already learned shooting at Reading MA, Nashua NH and Hampden ME. Keeping tabs on the ever changing wind conditions and the heat and humidity made for a challenging match.

My only recommendations is to shoot at some matches in the surrounding areas that are known to have windy conditions.

After Action Report

I sucked. I started out good on Monday with a 581 aggregate. Then the gusty wind on Tuesday morning (we started with offhand again) and match nerves made me shoot a 6 and a F%#@*! MISS! That, and a disastrous 179 at 600 made sure that I would not make High Master this trip out.

The next two days were OK with scores in the 570s, so I ended up with a (barely) Master score of 2270-40X.

NTT Match

Brian
I have never been to Camp Perry for CMP week. Been there 12 times, but never the first week. I shot Service Rifle for the first 5 times. I always wanted to go for the Presidents match, but never made it. I was always told CMP week is too much pit time for too little shooting. Would I count as a newby for the 6 man NTT match? I can still shoot the service rifle decent. Maybe I ought to go for CMP week next year. I'd like to think I could go for 2 weeks, but I don't think I'd make it, not without a congical visit anyway!
Dave Dow

Brian
I have never been to Camp Perry for CMP week. Been there 12 times, but never the first week. I shot Service Rifle for the first 5 times. I always wanted to go for the Presidents match, but never made it. I was always told CMP week is too much pit time for too little shooting. Would I count as a newby for the 6 man NTT match? I can still shoot the service rifle decent. Maybe I ought to go for CMP week next year. I'd like to think I could go for 2 weeks, but I don't think I'd make it, not without a congical visit anyway!
Dave Dow

Dave,

You are a New Shooter since you never shot the NTT. Sweet![rockon] I bet Maine could put together a very competitive team. We would have to beat Derek & Brent and any team he puts together though. [smile]

The most important thing would be to find someone with a Dillon to load ammo for the entire team and have several training sessions to lock in the zeros. Absolutely essential to have everyone shooting the same ammo. The NTT is just like a leg match with no sighters so the first shot has to be in the X ring.

Might be a good idea to get a group down to Qunatico to shoot a team match together at a big range.

Yeah CMP week kinda sucks in comparison. The days are long but you get a chance to shoot the President's Match. The team match we would need two pullers so that day we wouldn't pull. Might be a good idea to bring along some of the new talent to get them seasoned so we could have a competitive team in 08 as well.

B

Last edited:
Dave,

The team match we would need two pullers so that day we wouldn't pull. Might be a good idea to bring along some of the new talent to get them seasoned so we could have a competitive team in 08 as well.

B

I'll pull!

Brian
Dave Dow

Just an FYI, if you shoot the NTT in a OOC team, you wont lose your shooter status, but also you wont win anything either if you place high.. just bragging rights. I am sure you all knew that already.. I myself shot the NTT in a out of competition team because I didn't want to lose that right off the bat. Maybe next year I'll think about doing it if I see Maine bringing out a team. LOL

Just an FYI, if you shoot the NTT in a OOC team, you wont lose your shooter status, but also you wont win anything either if you place high.. just bragging rights. I am sure you all knew that already.. I myself shot the NTT in a out of competition team because I didn't want to lose that right off the bat. Maybe next year I'll think about doing it if I see Maine bringing out a team. LOL

Interesting. That must be a change since I got out of it. They use to require real teams and wouldn't let you do that. Can your scores count for the aggregates that include the NTT match?

B

Interesting. That must be a change since I got out of it. They use to require real teams and wouldn't let you do that. Can your scores count for the aggregates that include the NTT match?

B

I'm pretty sure shooting on an out of competition team makes you out of competition on any agg match as well.

Back
Top Bottom