Can Anyone Clarify

After countless phone calls I am still confused, can someone explain this to me. If a gun was manufactured before 10/98 I was told it does not mean it is automatically mass compliant. I was told it would have to be on the list and if it was not it would have to be in the state either in a private collection or a dealer.

How come when you go to different gun shops you get 10 different answers, some shops say anything made prior 10/98 they sell it others say the above. can anyone clarify this?

I wanted to buy a butler single shot pistol 22-short, but was told it was not mass compliant by the dealer and he could only sell it out of state. It was made in the 60's I believe, this is getting really confusing the more I look into the BS mass compliant laws the more confused I get.

Simple answer:

- NO handguns can be sold by MA Dealers to MA Residents UNLESS they are on the EOPS List AND meet the AG's Regs (No such thing as "AG Approved").

- They wrote a "grandfather clause" in the MGLs. Any gun that was possessed by a Licensee (LTC/FID/FFL) IN MA ON 10/21/98 is exempt from the above. My (IANAL) reading of the law is that the gun in question must be "in state" ON THAT DATE! As I read it, if the gun was sold to a CT dealer or resident on 10/20/98, it could NOT ever come back into MA for MA Dealer Sale to a MA Resident.

- Some shops will require proof from the person trying to sell it for them (and most people don't keep their receipts or FA-10s). Some will say "the hell with it" and sell it anyway (not legal). HOWEVER, the penalties and fines are STRICTLY on the MA Dealer and NOT ON THE BUYER. So if you see it, you want it, and a dealer will sell it to you, just buy it!

To further confuse things:

- AG Regs have a DIFFERENT (and more sensible IMNSHO) "grandfather clause". They exempt (ONLY from the AG Regs however) ALL handguns MADE before 10/21/98, REGARDLESS of where they were possessed on that date (they could have been in Yugoslavia)!

- This difference also adds to MA Dealer confusion.

Simple answer:

- NO handguns can be sold by MA Dealers to MA Residents UNLESS they are on the EOPS List AND meet the AG's Regs (No such thing as "AG Approved").

- They wrote a "grandfather clause" in the MGLs. Any gun that was possessed by a Licensee (LTC/FID/FFL) IN MA ON 10/21/98 is exempt from the above. My (IANAL) reading of the law is that the gun in question must be "in state" ON THAT DATE! As I read it, if the gun was sold to a CT dealer or resident on 10/20/98, it could NOT ever come back into MA for MA Dealer Sale to a MA Resident.

- Some shops will require proof from the person trying to sell it for them (and most people don't keep their receipts or FA-10s). Some will say "the hell with it" and sell it anyway (not legal). HOWEVER, the penalties and fines are STRICTLY on the MA Dealer and NOT ON THE BUYER. So if you see it, you want it, and a dealer will sell it to you, just buy it!

To further confuse things:

- AG Regs have a DIFFERENT (and more sensible IMNSHO) "grandfather clause". They exempt (ONLY from the AG Regs however) ALL handguns MADE before 10/21/98, REGARDLESS of where they were possessed on that date (they could have been in Yugoslavia)!

- This difference also adds to MA Dealer confusion.

After much reading and calling I have come to a conclusion this will eventually put all dealers out of business. So it really wont matter what is legal or isn't, its all a blur! I have to reconsider my views on gun shop owners, they have their heads stretched over the chopping block. With almost zero profits why do these guys stay in the business???

The intent of the law (in 1998) was to put the dealers out of business. Regrettably, they did not see the handwriting on the wall and band together to fight this in any meaningful way.

There was something like 1000 FFLs in MA before the 1998 law. I think that the current number is somewhere around 350 max.

I'd say that the law was very effective. [rolleyes]

There was something like 1000 FFLs in MA before the 1998 law. I think that the current number is somewhere around 350 max.

From what I have been told, many of those who went out of business were "kitchen shops", people who were selling from there house.

Yup, I used to do a lot of business with such shops. Some were run out of the garage attached or detached from the house.

Now they are going after what's left in the commercially zoned properties.

and home of the...

Brave? [thinking] Why can't MA NRA members (Read all gun owners)petition for accountability or run the bastards out of office i.e. AG or charge them obstructing business practices, or the number of false pretexts that they put up? why cant we all just stand up and point and say bull sh*t, that aint flying. I mean as a consumer this complicates things and CREATES potential felons, how do their regs and the "list" equal a "consumer protection" in any way. Isn't it directly stopping many gun companies from dealing in MA? How can we consume anything if 75% of FFL's got wacked by the anti-mob here in MA? [angry] Aren't these people elected cant we can their asses?? grrrr [angry2]

And if anyone stands in my way.... I will put a [jihad] on them!

Back
Top Bottom